Keyword changes and distributors

This is no doubt the dumb question of the week, but when we make changes/additions to keywords -- something I do on a regular basis -- of images already on sale, do these revisions eventually get passed along to distributors? I don't see how this would be possible given the logistics involved.

My guess would be the changes go live with the distributors as soon as the Alamy database gets updated overnight. There must be a process to ensure distributors get new photos asap and I would think keywords etc would be done at the same time.

However this is just a guess on my part.

My guess would be the changes go live with the distributors as soon as the Alamy database gets updated overnight. There must be a process to ensure distributors get new photos asap and I would think keywords etc would be done at the same time.

Keyword changes for old images (i.e. ones that have been on sale for weeks, months, years) as well?

Keyword changes for old images (i.e. ones that have been on sale for weeks, months, years) as well?

Don't know the systems in place, but I don't see why not: your keyword changes are just updating a database and the age of the image is irrelevant.  Whoever (or whatever program/app) has access to that database will see the changes updated automatically.

I would think it be immediate if the distributor uses an API to access Alamy's database. If they are getting the images to host on their own servers then there might be no updates at all or perhaps Alamy pushes changes out at some interval.

Do a test, John.

Find an image that appears in a search at or from a distributor (the test could even be done from the distributor's search engine and also on the ones that Google find) - add an extraordinary keyword to your Alamy image and see if the keyword eventually will make the distributor image turn up there. :)

Do a test, John.

Find an image that appears in a search at or from a distributor (the test could even be done from the distributor's search engine and also on the ones that Google find) - add an extraordinary keyword to your Alamy image and see if the keyword eventually will make the distributor image turn up there. :)

Great idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Do a test, John.

It worked! I put a nonsensical keyword in one of my Alamy images and it has shown up on a Canadian distributor's website in under 24 hours. Haven't checked any other distributors yet.

Do a test, John.

It worked! I put a nonsensical keyword in one of my Alamy images and it has shown up on a Canadian distributor's website in under 24 hours. Haven't checked any other distributors yet.

Distributors, and perhaps even Alamy thmselves, may well display the content from a shared server, or perhaps more likely mirrored servers (to increase separation for security reasons).

Do a test, John.

Great !!! :)

I would have thought that distributors link directly into Alamy, saves time, space and hardware costs. Why reinvent the wheel when today's technology can do the job for you without cost or effort.

dov

It's all a mystery to me, but it's good to know that the messages do get through somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

I send an email til MS and asked: 

Hi Arthur

For most of our key distributors we send a refreshed metadata sheet every month for the Alamy images they have, so if you've made any changes here it gets reflected there as well. 

However for some of them unfortunately only the older keywords will be available. 

Thanks

Archived