I was attracted by the design created by these bits of plastic attached to a sloping roof, but I have no idea what they are. Do they have a purpose -- e.g. deflecting rainwater runoff? Or are they purely decorative? Do they have a name? Thanks in advance.

small-plastic-deflectors-on-a-wooden-roo

Yes, I have seen those around here, but not super common.  They are definitely put there to prevent snow slides.  Once you have a big snowfall, as the snow melts the layer that touches the roof can turn to ice and then slide like a fast moving glacier which can tear the gutters off. That can be an expensive repair!  

Yes, I have seen those around here, but not super common.  They are definitely put there to prevent snow slides.  Once you have a big snowfall, as the snow melts the layer that touches the roof can turn to ice and then slide like a fast moving glacier which can tear the gutters off. That can be an expensive repair!  

I took this picture near Vancouver, where we tend to shovel rain rather than snow (except in the mountains). I don't remember seeing gizmos like these when I was a kid growing up in Montreal. However, the snow was so thick in Quebec, they probably wouldn't have done much good. They make sense, though. I can remember being almost buried by snow sliding off roofs.

Archived