Protective UV filters and CA

Very interesting question. never thought about this so far and am very curious to the answer. 

Also an interesting topic to test, the next time I am out taking photos. 

It seems to me that the raw conversion software which corrects CA based on the amount it detects in the image would not be thrown off by any additional bit added by a filter.

If a good brand of filter such as Heliopan or B+W is used, the already negligible (or perhaps nonexistent) risk of added CA would be even less.

If it's not there for a reason, like polarization or color correction, then why put another piece of (possibly very cheap) glass in front of your expensive lens?

Depends on the environment you are in.

Say desert (or beach) plus lots of wind can easily ruin your lens outer glass. 

It is much cheaper if it is the UV filter which is ruined. 

Also when carrying two bodies and you bump one glass into something. 

Its for pure protection.

Also it is philosophical, generally I agree, why put something on it if its not there in the first place.

So not all my lenses have UV filters - only the ones that I need ruggedized for one reason or another. 

Thanks for the responses. It sounds as if no one has found CA in their images that can be traced to a UV filter. I use pretty good ones, B+W and Hoya HMC.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm sometimes seeing what looks like very fine lateral CA (I think) in the centre area -- not the edges -- of images when I use a particular zoom lens. It's almost impossible to correct using CA sliders, so it might just be due to reflection. I put on a new Hoya UV filter on this lens not long ago and wondered if it might be the culprit. Shall have to do some tests with and w/o the UV filter.

By color flare, I think SC means purple fringing, which isn't CA. I commonly see it in tree branches against a bright sky with lenses that otherwise have low CA. Lowering exposure a bit helps.

Archived