Not a new question, but I have a fully-released image of me preparing to scoff a lovely juicy burger- OH took it and assigned the rights to me, I've model released myself and we paid for the burger so it's property released too. Not a bad picture either. Head and shoulders, burger in both hands.

Any opinions on the licence type?

I'd go for RM too. I'd be peeved if it sold for a modest sum and I then found myself appearing on posters, websites, magazine adverts and goodness knows where else  for the next five years and knowing i was not getting any more money for it.

If it helps any, doing a search on Alamy for "Man Eating Burger" returns 1254 results (less than I expected) and a number of those are pictures that aren't really relevant as they happen to have a man in the image, and a burger and someone eating..... but not necessarily the man eating the burger. Of those, 873 are RF and 381 are RM. Of the 873 RF images, only 792 are model released (so I guess that leaves 81 chancers).

I guess were I you,  I would be tempted to see how good your image is compared to the 792 RF images that are model released and make a decision from there...  

If it helps any, doing a search on Alamy for "Man Eating Burger" returns 1254 results (less than I expected) and a number of those are pictures that aren't really relevant as they happen to have a man in the image, and a burger and someone eating..... but not necessarily the man eating the burger. Of those, 873 are RF and 381 are RM. Of the 873 RF images, only 792 are model released (so I guess that leaves 81 chancers).

I guess were I you,  I would be tempted to see how good your image is compared to the 792 RF images that are model released and make a decision from there...  

It's pretty good in comparison with the rest. There has been discussion of fee levels RM v. RF in the past but i can't remember any conclusions.

However I'm not sure why the image is now showing in MI as RM with the box greyed out and unalterable. I may already have made the choice, although I don't know why  can't change it on a released image.

Not a new question, but I have a fully-released image of me preparing to scoff a lovely juicy burger- OH took it and assigned the rights to me, I've model released myself and we paid for the burger so it's property released too. Not a bad picture either. Head and shoulders, burger in both hands.

Just a side note: I don't see what influence the fact that you paid for the burger has on a property release. Buying an object doesn't assign you a property release of it. For a burger the question might be largely hypothetical, but think about, e.g., a car, or notebook. Owning it doesn't automatically get you a property release for the logo or distinctive design features.

Christoph

Just a side note: I don't see what influence the fact that you paid for the burger has on a property release. Buying an object doesn't assign you a property release of it. For a burger the question might be largely hypothetical, but think about, e.g., a car, or notebook. Owning it doesn't automatically get you a property release for the logo or distinctive design features.

Christoph

I'm well aware of that. That's why most of my images have "property, yes, release, no" ticked even if it's a natural landscape because it has a distant house in it. A burger doesn't have any "distinctive design features". I think buying one does release it.

My question was about licence type and I was looking for ideas on that.

RF for sure unless it has added value that would make it RM worthy. Doesn't really matter so much here but in the wider market there's been a big shift from RM to RF.

http://www.selling-stock.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=f2627b76-7455-49d1-9603-50d48523e1cb

Most lifestyle is shot as RF so unless you've done something to elevate it above the norm, RF is the way to go.

I'd go for RM too. I'd be peeved if it sold for a modest sum and I then found myself appearing on posters, websites, magazine adverts and goodness knows where else  for the next five years and knowing i was not getting any more money for it.

What about the RM licences that are for 20 or 25 years, couldn't you still see continued usage without getting any more $$$?

RF for sure unless it has added value that would make it RM worthy. Doesn't really matter so much here but in the wider market there's been a big shift from RM to RF.

http://www.selling-stock.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=f2627b76-7455-49d1-9603-50d48523e1cb

Most lifestyle is shot as RF so unless you've done something to elevate it above the norm, RF is the way to go.

Any chance of a precis?That's a subscription site.

What about the RM licences that are for 20 or 25 years, couldn't you still see continued usage without getting any more $$$?

I've never sold a licence for that length of time, but since you mention them I presume they must occur sometimes. But even 25 years is more restrictive than 'forever' and certainly more restrictive than 'use in any publication you wish and as many times as you want to' which is where RF goes to.

Any chance of a precis?That's a subscription site.

RM bad, RF good....

Ok not quite but RM has fallen out of favour with most clients. It's about ease of use especially in multiple channels rather than needed something cheap and ever lasting. Ancillary costs have become a bigger issue in licensing stock these days. Sarah's comment tells you how one agency are looking at the issue.

Archived