Hi fellow contributors,

I think this is a buzzard (buteo buteo), but am far from an expert in these matters.

Can anybody here confirm this please ? and is it young or old, male or female ?

The poor soul was found dead on the M6 Motorway in Staffordshire, England.

thanks,

Phil

dead-bird-of-prey-on-the-m6-motorway-in-

The poor soul was found dead on the M6 Motorway in Staffordshire, England.

Regrettable, but it was probably en route to kill something else!

I think it's buzzards who sit on the fence posts beside the motorways, looking for dinner. Often see that.

So yes......probably looking for something else to eat !

I saw it on the hard shoulder half way up an exit slip road (so vehicles slowing down) , so probably why it wasn't squashed.

Because of the location it does seem likely to be the victim of a road accident, though there is little sign of impact injury other than the position of the wing.  One other possibility is that it has been poisoned, if a photog comes across a dead bird of prey where this is suspected the police should be informed as persecution of such birds is still far too common and is illegal (in the UK).

There is also at least one organisation, the Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme which would be pleased if you sent them the body of some birds of prey for post-mortem -http://pbms.ceh.ac.uk/ They will even send you a pre-paid post box to put it in,

Because of the location it does seem likely to be the victim of a road accident, though there is little sign of impact injury other than the position of the wing.  One other possibility is that it has been poisoned, if a photog comes across a dead bird of prey where this is suspected the police should be informed as persecution of such birds is still far too common and is illegal (in the UK).

There is also at least one organisation, the Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme which would be pleased if you sent them the body of some birds of prey for post-mortem -http://pbms.ceh.ac.uk/ They will even send you a pre-paid post box to put it in,

I once sent the BTO a goldcrest in an envelope.

Archived