Sorry, another tree/bush identification

Sorry, but I don't know what this tree/bush/shrub is! The pic was taken in Kew Gardens in July, but there wasn't a label unfortunately.

I've attached large images for identification purposes.

kew-gardens-royal-botanical-gardens-lond

kew-gardens-royal-botanical-gardens-lond

Many thanks in advance.

John.

I think I've actually photographed that bush at kew, IIRC it's aesculus parviflora before the flowers have opened properly.

http://images.kew.org/aesculus-parviflora/print/655927.html

Many thanks Geoff, it does indeed look like aesculus parviflora.

Pity the flowers weren't out on my pic!

John.

It never ceases to amaze me on these forums how knowledgeable people are at being able to identify different species of plants, flowers and creatures.

If you're a professional photographer, knowing what you're photographing, or at least knowing exactly how to find out, is part of the job description.

Alan

Most specimens at Kew, Wisley and the like are labeled. I always try to find the label and photograph it as the next frame in sequence. Saves a lot of Internet searching!

My approach as well.  In private gardens it can be more difficult unless, like me, the owners keep a collection of labels.

Most specimens at Kew, Wisley and the like are labeled. I always try to find the label and photograph it as the next frame in sequence. Saves a lot of Internet searching!

Yes, that's what I usually do, but in this case there wasn't any label to be found despite 2 of us searching for one for quite a while.

My approach as well.  In private gardens it can be more difficult unless, like me, the owners keep a collection of labels.

I have searched out the owner before now to find out what a certain plant was. It was a bit difficult to find the owner at Kew!

I also echo the comment above about people on the forum being very knowledgeable and generous with their time answering queries - for which I am most grateful.

John. 

Just a general observation and not directed at the OP or any others - have always been glad to help when possible.

I guess coming from the era of film when it cost money to shoot 'mistakes', I still don't photograph plants unless I am pretty certain of their ID either via a label I can trust or access to the owners/gardeners or because I can work out their ID (really just for species or common forms). I say labels I can trust but even at RBG Kew you will find labels that have been moved and at some gardens ones which are just plain wrong - few gardens have comprehensive plans of plants going back historically and smaller stuff gets moved over time.

Archived