• A2JH1P Michael Ventura's Marshmallows
    • BY5FW1 Malcolm Park's Belt of Orion and Horsehead Nebula
    • Sheila Smart's Sydney Opera House
    • A24P65 Charles Stirling's Funfair Ride
    • D9GRFJ Charly's Bridge on Foggy Night
    • CYB97P Ray's Funfair
    • C8YYK3 Julie Edwards' Burning Crosses parade

Hi All

Here we go everyone, time to cast your vote on the June challenge. There was some interesting discussion on the definition of a night time picture, and Jeff's Van Gogh picture would definitely have counted. It's one of the things that is fascinating about this monthly challenge, the different interpretations on the theme that come up. I wouldn't have thought of that myself, I was too stuck in thinking about pictures taken at night rather than pictures taken of the night if you see what I mean.  There were loads of excellent entries and getting down to eight was hard.

As usual, the voting is open until the end of the day 7th July - that will be the end of my day here in Quebec which is five hours earlier than GMT. The definition of 'end of my day' is variable, it depends on how knackered I am after looking after a 14 month old baby boy all day.

After much indecision my final eight are 

Industrie25g.jpg

BENWCM Arterra's Lightning and Industrial Scene

A2JH1P.jpg

Michael Ventura's Marshmallows

BY5FW1.jpg

Malcolm Park's Belt of Orion and Horsehead Nebula

150400384.V2VqsIkF.SydneyOperaHouseVivid

Sheila Smart's Sydney Opera House

A24P65.jpg

Charles Stirling's Funfair Ride

D9GRFJ.jpg

Charly's Bridge on Foggy Night

CYB97P.jpg

Ray's Funfair

C8YYK3.jpg

Julie Edwards' Burning Crosses Parade

Well done to all the finalists, thanks for all the entries.

Col

It certainly is very calm and ordered here now. I'll have to start a 'should I buy Windows or a Mac to process my pictures for iStock and shutterstock' thread to get the fur flying again. Some of the discussions on the old forum were certainly better than what was on TV. 

Col

Oh my, so many of the final 8 are so good, I can't even vote right away.....

- Ann

[EDITED TO ADD: okay, I voted, & am very happy with choice]

It certainly is very calm and ordered here now. I'll have to start a 'should I buy Windows or a Mac to process my pictures for iStock and shutterstock' thread to get the fur flying again. Some of the discussions on the old forum were certainly better than what was on TV. 

Col

I wonder who they argue with now.

In the event of a tie, should we have a provision of a one day run off vote of just the two (or more) tying winners?

I'm not sure of the rules. Are those chosen not supposed to vote or just not vote for themselves?

THE RULES:

The challenger can't select one of his own pictures as "nominee".

Nominees can vote for their own pictures (as I did, but that's just between you and me)

All nominees have to be different photographers.

The nominee with the most votes has to start the next challenge with a subject of his choice and has to select (at the end of that month) his 8 nominees.

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi All

Its looking pretty close between our two leading pictures. To clarify, if they both have an equal number of votes at the end of Sunday the 7th (that's end of the day here in Quebec which will be about 3am for those in Europe who want to stay up to watch the unfolding drama) then I will post a poll between the two which will stay open for one day to decide the winner. 

Cheers

Col

We have a winner!

It was pretty close there for a while, I thought that we would have to go for the second vote tomorrow. But finally Julie forged ahead in the final straight and won by 19 to 16 votes. Well done Julie, an excellent shot and a worthy winner. Too bad Philippe, you were nudged out at the end. Thanks to all who entered and spare a thought for Charles Stirling whose picture of a fairground ride got no votes. It happens, I was in the last eight a while back and was spared a 'no votes'  by one vote in the last day. And if Malcolm Park reads this, maybe he could write us a note on his astro kit and how he guides with such precision. Over to Julie now for the next monthly competition.

Bottoms up

Col

Congratulations, Julie!

And Colin, thanks for sharing reflections about entries that happen to get no votes.

Surely anyone who's ever entered (or not entered, perhaps to avoid possibility of that happening) a contest can relate to it -- and it's so easy to happen to anyone's fine photo in competition this size.

- Ann

Archived