Pricing an image

I have been asked to invoice a client for an image used as the cover of a book and am not sure how to price it.

The client I have worked with previously, the editor am connected to on social media so have a reasonable relationship, they asked me a year and half ago to submit some images for possible use and I thought they had changed their mind until I received an invitation to the book launch featuring one of my images, I got in touch and they said I should invoice, we had at no point discussed a price, a quick look up of pricing on Alamy suggests something around $600 depending on print run ( am not sure what that will be) but am pretty sure they will not go for that, the book is published or just about to be so its not as though they are in a position to argue but I would rather avoid that.

Am I worrying too much and should just bill them about $600?

Меня попросили выставить счет клиента для изображения, используемого в качестве обложки книги, и я не уверен, как цена его.

Клиент я работал с ранее, редактор я подключен к на социальные медиа поэтому имеют разумные отношения, они попросили меня полтора года назад представить несколько изображений для возможного использования, и я думал, что они изменили свое мнение, пока я не получил приглашение на презентации книги с изображением одного из моих изображений, я вошел в контакт, и они сказали, что я должен выставить счет, мы ни в одной точке не обсуждали цену, быстрый взгляд вверх цены на ALAMY предлагает что-то около $ 600 в зависимости от тиража (не уверен, что это будет), но я уверен, что они не пойдут на это, книга издана или просто о том, чтобы быть поэтому его не так, как будто они находятся в состоянии спорить, но я предпочел бы избежать этого.

Могу ли я беспокоиться слишком много, и надо просто выставить счет им около $ 600?

Write to them that this is your gift.
(In fact, you already gave, when provided for possible use, without discussing cost)
Can they at least put the monument, although I do not think ...
Sorry, thinking out loud ...

(In fact, you already gave, when provided for possible use, without discussing cost)

Obviously it's not a gift if they've asked you for an invoice. Filling a photo request is no indication that it's free.

You could give them a call, or send them an email asking how much they normally pay for this kind of usage. Or you could send an invoice for $600 and see how they respond to that.

fD

Obviously it's not a gift if they've asked you for an invoice. Filling a photo request is no indication that it's free.

You could give them a call, or send them an email asking how much they normally pay for this kind of usage. Or you could send an invoice for $600 and see how they respond to that.

fD

I do not think honest and reasonable thing a publisher will start to replicate without the prior agreement of the cost of inputs (in our case - the image).
For the price, you can not come to an agreement, and pechanaya car is already to be launched, the publisher, in this case the costs are unavoidable. There is no logic.

Bill them what you feel is fair. If there was no pricing discussion beforehand and they have already used the image, they are basically at your mercy... IMO $600 would be at the rather low end of the spectrum for front cover use, obviously depending on distribution, but this could be quite higher.

-Jason

A

I have been asked to invoice a client for an image used as the cover of a book and am not sure how to price it.

The client I have worked with previously, the editor am connected to on social media so have a reasonable relationship, they asked me a year and half ago to submit some images for possible use and I thought they had changed their mind until I received an invitation to the book launch featuring one of my images, I got in touch and they said I should invoice, we had at no point discussed a price, a quick look up of pricing on Alamy suggests something around $600 depending on print run ( am not sure what that will be) but am pretty sure they will not go for that, the book is published or just about to be so its not as though they are in a position to argue but I would rather avoid that.

Ask them what their budget is for the particular use.

denden

It all really depends on what the print run of the book is.   If it's just someone's self published book, you probably wouldn't charge that much.  If it's the cover of a Stephen King novel, I'd be asking for some coin.  When in doubt, ask them what's in the budget, and go from there.  If they really like the photo, you'll probably be able to negotiate a few bucks more.

IME when clients ask for an invoice without discussing price first, it's usually a ploy. Try to get as many details as you can from the client-- print run, duration, region, languages, etc. Then ask what their budget is and go from there. The amount that they paid you for the previously published image should also help give you an idea of what they are willing to pay. Good luck.

IME when clients ask for an invoice without discussing price first, it's usually a ploy. Try to get as many details as you can from the client-- print run, duration, region, languages, etc. Then ask what their budget is and go from there. The amount that they paid you for the previously published image should also help give you an idea of what they are willing to pay. Good luck.

That is closer to reality! Learn all the details, and contact through the official complaint.
Good luck, I think everything will be fine!

You can also use the London freelance fees guide( survey?) for UK pricing. I believe it is maintained based on prices actually achieved by UK freelancers.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?language=en&country=UK&section=Photography&subsect=Online+use+of+photos

Dude advises to from giving the image away to starting negotiations at $8000

SMH

I offer an abstract amount, the customer also has to understand that the work of the photographer is a great work, not entertainment, as many believe. Unfortunately not everybody understands properly. I wish the author only of success in such a situation!

Archived