Clouds and Alamy

A question for cloud-shooters: How do you adjust exposure for Alamy when it comes to cloud shots ("cloudscapes")?

A lot of cloud images on Alamy look ruined (too much contrast) to me because contributors have set the points (black 0, white 255 or within 5%) as Alamy requests in their guidelines. My tendency is to leave the histogram alone -- leaving exposure as shot -- to preserve the true "dreamy" look of the clouds and blue sky. I'm hesitant to upload cloud images for this reason. .

A question for cloud-shooters: How do you adjust exposure for Alamy when it comes to cloud shots ("cloudscapes")?

A lot of cloud images on Alamy look ruined (too much contrast) to me because contributors have set the points (black 0, white 255 or within 5%) as Alamy requests in their guidelines. My tendency is to leave the histogram alone -- leaving exposure as shot -- to preserve the true "dreamy" look of the clouds and blue sky. I'm hesitant to upload cloud images for this reason. .

I have a few cloud shots and didn't change the white and black. I just punched up the blue sky a bit

Jill

Confess I'm not that subtle John, I typically give skies a bit of a boost on the basis that punchy shots stand out more and have more chance of selling.

If you are talking about clouds only I don't have any on offer, but would think that extreme manipulation would be counter productive, if there are no genuine blacks that shouldn't matter surely.

I always leave my shots as they come out of camera, aside some crops, that includes the clouds and the skys. 

Also know that if I'd boost some of the colors, the pictures would stand out more, but I cant be bothered as I dislike editing. 

as for black and white point I never had problems with QC. 

Confess I'm not that subtle John, I typically give skies a bit of a boost on the basis that punchy shots stand out more and have more chance of selling.

If you are talking about clouds only I don't have any on offer, but would think that extreme manipulation would be counter productive, if there are no genuine blacks that shouldn't matter surely.

Right, I left this jet trail image alone (no adjustments) and it passed. So I guess the same goes with clouds in a blue sky shots.

I had an early fail for black/white point adjustment so I always bring the sliders in to just avoid clipping in any channel. It can mess up the appearance of some shots then I don't submit. Generally im always trying to represent what I saw at the time as accurately as possible. This cloud shot took a lot of levels adjustment and is one of the few shots I have that didn't want an s curve for contrast, just a boost to the midtones:

close-up-of-orange-dawn-clouds-in-autumn

I normally take an incident light reading from the sky and shoot in manual mood. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I still use a light meter on occasions! Seems to work for me plus add a bit of saturation in post processing.

Jim. :)

Agree, I also almost always shoot manual, unless I do street photography, where I use aperture priority. 

Archived