There is definitely a lot of truth to that old saying, "misery loves company." Here it is the last day of July and my "cleared balance" is stuck at $164.02, even though I have about $840 in my "balance brought forward." Admittedly, there are a few hours left in the month, but it looks as if this will probably be the second month in a row that I won't receive a payment from Alamy, whereas last year I could count on getting one almost every month. Is everyone else finding that magic $175 payout threshold tougher to reach?

Yes, which is why I asked the question during the recent "ask James" sessions.

I don't have a lot on my account but I would still like to get it if I can. Have some bills and expenses coming up and it would be good to get my hands on it.

The summer months are tough for me as well. During the winter I have a part-time teaching job. Given that we are getting paid less and sale prices are falling, I suggested instituting a payment on contributor demand system on another thread, but it didn't get any response. I wonder how difficult it would be for Alamy to set this up.

I have spoken/posted about this, directly to Alamy and on the forum. My opinion is that it shoud be lowered to reflect the lower prices being obtained and/or consideration given to a quarterly/annual account clear out.I can see NO moral reason to hang onto our money indefinately (if our sales fall or vanish) or until we end the contract. Those who have several thousand pics up and regular sales may, predictably, have a differing view.
:)

End of...
(no, I didn't get an answer).

$164.02 cleared out of $840 carried forward is about par .....i can usually count on 25-33% of the balance clearing each month....this month is a little lower, nearer your 20% level....but not unprecedented...

km

True, not unprecedented %-wise, but it now takes longer to accumulate enough cleared balance to reach the $175 threshold. As mentioned, I managed to surpass the mark on almost every month last year (and the payouts were considerably larger). To me, a POD (pay on demand) system -- with a small minimum -- now makes good sense given the lower commissions plus all the other changes that have taken place in 2013. I guess this might make things more difficult for the Alamy accounting department, but then things are tougher for contributors as well these days.

My last image licensed was 8 March.  I have $146.50 cleared in my account.  I had at least one image licensed per month prior to that.  I'd love to have an uncleared balance to carry forward - it shows hope.  With the way payments go, I'm afraid I won't see another penny from Alamy until 2014.  It's discouraging.

My last image licensed was 8 March.  I have $146.50 cleared in my account.  I had at least one image licensed per month prior to that.  I'd love to have an uncleared balance to carry forward - it shows hope.  With the way payments go, I'm afraid I won't see another penny from Alamy until 2014.  It's discouraging.

Ed, I wonder how many other contributors now find themselves in similar shoes, or will in the near future. A pay-on-demand system would IMO clear this situation up and help us all adapt to the lower income reality that seems to be taking shape.

While I will not receive anything this month I am not too fussed. Generally the bank charges involved make it less economical to receive small amounts. For my part I receive all my USD transfers in a USD account and only pay charges on withdrawals which I space out to mitigate minimum sum charges.

I normally receive 8 transfers a year.

dov

Any advance on $168.94 cleared balance?

It is somewhat irritating that any payout remains way off yet.

Whether a lower threshold, PoD or a time threshold, some more flexibility for payout would be helpful.

ann

Whether a lower threshold, PoD or a time threshold, some more flexibility for payout would be helpful.

ann

I agree, the current system is too inflexible given that sales and fees are now all over the place. I'm not sure that a lower threshold alone is the answer. There will always be those who want the threshold lowered even further and those who want it raised. That's why I think that a "Request Payment" button that could be be pushed or not pushed at the end of each month would be a better solution.

ann

I agree, the current system is too inflexible given that sales and fees are now all over the place. I'm not sure that a lower threshold alone is the answer. There will always be those who want the threshold lowered even further and those who want it raised. That's why I think that a "Request Payment" button that could be be pushed or not pushed at the end of each month would be a better solution.

+1

Archived