How long is the average time for first sale

Brian McGuire

I suggest that if you add your name you should not do it in the caption. You can put it in the keywords but it is a good idea to put quotation marks around it so you only get search results from images of people with your name. As it is, search results will bring up all images of people with your first name and people with your last name. Inaccurate search results will hurt your ranking.

Paulette

That is a difficult question to answer as there is no average time.

Some contributors who started recently on Alamy have had sales within weeks with only a few images in their portfolio.

Others have waited years and with thousands of images to their name before a sale appears.

Arterra give excellent advice above.

Allan

Thanks for the input. Thanks philippe I was trying to get my images up quickly so I batch coded a lot of them I intend to go back and check them all this month. I didn't realize some of them were way off, thanks for pointing that out and for taking the time to help me

One of my friends was waiting almost 2 years, another few people 3 years with no success and finally they gave up on uploading. I got my first sale in 4 month. Lately my friend and new contributor here had a sale after a week! Only 70 in collection. The same with sales after the start. I have a friend who uploaded over 10k images and he's waiting months for any sale (the same images as on micros). Another friend sells regularny with 3k files only. There's no rule...

I've been uploading images since April and have yet to make a sale. Personally this doesn't worry me too much as for me this is a hobby and Alamy gives me a reason to go out and use my camera, try new things.. a challenge to see if I can get a sale. I'm fully aware that my images are mediocre at best and my CTR is abysmal. And the professionals will still be the ones to get the big sales.

So i guess what I'm saying is depending on your motives for doing Alamy, don't let it worry you too much and enjoy the pictures!

My first sale was reported after 5 months as a contributor.  I had less than 600 images at that time and the actual use was probably a couple of months earlier.  That was in June 2014.  Second sale didn't come till September 2014 but since then I've only had one month without a sale and the numbers have been building nicely to 10 last month.  

There is always a lag between buyers searching for images, selecting yours (with or without a zoom), planning their layout, using the image and then reporting it to Alamy - and that can stretch to months.

Archived