Stock as a job - what's your schedule?

Harris said he drank a bottle of vodka before lunch . . . and a second bottle after . . . in addition to everything else, of course. 

I don't have an 'Irish liver,' and I'm not really very much of a drinker. But I would have thrown caution to the winds to go on a pub crawl with either of those guys. I met Harris once in London, and found him utterly charming. But just under that charm lurked danger. 

Get up, go to bed. :P

Allan

OMG, I don't want to become a pensioner....... never  :o

Cheers,

Philippe  :P

I quite agree although I passed 'so-called' pensioner age five years ago. Still as busy as ever and capable of lugging a 10" x 8" around the landscape. (Better than a gym). Full schedule 7 days a week. Combination of travel, shooting personal projects, printing as the requests for prints come in from galleries, dealers and collectors. Last few days, platinum printing. Planning and researching new projects /exhibitions / publications etc. Also writing, teaching and leading workshops and masterclasses. 

What I do in between get up and go to bed is another matter but I assure you it is a full day. A very full day. -_-

Allan

B.t.w. Allan, are you sure you're a pensioner? You look rather fiftyish (is "fiftyish" proper English? :huh:). 

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, Many thanks for the complement. :)

My avatar image (Me, Myself and only Me) was taken on my 60th birthday so thanks for thinking I looked fifty-ish. (No not proper English but "something"-ish is in common everyday use.)  In fact when my age was announced a lady at the table behind me said she thought I looked forty-ish. :D  :P

If I posted an up to date image the only differences would be that my beard is completely grey and I am a bit thinner in the face. :(

I became an official pensioner 6.5 years ago. Actually retired from work in 2004. ;)

Allan

As a nature and travel photographer AND running a small agency, I work according to the weather and the seasons. 

• Fine weather with blue skies >> travel and landscape photography
  • Overcast weather >> ideal for shooting in forests (wildflowers / mushrooms / birds)

Most of the wintertime and when dealing with rainy days >> editing, keywording and submitting to several agencies.

From April till October I'm out roaming through Europe in my tiny Kangoo micro campervan looking for subjects to shoot. 

• January - February: lots of editing + one or two week trips to shoot winter wildlife + musea
  • March: lots of editing + amphibians + musea
  • April: lots of editing + amphibians/reptiles + first wildflowers + migratory birds + nesting birds + travel
  • May - October: travel + wildlife + editing only during bad weather
  • September - November: mushrooms + fall colors + rutting season of deer + editing
  • December: rutting season of ibex + editing

This week:

• Sunday: spend all day in a fixed hide photographing migratory birds in a wetland
  • Monday: quarterly TVA bookkeeping
  • Tuesday: editing + keywording
  • Wednesday: editing + keywording
  • Thursday: shooting cave (tourist attraction, no speleology involved ;))
  • Friday - Saturday - ..... trip to Luxembourg looking for nesting dippers (Cinclus cinclus)

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

I wonder if you would be willing to share a little about your approach when shooting in a museum? I live in Minneapolis with brutal winters and am always interested in ideas for shooting indoor stock photos. Thanks so much!

Gina

As a nature and travel photographer AND running a small agency, I work according to the weather and the seasons. 

• Fine weather with blue skies >> travel and landscape photography
  • Overcast weather >> ideal for shooting in forests (wildflowers / mushrooms / birds)

Most of the wintertime and when dealing with rainy days >> editing, keywording and submitting to several agencies.

From April till October I'm out roaming through Europe in my tiny Kangoo micro campervan looking for subjects to shoot. 

• January - February: lots of editing + one or two week trips to shoot winter wildlife + musea
  • March: lots of editing + amphibians + musea
  • April: lots of editing + amphibians/reptiles + first wildflowers + migratory birds + nesting birds + travel
  • May - October: travel + wildlife + editing only during bad weather
  • September - November: mushrooms + fall colors + rutting season of deer + editing
  • December: rutting season of ibex + editing

This week:

• Sunday: spend all day in a fixed hide photographing migratory birds in a wetland
  • Monday: quarterly TVA bookkeeping
  • Tuesday: editing + keywording
  • Wednesday: editing + keywording
  • Thursday: shooting cave (tourist attraction, no speleology involved ;))
  • Friday - Saturday - ..... trip to Luxembourg looking for nesting dippers (Cinclus cinclus)

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

I wonder if you would be willing to share a little about your approach when shooting in a museum? I live in Minneapolis with brutal winters and am always interested in ideas for shooting indoor stock photos. Thanks so much!

