What is it with these people

To: Webmaster

---------------

Organisation
Le Tour Guide

Tel Number
--------------

I wanted to get in touch as I am a great fan of your work and
instantly thought of you when discussing a project I am starting up.

As you undoubtedly know, the Tour de France, one of the world's
largest sporting events, comes to Yorkshire next year with the 'Grand
Depart' going through some of the regions finest villages, towns,
cities and countryside. I am an author, columnist, journalist and
travel writer and my business partner (one of the UK's leading content
and marketing gurus) and I are setting up an exciting website that
will be an 'Insider's Guide' to the region (a 'Le Tour Guide', if you
will), and aim to be the number one resource for the estimated 3m
visitors who will be descending on these parts next summer.

This will not only include the 'insider's guide' places to eat, drink,
sleep, etc. but also loads of essential information for anyone looking
to get more from the tour and their trip to the county - i.e.walks,
cycle routes and places to watch the race. Broken down into key
locations on the routes, the site will be visually stunning and
incredibly user friendly, showcasing exactly what there is to see in
God's County.

Obviously a big part of the look of the site is going to be the photos
of the key locations. Hotels, pubs, etc will have their own stock
imagery we will utilise, but we are looking for a photographer with an
exceptional and professional eye to capture the best shots possible of
every location, as well as a series of general 'road shots' to dress
the route sections.

We thought of you.

The bad news is that we are running on a shoestring and, as such,
there is no budget for a photographer. HOWEVER, the opportunity for
exposure is massive. This will be a top ranking site. The sheer wealth
of traffic that will be looking at your images is going to be
enormous. This will be a gallery wall to millions and we will credit
you fully for your work, providing links through to your site. We are
also in talks with national newspapers to create print pullouts of the
guides, so your images may well end up gracing some of the UK's
biggest broadsheets.

In terms of doors opening and opportunities, it doesn't get much
bigger than this.

The boon for you is that you probably have images for every location
already. This wouldn't require any extra work.

Anyway, do let me know if you're interested and maybe we can talk
through.

-----

Here's my reply.

Hi ------,

Many thanks for your recent email regarding photos for the Le tour website. unfortunately (Much like yourself and your team, I would guess) I simply cannot afford to work for free. This is not the first time I have been asked to supply images with the reward being 'massive exposure' and in the early days I have even fallen for it a couple of times. It amounted to exactly zero. My images are already used in national newspapers, calendars, books, magazines, websites and advertising campaigns. I have won awards for my images in national photography competitions and my images get exposure because I have worked very hard and spent a great deal of money to get my website to rank highly in Google. I have spent many thousands of pounds on the best equipment and taken years learning how to use it to get to the stage where I am now.

You say you 'don't have a budget' and you are 'working on a shoestring' WHY?

If I want to advertise on this site, will it be free?

If you would like to talk sensibly regarding putting together an image package for you, then I would be very open to negotiations and would be able to offer them at a fair price. As I live very near to key areas on the Le tour route, I would also be able to shoot images exactly to your brief.

If you are interested, do let me know,

Thanks and best wishes,

David.

I just can't believe people are still using the same old tired lines!!!

Yes, I think it is or I wouldn't have posted it would I? I've had loads of these type of 'amazing offers' over the years. And I thought it was a way to show a possible (sensible) response.

I am just thinking that communications between your businesses is somewhat confidential. If I were a buyer and would know that at any point my communication could en up in a forum I would think twice about contacting you for business. Just a thought. I could be completely wrong though.

Thanks Semmick, I understand what you mean. But I'm willing to take the risk this once. As the 'Business' in question is not offering any kind of 'Business' then it cannot really be considered a 'Business' now can it. If only it had the effect you describe on this type of 'Business' Then that would be a good thing, no?

Thanks Semmick, I understand what you mean. But I'm willing to take the risk this once. As the 'Business' in question is not offering any kind of 'Business' then it cannot really be considered a 'Business' now can it. If only it had the effect you describe on this type of 'Business' Then that would be a good thing, no?

Neither would I consider this as confidential business communication - it is on the level of confidence trick or spam.

You should have told them you were putting together a website showing images of key locations visted by the tour de France as it travels through Yorkshire. You were hoping that a journalist/travel writing would be willing to offer their services to supply text for said site. Obviously ... "shoestring" etc.  but the exposure would be massive.  

It's not just free-loading strangers. I get folk in my friend circle and family how just expect me to turn up with a camera and start shooting. 

"Hey Paul it's great you're coming to *insert event* Will you be bringing your camera?, I'd love some quality shots for Facebook" 

*Holds head in hands" No I'll not be going to the event lol 

On another note i get emails from companies wanting me to sell on the cheap cheap outside of my exclusive agencies where they saw an image they want to use. They say my agency wants too much $. Of course i say noooooooooooo. We're soon going to be pushed out of this business as there will be no return for our time.

Haha. Thanks for the replies. I've had some beauties just recently. "We are opening up a range of luxury holiday lets and are looking for some large canvases of the surrounding area to go on the wall" "This would be a great way for you to advertise your photographs" Also had the same line from a private hospital of all places.

Below has inspired me to open a Bed & Breakfast and keep costs down by eliminating beds from budget.

"..... Obviously a big part of the look of the site is going to be the photos

of the key locations.....

The bad news is that we are running on a shoestring and, as such,

there is no budget for a photographer..."

It's not just free-loading strangers. I get folk in my friend circle and family how just expect me to turn up with a camera and start shooting. 

"Hey Paul it's great you're coming to *insert event* Will you be bringing your camera?, I'd love some quality shots for Facebook" 

*Holds head in hands" No I'll not be going to the event lol 

Oh yeah, thats a familiar one. My attitude has hardened considerably over the years and now most people don't bother asking me anymore. The upside of learning the word "NO" is that I don't get invited to quite so many tedious events  :)

I always find the reply, "I refer you to the response given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram" useful in this sort of situation.

Haha! :) That's an all time classic reply!

J

p.s. Good reply by the OP (though I liked JohnB's too). You'll not hear from them again...

When this happens to me, I say "Come round and wash my car. I can't pay you... but I'll tell everyone what a good job you did"...

Also, I don't get stressed about this kind of 'non-business communication'. Bottom line? Just say "no"!

Yep, I have had it as well it was.... can we have some of your images for our car club magazine and calender, we will put your name in the magazine and send you calenders for yourself and friends and it gets distributed all over the place including the states, it will probably do you some good........yeah how naive was I back then :(  ..No credit in mag and no calenders :angry: ...Still it's taught me something..pay up or get someone else to do it, as I can sit at home and earn nothing.. :)

Archived