Soon enough I get a unique opportunity to shoot a huge air-show near my place. I have absolutely no prior experience in any such photo-coverage. All suggestions welcome. Wanna shoot both stills & videos (shall have an assistant at hand). For hardware I have Nikon D800e (x2), a Nikon D7100, and a Sony RX10_iii. For all the DLRs I have full range of glass from about 15mm (rectilinear) till 300/2.8 prime. Also have a TC14EII, though would like to avoid using it. Monopod & tripods are available too. Would like to shoot the stationed planes (some close-ups too), fly-pasts, air force personnel, and the thronging spectators too. Thanks in advance.

Kumar, India

Don't forget to use a relatively slow shutterspeed when photographing propeller planes and helicopters. Between 1/25 sec to 1/125 second should do the trick and thus show a nice blurred effect of the blades.

F1KKE6.jpg

Cheers,

Philippe

Hmm ... thanks ... so I may hv to use my monopod, as I won't like to open-up the lens much ... or else pan the shots well !

Kumar, India

vulcan-bomber-2011-sunderland-air-show-n

Sunderland Airshow Canon 450D 1/1000th f10 Sigma 100-300 f4 ISO400 hand held, you can't easily track the flight using a tripod

Focus used to be a problem, more misses than hits,  but with a more recent camera and a f2.8 lens, you should be fine.

A trick you might try with a monopod is to put the foot in a little pouch hanging on your belt, like a millitary standard or marching band flag bearer. A cheap compact camera belt bag does the job, the sort of thing that is often available in the odds & ends bin at photo dealers. Gives stability but allows easier panning by turning from the hips/knees. A technique I have seen used when working trackside at motorsport events. Not tried it myself but keep meaning to; never organised enough when the opportunity arises.

Your profile says you are in India, so lucky you for being outside of the claws of our CAA. UK display distances have increased such that you'd need the TC. I use a Sigma 50-500 and more often that not it's at full range for the entire show.

For fast jets aim for a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 depending on the weather (there's me, thinking UK again!), and as slow as you dare for props. A rule of thumb depending on bravery is 1/100th for every 100mm, I'm rarely below 1/400th. Drop down for take-offs and landings as the ground speeds are lower. I found a monopod to be a hindrance, as flight paths during displays can be so unpredictable in every dimension.

For taxiing props 1/80th would give nice discs. Go too slow and they'll actually disappear. 

I have an unhealthy number of aviation images on my blog, which may be of interest. https://avpicsphilwhalley.wordpress.com/

Thank you Bryan, Martin Wilson and Avpics for your valuable inputs. I hope to be using the following four sets of equipment :

1. Nikon D800e/Nikkor 200-400/4
2. Nikon D800e/Nikkor 70-200/2.8_II
3. Nikon D7100/Nikkor 300/2.8
4. Sony RX10_iii (for videos)

Yes Martin Wilson, thanks, I like the idea of half, belt-nestled monopod with a fluid head, with a separate plate attached for each of the three lenses mentioned at 1 till 3 in the list above> Sony will be handled separately by my assistant from atop a tripod.

Kumar, India

I recently photographed an Airshow - the best equipment I found was Canon 7D Mark 2 (10 fps) with the canon 70-200 mk2 and 2x converter making an effective focal length of 640mm - however you may be able to be closer to the aircraft in flight

To blur propellers in flight needed 1/100-1/250 shutter speed but then it can be difficult to get the plane in focus - needs good panning technique - remember to switch the horizontal image stabilisation off if you have it on the Nikon lenses

Kumar

Don't be disheartened if you only achieve modest results at this, your first air show. All action photography needs practice and time to learn the specifics of the event and to master the techniques needed. I used to shoot a lot of sport and covering new ones effectively took several events, or at least many hours and a lot of thought, to get in tune with it. Even now I find that it takes some hours to get back to grips with a sport I haven't covered for a long while; especially the faster paced ones.

Use it as a spur to do even better next time.

I recently photographed an Airshow - the best equipment I found was Canon 7D Mark 2 (10 fps) with the canon 70-200 mk2 and 2x converter making an effective focal length of 640mm - however you may be able to be closer to the aircraft in flight

To blur propellers in flight needed 1/100-1/250 shutter speed but then it can be difficult to get the plane in focus - needs good panning technique - remember to switch the horizontal image stabilisation off if you have it on the Nikon lenses

Kumar

Hmm ... I presume VR image stabilization technology in Nikkor lenses detects both vertical and horizontal movement and offsets it by initiating compensating motion. So, I may have to switch VR off totally.Running my practice sessions at the airport & local flying club already !!! Thanks Doc.

Kumar, India

Don't be disheartened if you only achieve modest results at this, your first air show. All action photography needs practice and time to learn the specifics of the event and to master the techniques needed. I used to shoot a lot of sport and covering new ones effectively took several events, or at least many hours and a lot of thought, to get in tune with it. Even now I find that it takes some hours to get back to grips with a sport I haven't covered for a long while; especially the faster paced ones.

Use it as a spur to do even better next time.

Well I'm much used to avian flight, as also that of bats & small birds. Have frozen avian & bat flight with flash-triggers ... have shot passenger plane flights ... but never air-shows as such. Preparing myself as well as I possibly can. Let us see ! There is always a next chance ... and a more experienced photographer ;) ;) . Cheers.

Kumar, India

I would love a report on the RX10_iii.

Have you used it for stills yet?

wim

Of corz wiskerke ... RX10_iii is my most preferred camera for stills (60% of the time) and videos (100%). I just love is. But, a new photo-situation may well be beyond subjective love, and passion ! Cheers

Kumar, India

Archived