This is what drives me crazy about the U.S. news media

TABan

This is on the news feed and it's from one of my hometown papers. The caption reads that a Trump supporter argues with protesters. Argues? ARGUES? It's pretty bleeding clear what she's doing, so why not just say it?

yorkville-ill-11th-mar-2016-donald-trump

Trying to stay out of the politics, looking at the caption:

Yorkville, Ill. 11th Mar, 2016. Donald Trump supporter Birgitt Peterson of Yorkville, Ill., argues with protesters outside the UIC Pavilion after the cancelled rally for the Republican presidential candidate in Chicago on Friday, March 11, 2016. © E. Jason Wambsgans/Chicago Tribune/TNS/Alamy Live News

Maybe the photographer should have said what the protester was doing? It could just be coincidence otherwise... let the readers draw their own conclusions?  I presume that when it falls into the general population (out of Live News) it will get the appropriate key words.

Can someone explain how the move from Live News works please?

Here's further info, so here in the States they're being explicit about it: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-birgitt-peterson-trump-rally-met-0313-20160312-story.html

Not sure I believe her explanation. As someone with some Jewish heritage, it's really disconcerting seeing this in my country.

Can someone explain how the move from Live News works please?

See the Chicago Tribune's photo series on this, and the photo credits at Alamy Live News. Probably more a move to Alamy Live News.. If that was what you meant?

The caption certainly doesn't accurately describe what the woman is doing. Even if her explanation is legitimate, her actions are totally insensitive.

Just goes to show how bonkers (and dangerous) things have become in the US election campaign, 

To be fair there are some other photographs showing protesters with their arms outstretched. The photographer who said he didn't see them wasn't looking very hard.

I  think describing it as a "Nazi salute" would fall foul of this guideline for Live News captions:

Don’t use opinionated language.

A PJ's job has never been simple or easy, and is harder now to get right in the must-publish-fast and first digital-news era. 

In one sense that image doesn't need a caption. I might be more inclined to believe her explanation if she was not wearing a Trump tee-shirt. We would all have to be blind and deaf not to notice that Trump has a Neo-Nazi following. 

And as far as the caption goes, there's no need to figure out what this woman was thinking or her motivation. The caption should point out that she is making a classic Nazi Heil-Hitler salute.

A PJ's job has never been simple or easy, and is harder now to get right in the must-publish-fast and first digital-news era. 

In one sense that image doesn't need a cation. I might be more inclined to believe her explanation if she was not wearing a Trump tee-shirt. We would all have to be blind and deaf not to notice that Trump has a Neo-Nazi following. 

And as far as the caption goes, there's no need to figure out what this woman was thinking or her motivation. The cation should point out that she is making a classic Nazi Heil-Hitler salute.

Yes, there's nothing "opinionated" about describing what the woman is actually doing -- i.e. giving a Nazi-style salute. Mainstream media in the US has been much too soft on Trump as it is. The man and his followers extremely dangerous.

Archived