Are there any Nikon users actually using the Capture NX-D image manipulation software?

Wondering how it compares to LR 6.6.  Better or Worse?

I realise this depends on what the user is actually used to but would like to know if they have compared it with other manipulation software before settling on NX-D.

What are your opinions please?

Allan

Thanks for mentioning Capture NX-D, Allan. I haven't been paying much attention to what Nikon has been doing since switching to Sony mirrorless systems. But I still use Capture NX2 occasionally on a tiff in the middle of my workflow: LR 5.7 > NX2 > CS5. I'll read up on NX-D and watch a video . . . then maybe download the program. I see that it's a FREE download. 

Edo

I am a Nikon shooter and software user.  When CNX2 died and I got a new computer, I switched to NX-D for RAW conversion.  I then import the tweaked 16 bit TIFF to photoshop.  I think it's a beautiful converter, respects my Nikon picture controls and gives great color.  Some recent versions have been slow, but the latest release is fast enough.  I use both View NXi for transfer and sorting and NX-D (they are bundled together).  To keep the lovely U-points of CNX2, I got the Nik plug-ins for Photoshop CC 2015 (also now free).  I only use the Viveza 2 plug in for U-points.

I use ViewNX 2 for captioning, keywording and conversion to TIFF for editing in Photoshop but I've never used Capture (apart from opening Raw files, which I now do with View)

I've just looked at the NX-D download page and I note it says 'internet connection required'. So you have to be connected to do the editing?

I am a Nikon shooter and software user.  When CNX2 died and I got a new computer, I switched to NX-D for RAW conversion.  I then import the tweaked 16 bit TIFF to photoshop.  I think it's a beautiful converter, respects my Nikon picture controls and gives great color.  Some recent versions have been slow, but the latest release is fast enough.  I use both View NXi for transfer and sorting and NX-D (they are bundled together).  To keep the lovely U-points of CNX2, I got the Nik plug-ins for Photoshop CC 2015 (also now free).  I only use the Viveza 2 plug in for U-points.

"The King is dead; long live the King." My NX2 is not dead. It works fine, if abandoned by Nikon. The important question: Does NX-D have U-points? I downloaded the Nik PS plug-ins too, but I don't see U-points on it.  

Interesting comments gents and thanks for replying.

I may download it and see how it looks to me in my workflow.

Allan

I've downloaded it and had a look. The image editing stuff seems useful but I can't see any way of adding keywords and captions - have I missed something?

I'm afraid the days of one-stop software for all your picture needs are gone.  Nik is a plug-in for PS or lightroom, so you would do your keywording there.  NX-D is a RAW converter - it won't make your toast.

My workflow involves four programs:

View NXi

Capture NX-D

Viveza 2 Nik plug-in in PS CC

and finally PS CC 2015 itself.

It sounds onerous, but it works quite well.  No worse than having it all in one program.

Having downloaded the latest Capture NX-D today to see what it does after reading this thread, I have to (respectfully) disagree in a number of ways. I say respectfully because I am trying to be totally objective here and don't want to be misinterpreted as can and does happen here.

Capture NX-D  is a very basic raw converter without many of the advanced features of ACR or LR. It is incredibly slow, particularly in graphically updating any changes made in comparison to the LR develop module (the raw converter part of LR). The latest version of LR has really speeded up in the Develop module and the graphics are now far better than in previous versions. I’m using some decent hardware which has no trouble with 36MP files so the slowness is in Capture NX-D (I’ve tried it on two fast Macs).

A second major difference is that it doesn’t have any of the excellent local adjustment tools in the raw converter of LR/ACR which provide sufficient editing capabilities that many photographers no longer use Photoshop. In fact together with its database facilities including the ability to search and handle metadata, Lightroom is a one-stop-shop for many photographers now (not for me - Photoshop will probably always form a part of my workflow). Obviously it lacks LR's Print Module which is an advanced piece of software that a lot of people never use

There are other significant differences between the raw converters such as the the ability to create and use DNG profiles, the advanced Transform tools in LR, the latest version having introduced the Guided Transform.

So each to his own I guess. I’m not trying to convince you to change workflow but I certainly wouldn’t advocate Capture NX-D to anybody else.

Archived