Photos of me on Alamy, how do i contact owner?

Hi guys, 

Quick and probably very easy to answer question.

There are a few photos of me on this website that i don't remember given permission to be used as stock, is that something i would of had to agree to?

http://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=jamie%20langlands&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

I would like to contact the owner and see if i can get copies of these. How would i go about doing that?

I am a garden designer and this is of one of my show gardens.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jamie.

Hi guys, 

There are a few photos of me on this website that i don't remember given permission to be used as stock, is that something i would of had to agree to?

http://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=jamie%20langlands&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

I would like to contact the owner and see if i can get copies of these. How would i go about doing that?

Thank you!

Jamie.

You may want to read this blog post

And this one.

wim

Interesting, for sure. Maybe i'm being dumb but it doesn't seem to fall into those categories. 

''Images taken in public places

If you didn’t give your permission, but the photographer took the image in a public place, the image can be used if it meets either of the below:

• It is being used for editorial use e.g. to illustrate an article or story
  • The photo is of a crowd in a public place e.g. at a festival or on a busy street ''

These are posed photos, of me alone. 

Interesting, for sure. Maybe i'm being dumb but it doesn't seem to fall into those categories. 

''Images taken in public places

If you didn’t give your permission, but the photographer took the image in a public place, the image can be used if it meets either of the below:

• It is being used for editorial use e.g. to illustrate an article or story
  • The photo is of a crowd in a public place e.g. at a festival or on a busy street ''

These are posed photos, of me alone. 

At a glance, it seems to fall directly into the first line of that note above.

You didn't directly give permission, however, the photographer has clearly marked these as being without either model or property releases - hence they're fine for editorial use.

Are you saying this wasn't a place where the public were allowed access?

Hi guys, 

Thank you!

Jamie.

I'd suggest you e-mail Alamy and ask them to pass on your contact details and ask him to contact you.  Or if he can be traced through a search engine then contact him directly.

As to the question of permission.  He can sell the images through Alamy to illustrate you as the garden designer or the particular show where the image was taken.  The pictures cannot be used to promote the work of any other garden designer or any product, or at least you might reasonably complain if that happened.  Other uses which would be unreasonable would be if it were used in a defamatory context. 

In general where a person poses for a photograph a condition of confidence arises between the photographer and subject.  It does not give the photographer a right to publish the image, in fact that could potentially be a breach of confidence.  However where someone poses at a press conference or to someone who is, or appears to be, a press photographer they are posing in the expectation of the picture being published and the ensuing publicity.  As long as that publicity relates to the event and the subject himself then that is reasonable.  But the mere fact that someone allows or co-operates with having their picture taken does not give rise to a right to publish.

Hi guys, 

Thank you!

Jamie.

I'd suggest you e-mail Alamy and ask them to pass on your contact details and ask him to contact you.  Or if he can be traced through a search engine then contact him directly.

As to the question of permission.  He can sell the images through Alamy to illustrate you as the garden designer or the particular show where the image was taken.  The pictures cannot be used to promote the work of any other garden designer or any product, or at least you might reasonably complain if that happened.  Other uses which would be unreasonable would be if it were used in a defamatory context. 

In general where a person poses for a photograph a condition of confidence arises between the photographer and subject.  It does not give the photographer a right to publish the image, in fact that could potentially be a breach of confidence.  However where someone poses at a press conference or to someone who is, or appears to be, a press photographer they are posing in the expectation of the picture being published and the ensuing publicity.  As long as that publicity relates to the event and the subject himself then that is reasonable.  But the mere fact that someone allows or co-operates with having their picture taken does not give rise to a right to publish.

The photographer's name is the first few hits on Google and the OP has already found him.

I don't know where you are, but this example is in England. The restrictions aren't quite so onerous. Where someone poses for a press photographer he'll have a hard time arguing that it can't be used.

Thanks everyone for wading in before I had a chance to get back to Jamie. He emailed me a couple of days ago but I was tied up until now. We are in contact. 

For the record, I was at the event in the grounds of Blenheim Palace with permission of the organisers and the pictures in question we originally taken for a local newspaper. This is something I would have explained at the time but the (smallish) garden was rammed and the shot I wanted (with the funky fountain) was across the full width so communication wasn't the easiest and basically involved lots of shouting. At one point I had to get the entrance blocked to get a clear view!

As others have pointed out there are no model/property releases, its a press picture after all, which restricts the use to editorial only although ultimately that would be an issue for the publisher and not me. 

Archived