NEX 6 death rattle?

Today the camera started to make a clicking sound, and flicking between features. Removing and replacing the battery had no effect. With the camera switched off I twirled the various dials, and this seemed to bring about a cure. Muck on contacts perhaps? Hopefully a transient problem, but maybe the beginning of the end....

Perhaps grumpiness is contagious (just kidding). B)

Is there a way to reset the camera to "factory settings" or some similar state? That could help, maybe.

My NEX-6 continues to be very reliable, but I haven't used it nearly as much as you have yours.

Good luck.

P.S. Here in Canada, Sony prices have risen about 25% recently, so my NEX-6 had better keep 'soldiering on' for a long time to come..

Yes a used NEX 6 may be the answer, I keep checking the price of the a6300 and it now costs more than when introduced. Maybe after Xmas there will be a reduction, but, at the moment, it's way too big an investment related to my stock earnings. You can buy a FF Sony for less!

I haven't needed to do a full reset as yet John, but thanks for the link.

We have a very good local camera technician, and I might ask him to give the camera's innards a good scrub if the problem reappears.

I can't really complain, the camera gets a lot of abuse and has taken many thousands of shots, the body is in need of a respray, but that would be an unnecessary indulgence.

Yes a used NEX 6 may be the answer, I keep checking the price of the a6300 and it now costs more than when introduced. Maybe after Xmas there will be a reduction, but, at the moment, it's way too big an investment related to my stock earnings. You can buy a FF Sony for less!

I haven't needed to do a full reset as yet John, but thanks for the link.

We have a very good local camera technician, and I might ask him to give the camera's innards a good scrub if the problem reappears.

I can't really complain, the camera gets a lot of abuse and has taken many thousands of shots, the body is in need of a respray, but that would be an unnecessary indulgence.

Better make sure your technician doesn't simply toss it in the dishwasher.

Don't know about the UK, but there are some good deals here on the a6000. For some reason, the a6300 costs twice as much.

Since you use manual focus lenses most of the time, a used NEX-7 might do the trick as well if you can't find a 6.

Not sure that I could make do with the inferior viewfinder on the a6000, I like the high resolution EVF on the NEX 6 for manual focus. Having said that I've not tried the a6000, it could be OK.

A6300 vastly overpriced for my purposes, the main advantages seem to lie with video and autofocus. I don't make any money out of video and I don't make much use of autofocus.

Nex7 a possibility, but not sure about sensor noise.

I brought my NEX-7 body up to Adorama a few months ago to sell. In the past they had given me fair prices for my used gear. This time they offered me $50 for this very good, if not so user friendly, Sony that I had paid $900 for about 4 years ago, I decided to keep it, and to switch back and forth with my NEX-6. I have an RX10 and an RX100-iii that get more use, but I need the NEX format to make use of the 10-18 zoom, a lens I find useful in this packed-in city of skyscrapers. Good luck, Bryan.

Not sure that I could make do with the inferior viewfinder on the a6000, I like the high resolution EVF on the NEX 6 for manual focus. Having said that I've not tried the a6000, it could be OK.

A6300 vastly overpriced for my purposes, the main advantages seem to lie with video and autofocus. I don't make any money out of video and I don't make much use of autofocus.

Nex7 a possibility, but not sure about sensor noise.

Yes, I agree the a6300 is ridiculously overpriced -- a Sony tradition with new models. Spending more than one needs to on equipment just doesn't make financial sense these days.

I see quite a few used NEX-6's offered for sale here, probably by people who have switched to the a7 cameras. I bought a used NEX-3 for a song four years ago, and it has paid for itself many times over. It's still going strong as well. It's always the luck of the draw, though, with used stuff.

I brought my NEX-7 body up to Adorama a few months ago to sell. In the past they had given me fair prices for my used gear. This time they offered me $50 for this very good, if not so user friendly, Sony that I had paid $900 for about 4 years ago, I decided to keep it, and to switch back and forth with my NEX-6. I have an RX10 and an RX100-iii that get more use, but I need the NEX format to make use of the 10-18 zoom, a lens I find useful in this packed-in city of skyscrapers. Good luck, Bryan.

Thanks Edo.

I've not checked the used prices of the NEX 7, but $50 seems a pretty poor deal to me. Suspect you would do better on eBay, or, carry on using it.

My NEX6 has been OK today, so probably just dirt on a contact. If not, I'll do as John suggests and look for a used 6.

Bryan, I have a NEX-6 and thought that the A6000 viewfinder was inferior just looking at the specifications. In theory that should be the case. Sometimes reality has a different answer. I purchased the A6000 when Sony offered £50 cashback and was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually like the A6000 viewfinder better. It is brighter and fast. No complaints on that score. The A6000 is just the job for Alamy and my Sony zoom lenses have handled the 24Mp well. Also good to have the Sony A series menu rather than the NEX variety. Don't see any reason for buying a A6300. A "better" camera with a lot of improvements I don't need. The A6000 will do me for a long time - in fact until it packs up. I don't see any improvements Sony can make that make my A6000 and RX100M3 obsolete for my purposes.

Bryan, I have a NEX-6 and thought that the A6000 viewfinder was inferior just looking at the specifications. In theory that should be the case. Sometimes reality has a different answer. I purchased the A6000 when Sony offered £50 cashback and was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually like the A6000 viewfinder better. It is brighter and fast. No complaints on that score. The A6000 is just the job for Alamy and my Sony zoom lenses have handled the 24Mp well. Also good to have the Sony A series menu rather than the NEX variety. Don't see any reason for buying a A6300. A "better" camera with a lot of improvements I don't need. The A6000 will do me for a long time - in fact until it packs up. I don't see any improvements Sony can make that make my A6000 and RX100M3 obsolete for my purposes.

Thanks for that. Have you tried comparing the a6000 and NEX 6 viewfinders for manual focus? The 10x magnification on the 6 is useful, but, equally well, a brighter lower res EVR might be OK.

• 9 months later...

Further NEX 6 woes, it's now my standby camera so not so critical, but I have been seeing the dreaded, "Camera error. Turn power off then on." message.

This appears to be a well documented fault, possibly related to a small spring attached to the shutter mechanism, with professional repair costs exceeding the value of the camera.  I have been able to get around the problem so far by switching off the Front Shutter Curtain. 

In truth it has been a faithful servant, delivering many thousands of images while being dropped several times and being carted and bounced around on a bicycle. It is now lacking paint on the edges, so no real cause for complaint.

My long suffering and ancient Pentax M 28mm f2.8 has also succumbed to long term abuse. I began to notice that it had begun focussing to infinity at less than the infinity setting, while the edges of images were showing signs of deterioration. Its death throes revealed themselves as a rattle when the lens was shaken. I guess that an internal element had become detached, possibly not helped by French 40 degC+ temperatures inside our tiny caravan. Back in the frozen wastes of NE England the rattle has gone, but so has my trust in this lens. Almost certainly not worth fixing. I have a collection of alternative vintage glass, but I might just look out on Ebay to see if there are any bargains to be had.

Archived