Alamy have sent out an email which attempts to opt contributors in to the Newspaper Scheme without their consent, even if they've given express instructions to be opted out.

This opting-in-without-consent is almost certainly illegal (legally ineffective), since you would need to take steps to give positive consent to such an opt-in. In my case, it even claimed that I had read an email that I certainly hadn't. Normally I would have been completely unaware of what was happening, but by pure change I saw the second email.

The email reads:

"We recently sent you an email about our UK Newspaper scheme. 

We can see you opened the email but didn't reply to say that you want to remain opted out. We said you didn't need to reply if you wanted to be opted in so we hope we are right in assuming that you would like to be opted in to the UK Newspaper scheme and give your revenue a boost! 

We'll be opting you in to this revenue stream on 12th June. Don't worry though, if you change your mind and would like to stay out just reply to this email with 'no thanks' or you can opt yourself back out in My Alamy under the Additional Revenue Options section."

So photographers beware!

Simon

I received the same email. I have control over this through My Dashboard ( I have chosen not to be party to the Newspaper scheme) and am extremely offended at this underhanded way of trying to get us to change our decision. I learned a big lesson with Novel Use many years ago with $1.00 (gross) licences and a .49 cents (gross) licence of an award winning image. My response at the time was to remove the image and withdraw from Novel Use as soon as I could. I understand this is a competitive marketplace and that things evolve. If there is a better way, educate me. Being underhanded can only promote mistrust.  

It seems odd that Alamy would claim they knew you opened the email, as there is no way they could know this.

Geoff.

Not so, Geoff. Any email can be tracked in many ways, including but in no way limited to if/when it was read, how many times it was opened, if/when an action was taken as a direct result of the email and how much of the email was read. Big Brother is and has been watching for a long time.

I've been opted out but would like to know more--anyone care to give typical newspaper scheme license fees?

I got £7 for the print full page front cover of the G2 section of the Guardian, which is several times more than you get for a newspaper web use. I am opted out and will stay that way!

It seems odd that Alamy would claim they knew you opened the email, as there is no way they could know this.

Alamy's emails are HTML emails with remotely hosted images. For mass mailing, it is entirely possible (and common) for there to be a possibley invisble 1x1px image with whose url is unique for tracking purpose. If your email program or browser through webmail has loaded the image, then the sender can tell the email has been opened.

I agree that Alamy shouldn't be opting people in that have explicitly opted out before though, possibly hoping that they don't read their emails.

Thanks for this Simon.  I checked and found Alamy says I had opted in on April 5, 2017, but of course it's a case similar to what you've described.  I did not notice the original email and had not replied.  I have now opted out.  Prices are already low enough without encouraging schemes that result in even lower prices for our good images.

We agree that we’ve got this wrong, we had evidence of people not realising they were opted out, so we tried to make everyone aware and give people an opportunity to confirm they were opted out.

On reflection we should have asked people to confirm if they wanted IN.

Sometimes in an effort to be efficient we can lose sight of the best route so apologies for that.

We won’t be automatically opting anyone in who was previously out.

Cheers,

Alan Capel, Head of Content

21 minutes ago, Alamy said:

We agree that we’ve got this wrong, we had evidence of people not realising they were opted out, so we tried to make everyone aware and give people an opportunity to confirm they were opted out.

On reflection we should have asked people to confirm if they wanted IN.

Sometimes in an effort to be efficient we can lose sight of the best route so apologies for that.

We won’t be automatically opting anyone in who was previously out.

Cheers,

Alan Capel, Head of Content

Yes, I agree with losdemas, thanks for the clarification.

Archived