Lightroom update

Currently stuck on 56% upload.....

It claims to fix a few bugs. The only one that I have encountered so far is with the crop tool that occasionally take matters into its own hands, fortunately undoable.

Ah, now 80%

Wow! Preview loading is amazingly quicker... 10% of the time that it was yesterday on a panorama of mine (16,150 x 3,160 pixels). Wondering if the PS update fixes much?

Got fingers well and truly crossed. Please be stable! Please be stable! Please be stable!

Wow! Preview loading is amazingly quicker... 10% of the time that it was yesterday on a panorama of mine (16,150 x 3,160 pixels). Wondering if the PS update fixes much?

Got fingers well and truly crossed. Please be stable! Please be stable! Please be stable!

PS starts now with an annoying workspace which you need to get rid of in preferences. One major irritation is that it doesn't update some filters - Tony Kuyper for example will have to be reinstalled which is a PITA as Adobe dumped the extensions manager and it's now a manual folder creation/install. Adobe really don't take third party filters/apps in to account much in recent times - not very photographer friendly.

Brilliant 

PS starts now with an annoying workspace which you need to get rid of in preferences. One major irritation is that it doesn't update some filters - Tony Kuyper for example will have to be reinstalled which is a PITA as Adobe dumped the extensions manager and it's now a manual folder creation/install. Adobe really don't take third party filters/apps in to account much in recent times - not very photographer friendly.

Brilliant - you CAN turn it off in PS! Thank you.

I'm not seeing speed increases of that magnitude - more like 2 to 3 times faster preview. Even that, however, is remarkable as it has a real effect on workflow given that the preview dialog is modal and you can't do anything else in Lightroom while it is doing its thing. As for generating the panorama itself, I'm seeing 2X speed increases approx over 6.3. This is less important for me than the previews as it does the business in the background so Lightroom becomes usable again. Overall this is excellent and makes it well worth updating.

I'm not seeing speed increases of that magnitude - more like 2 to 3 times faster preview. Even that, however, is remarkable as it has a real effect on workflow given that the preview dialog is modal and you can't do anything else in Lightroom while it is doing its thing. As for generating the panorama itself, I'm seeing 2X speed increases approx over 6.3. This is less important for me than the previews as it does the business in the background so Lightroom becomes usable again. Overall this is excellent and makes it well worth updating.

I generate my panoramas in PS, haven't tried the LR version. 

I should say that my laptop does not have a huge amount or memory, so panoramas are a particular challenge!

I should say that my laptop does not have a huge amount or memory, so panoramas are a particular challenge!

I recommend trying Lightroom - it seems to use less RAM - not sure about that but it doesn't slow down when working on what I think of as big panos (say 7 36MP raws). If Photoshop runs out of RAM, it uses the scratch disk as VM and really slows down on big panos, especially if they are 16-bit (very important for monochrome in particular). In addition, there is no waiting while the raw images are converted when opening into Photoshop which further speeds thing up. And the pano generated in Lightroom is a DNG (effectively a raw image - even better). I do a lot of panos and my workflow has speeded up massively since LR6 and the quality of the results is usually better. It's not perfect - it doesn't take account of local adjustments, for example, and it uses a single exposure and WB  value for all the images (big PITA).

I recommend trying Lightroom - it seems to use less RAM - not sure about that but it doesn't slow down when working on what I think of as big panos (say 7 36MP raws). If Photoshop runs out of RAM, it uses the scratch disk as VM and really slows down on big panos, especially if they are 16-bit (very important for monochrome in particular). In addition, there is no waiting while the raw images are converted when opening into Photoshop which further speeds thing up. And the pano generated in Lightroom is a DNG (effectively a raw image - even better). I do a lot of panos and my workflow has speeded up massively since LR6 and the quality of the results is usually better. It's not perfect - it doesn't take account of local adjustments, for example, and it uses a single exposure and WB  value for all the images (big PITA).

Fabulous - thanks, will experiment accordingly!

Edit: Of course I don't care about white balance but rest is interesting.

Actually white balance can be useful in editing raw monochrome images in LR. A grad filter and Temp slider negative darkens blue skies - similar to the blue slider in BW Mix but probably not exactly the same.

Actually white balance can be useful in editing raw monochrome images in LR. A grad filter and Temp slider negative darkens blue skies - similar to the blue slider in BW Mix but probably not exactly the same.

WB is disabled with monochrome RAW (DNG in my case) files.  Nothing darkens blue skies other than an orange or red filter at the time of exposure... I don't do any conversion from colour, B&W RAW out of the camera, no Beyer filter, therefore, no WB.

But be warned: if you have an older version on OSX, as I did, the upgrade will download but won't open, with the message that you version of the OS does not support LR6.4 (or words to that effect).  In my case, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to El Capitan, having been stuck with (and happy with) Snow Leopard until now.  Upgrading to El Cap was not without its hitches (the installation hung for hours until I did a couple of forced re-boots) and there have been a few other issues that were quite easily fixed.

Bottom line: make sure your operating system is compatible with LR6.4 before downloading it or be prepared to upgrade your OS.

Chris

Archived