Gina

If I'm not on assignment, I adopt the  :ph34r: approach. 

• Buy a Sony RX100 (if you haven't one already)
  • Act as a tourist
  • Ask if taking pictures is allowed (if not announced)
  • If not allowed BUT you see everyone else shooting happily with their mobile phones without a problem ....... well that's up to you  ^_^

Technically concerning Sony RX100:

• set to night scene >> able to shoot handheld in RAW with very little noise
  • set to handheld in dim light when "night scene" doesn't produce acceptable results >> Jpeg only, quality so-so but often acceptable
  • use the tiniest tripod you can find >> use aperture priority and shoot RAW

If I manege to obtain access to shoot on beforehand: take along tripod and Nikon camera and act ...... professionally  ;)

Hope this helps  ^_^

Cheers,

Philippe

F2GE8B.jpg   HECEJY.jpg   DCDXJF.jpg

DCJK4M.jpg   F3D56N.jpg   FJ6E14.jpg

Philippe, yes that helps very much, thank you!!  :)

Always a pleasure to help a damsel in distress  -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe!

I took your advice and bought a Sony Rx100 (M2). Just got it yesterday, woke up this morning to SNOW so I decided today was a good day for a test run at the Museum of Russian Art here in Minneapolis. I messed up though and shot in regular auto, and not night scene, and there is way too much noise in the photos. One question: when you're shooting indoors at a museum, and you're shooting in night scene mode, are you also using a tripod, or just shooting handheld? And also, if you have any other words of wisdom to share about the RX100, I'd be very grateful for anything you want to share. Thank you again!

Gina

Edo,

TWO BUCK CHUCK, I remember the day in was introduced at Trader Joe's in California.

I stood there asking others, " Can this be drinkable?"  The Cab is OK, but for me

it is the Shiraz or Nuvo.  The Pino is great to cook with.

Don't get me started on Vodka, when I lived in Moscow a bottle of Krystal was fifty cents

from Stolichnaya factory 01.

Vodka helps with the stock workflow........

Edo,

TWO BUCK CHUCK, I remember the day in was introduced at Trader Joe's in California.

I stood there asking others, " Can this be drinkable?"  The Cab is OK, but for me

it is the Shiraz or Nuvo.  The Pino is great to cook with.

Don't get me started on Vodka, when I lived in Moscow a bottle of Krystal was fifty cents

from Stolichnaya factory 01.

Vodka helps with the stock workflow........

I would assume the Russians know a thing or two about vodka, and maybe in Poland too. But I took a blind taste test with Stolichanya and a Polish and a Scandinavian and Smirnoff . . . and Smirnoff won. I went into shock. But I'm a Irish Yank -- what business do I have judging vodka?  :wacko:

Marianne: that's probably a problem with your inner ear, and it will almost certainly cure itself. Stay calm, and not high-wire walking. 

Always a pleasure to help a damsel in distress  -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe!

I took your advice and bought a Sony Rx100 (M2). Just got it yesterday, woke up this morning to SNOW so I decided today was a good day for a test run at the Museum of Russian Art here in Minneapolis. I messed up though and shot in regular auto, and not night scene, and there is way too much noise in the photos. One question: when you're shooting indoors at a museum, and you're shooting in night scene mode, are you also using a tripod, or just shooting handheld? And also, if you have any other words of wisdom to share about the RX100, I'd be very grateful for anything you want to share. Thank you again!

Gina

night scene mode (RAW) >> only handheld. Take care about focusing precisely because in very dim light, you're restricted to f1.8.

To focus:

• place you subject smack in the middle
  • push the button inside the selector wheel >>> you see a square around your subject
  • recompose (you'll notice the square stays on your subject

ss_handt.png  handheld-twilight mode (Jpeg) >> only when night scene doesn't give acceptable results. The camera uses ISO 800 but gets rid of the noise, so the image might look a bit "muddy"

When I use the little tripod, I set the camera to aperture priority. I can highly recommend this tripod  ;)

Remember night scene mode very often gives good results ..... but not always (it also has it limits). You need a steady hand nonetheless. Reducing the size to 4252 x 2835 (36cm  x 24cm) also helps. 

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe,

Thank you! I'm heading to a museum this morning so will try your recommendations. Again, very much appreciated!  :)

Gina

Archived