There's life in the old negs yet!

ManWay

Indeed they are.

My best selling picture on Alamy still sells almost every year and was one of my early scans from a transparancy. It was taken 30 years ago. I could probably get a better scan if I redid it but "if it aint't broke, don't fix it" :)

As it sells most years it shows the trend in prices all too clearly :(

Given the nature and the exclusivity of the shots, I hope you got more for them than the £4.75 I netted last time the Beeb used one of my pics.

Alan

Well, yes indeed. Between you, me and the gatepost the BBC pay £270 for that package - pix and words.

Nice to see your post.  My record is for an image shot in 1980.  It

looks like I need to go back and fix a lot of my captions on older images,

which is better than rescanning.

Thanks Chuck, I scanned these negs on a pretty ancient Pacific Image scanner. Forgot how long it takes to 'clean up' old negs.  They look ok on the web but probably not so good if they were printed up. 

Just goes to show that your old images may still be saleable. I licensed these to the BBC today - 25 years after the pictures were shot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-35967389

Crikey - not a place I would have chosen to be, especially after Halabja in 1988... I presume there's a story behind you being there?

Just goes to show that your old images may still be saleable. I licensed these to the BBC today - 25 years after the pictures were shot.

Crikey - not a place I would have chosen to be, especially after Halabja in 1988... I presume there's a story behind you being there?

It was a self-financed operation though I did get film/processing from The Independent and in the end The Independent got me a flight home on BA as the ticket I had was for Turkish Airlines who decided to go on strike when I needed to get home.

I did send four images back on the wire machine from Reuters in Istanbul - this took an incredible (looking at todays technology) 20 mins per B/W image - and obviously one had to process the film and make a print first. It was worth it though as I had several page one images in the UK and International press.

Also, in those days the fee paid for an image was much higher than todays rates. I think I got about £100 for a published image in The Guardian then and my rent for a flat in London was £45 per week. So for one publication in UK National press meant that one could live for a week.

As I was young, idealistic and pretty naive in those days I didn't really think of the potential dangers all that much - there's no way I would do such a trip today - not for any money.

It was a self-financed operation though I did get film/processing from The Independent and in the end The Independent got me a flight home on BA as the ticket I had was for Turkish Airlines who decided to go on strike when I needed to get home.

I did send four images back on the wire machine from Reuters in Istanbul - this took an incredible (looking at todays technology) 20 mins per B/W image - and obviously one had to process the film and make a print first. It was worth it though as I had several page one images in the UK and International press.

Also, in those days the fee paid for an image was much higher than todays rates. I think I got about £100 for a published image in The Guardian then and my rent for a flat in London was £45 per week. So for one publication in UK National press meant that one could live for a week.

As I was young, idealistic and pretty naive in those days I didn't really think of the potential dangers all that much - there's no way I would do such a trip today - not for any money.

Brilliant story. In today's money what would that be? On a rental basis... say £2,000 per image? Perhaps I'm over egging it a bit. Must have been a really amazing trip. Tough way to make a living, even if powered by idealism!

Brilliant story. In today's money what would that be? On a rental basis... say £2,000 per image? Perhaps I'm over egging it a bit. Must have been a really amazing trip. Tough way to make a living, even if powered by idealism!

As rents in London go probably worth about £500 per image. But the inflation calculator says £100 in 1991 is worth £202 in todays money. I think that is rather on the low side.

Archived