Request to mark 2 images for exclusive use

I've just had an email request to mark 2 images for exclusive use for a book cover.

What difference does it make to the price?

Presumably it is higher, but is it a little or a lot!?

John.

Hi John, That is good news. I do not know what the rate should or will be but if I was negotiating an exclusive use with a customer it would be in the high £thousands bearing in mind you will not be able to gain other sales from that image in the life of the customers product.

But if it is through Alamy then> :mellow:

Allan

... you will not be able to gain other sales from that image in the life of the customers product.

That's only true for a total buy-out.......usually 'exclusive use' is only negotiated on a territory/sector basis.....so, in this case, it would only apply to book covers in  the country/countries of publication...the image would still be available to licence to other sectors (magazines/newspapers/websites etc....)

in my experience....

km

... you will not be able to gain other sales from that image in the life of the customers product.

That's only true for a total buy-out.......usually 'exclusive use' is only negotiated on a territory/sector basis.....so, in this case, it would only apply to book covers in  the country/countries of publication...the image would still be available to licence to other sectors (magazines/newspapers/websites etc....)

in my experience....

km

That's my experience too, but with the new simplified restrictions Alamy are bringing in next month, Alamy will only be able to restrict ALL editorial sales for the WHOLE world if the sale is agreed. Something to think about when agreeing to the sale

Depends on the license. Some time back I was contacted by an Alamy sales person about exclusive use for a trade publication. She asked me to remove the image, and all similars from Alamy and any other sites, for 10 years - which is essentially a buy-out.

Since she wouldn't tell me the amount of the license I declined. It's important to consider the potential earnings that might come from the image over time to decide if it's worth it.

Depends on the license. Some time back I was contacted by an Alamy sales person about exclusive use for a trade publication. She asked me to remove the image, and all similars from Alamy and any other sites, for 10 years - which is essentially a buy-out.

Since she wouldn't tell me the amount of the license I declined. It's important to consider the potential earnings that might come from the image over time to decide if it's worth it.

That is quite weird. How would MS expect you to decide on that without knowing the bidding price?

In a similar situation MS was totally transparent with me except for who the client was. But when I had found out the possible client by 5 min of Googling, they did not deny it.

However this was quite a few years back.

Which leads me to the question: how much would you expect to make nowadays from an image including similars?

Like real money, not hoping to win the lottery money.

I have only 8 single images with totals above $ 1000.

Of which 1 is over 3000 and 1 over 8000.

It's a bit more when I count similars in. Then I have 2 over 3000. And a couple more over 1000.

wim

Which leads me to the question: how much would you expect to make nowadays from an image including similars?

Like real money, not hoping to win the lottery money.

I have only 8 single images with totals above $ 1000.

Of which 1 is over 3000 and 1 over 8000.

It's a bit more when I count similars in. Then I have 2 over 3000. And a couple more over 1000.

wim

I've never calculated this kind of use but I think the old rule of thumb was 3x the normal license fee. Of course digital distribution has changed that. You might price it at whatever you expect the image to earn over that period of time, or somewhere between the two. Similars would probably be priced at a percentage of that fee. Of course all of this would be subject to negotiation and how close you define a similar. I have one particular image  that's earned over $1200 on Alamy plus several direct licenses . If I were to calculate that over 10 years or more, plus "similars" from the same shoot, it would work out to a hefty amount.

They were interested in exclusivity for 2 images of mine, but on 'your images' for yesterday I had 3 zooms and there were 10 in total, so i'm not holding my breath that they will choose my images.

In the email it also said, "Just so you know, if you would approve the sale, any similar/sister images also need be restricted from sale for book covers too, including images: xxxxxx" of which there were another 2.

I presume the price of the chosen image(s) would reflect this too.

John.

They were interested in exclusivity for 2 images of mine, but on 'your images' for yesterday I had 3 zooms and there were 10 in total, so i'm not holding my breath that they will choose my images.

In the email it also said, "Just so you know, if you would approve the sale, any similar/sister images also need be restricted from sale for book covers too, including images: xxxxxx" of which there were another 2.

I presume the price of the chosen image(s) would reflect this too.

John.

I had a similar request* for a book cover use last month, but presumaby it came to naught. :

*Not quite the same. They were presumably at an earlier stage in the discussion, as they asked if the image or any like it, had been licensed anywhere before. The answer was No, but they presumably went with a different image, as I heard no more.

I agree totally with fotoDogue: they have to tell you the amount before expecting you to make that sort of decision.

How many book cover sales do you normally get? I get very few through Alamy and I'd be happy to give exclusivity for a particular use - the chances of losing other book cover sales from the same image are pretty small. If I was a book publisher I wouldn't want another book to appear with the same cover.

If I was a book publisher I wouldn't want another book to appear with the same cover.

It happens more often than people expect...

http://www.indiebooklauncher.com/resources-diy/gallery-of-clones.php

km

and I remember years ago the Observer and Sunday Times colour supplements came out with the same picture on the cover on the same day!

Archived