Yet another stolen image

So I've just been browsing and have found one of my images being used on a calendar without payment - AARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'll send an email to Member Services, but should I speak to the company involved or let Alamy do the work?  If I do the work, what's the going rate for a pic in a calendar?

Thanks guys.

Calendars can take up to a year to be reported.

- Still a good idea to report to MS.

Could you point us to the calendar(s) to see if they are using any more images of ours?

Or do some reporting in the images found thread?

wim

- Still a good idea to report to MS.

Could you point us to the calendar(s) to see if they are using any more images of ours?

Or do some reporting in the images found thread?

wim

Yep - my image is the bridge.

http://www.tarapromotionalproducts.ie/diaries-calendars/reflections-2017-calendar-3/

wim

- and this is indeed silly and hopeless. A long wait for a December image  :)

It depends how you look at it. These are 2017's calendars. And the usual deal in calendar-land is that there's no usage unless it's printed. So if there are no takers for this calendar, it never existed. So no invoices/reports.

This year's report was on March 31 for me. Only one image this year. I did spot some more elsewhere, but am unable to prove they ever got 1 printed.

wim

Update on this: I received an email from Member Services saying the image was legitimately downloaded and it will be March before it shows up as a sale.  I'm relieved the pic wasn't stolen, but waiting 'til March is, IMO, madness.  Anyway, that's for another day.  Thanks for everyone's input. :)

wim

It depends how you look at it. These are 2017's calendars. And the usual deal in calendar-land is that there's no usage unless it's printed. So if there are no takers for this calendar, it never existed. So no invoices/reports.

This year's report was on March 31 for me. Only one image this year. I did spot some more elsewhere, but am unable to prove they ever got 1 printed.

wim

I find that weird, they are still using the image to advertise the calendar, clearly a use I would expect to be billable? 

wim

wim

I find that weird, they are still using the image to advertise the calendar, clearly a use I would expect to be billable? 

Good point.

Do all the agencies allow this? A calendar company downloads the pics it wants prepares them for publication,touts the prospective calendar round to prospective clients and then only pays anything at all IF it is published. Nice if you can get it! Lets have a list of other businesses that work this way offering 12 months free credit- i cannot think of any.

Regen

Do all the agencies allow this? A calendar company downloads the pics it wants prepares them for publication,touts the prospective calendar round to prospective clients and then only pays anything at all IF it is published. Nice if you can get it! Lets have a list of other businesses that work this way offering 12 months free credit- i cannot think of any.

Regen

Only if it is notified that it has been published.

wim

wim

Good point.

It's easy to exclude calendars, if you don't like how the industry works.

Actually many more clients are allowed to bill over a longer period of time, like monthly quarterly or annually. And believe it or not, those are usually the more respected, well paying ones.

wim

wim

wim

Good point.

It's easy to exclude calendars, if you don't like how the industry works.

Actually many more clients are allowed to bill over a longer period of time, like monthly quarterly or annually. And believe it or not, those are usually the more respected, well paying ones.

wim

also a very good point - I am not going to exclude them 

wim

wim

Buy one copy of the calender as a Christmas present for someone you love. One has been printed, you can prove it, and you have a lovely calender for someone you love.

It does remind me of a deal we had with a wine merchant when I was working for a hotel. As I remember the wine remained their property until the point it was actually used.

Aaah.. clever!

Yes the wine deal is called retention of title (eigendomsvoorbehoud in Dutch business) or reservation of ownership.

Make sure you include that in your contract when you are ever to exhibit your work in a gallery or elsewhere.

In case the gallery goes bankrupt while your work is on the wall, you'll get your stuff back without going to court or worse.

Another very real danger of image theft. I once narrowly escaped, but friends have not.

wim

Archived