RAW high ISO shadow noise

On good forum advice I'm now submitting from RAWs on occasion.

However I'm getting a sort of speckling in shadows at high ISO. it looks like the effect you get if you ramp up the sharpening slider to 100 on an 100ISO image.

My usual procedure is: default sharpening down to zero>colour/luminance NR as required>default sharpening back on.

I'm undoubtedly getting sharper results overall but  the shadow noise seems to remain.

Dragging down the shadows slider helps a bit but it seems a bit clumsy. Any suggestions?

It would help to let us know which programme and camera you're using. 

Speckling might indicate that you're slightly underexposing. I always shoot RAW and I expose very much to the right (and pull back the highlights). 

Most images which have noticeable high ISO noise can be corrected by a touch of noise reduction. Not too much that you over-soften but if it does soften a little too much then I'd run a high pass filter over it just to bring it back. It works for me. If it still looks a bit soft then I wont use the image. I hope this is of use but I'm no expert.

If you are using ACR and this is the only area giving you trouble, you can use the "target adjustment tool" , select NR and set the slider, then pass it over the areas you want to reduce noise. It will leave the rest of the image alone. Might just be available in the CC version.

Jill

I'm using LR4 which does have a target tool, but my problem is which adjustment to use. Sony A55.

What is a high-pass filter? Softness isn't the problem really

Thanks for the underexposure tip, they probably are a bit, but I need to fix it.

Thanks for the ideas, more welcome.

Mark I would suggest ramping up the masking slider under the sharpening slider sufficient to block the sharpening effect in the shadows. This also works well on noisy skies.

Allan

The newer versions of Lightroom deal with shadow noise much better than LR4.  You may want to upgrade to make your life easier.  I have found that images I originally processed with LR4 and rejected as not being good enough, were now usable with LR5.  Lightroom 6 may be even better.  The De-haze feature looks interesting too.  http://www.thephoblographer.com/2015/06/22/watch-the-new-lightroom-dehaze-slider-save-an-image/#.VctP-q2aU-0 

Allan- thankyou , that looks promising, I may need my new glasses to make the most of it.

These are midtones rather than deep shadows.

Johnie- Alamy fees don't pay for upgrades but thanks for that as well. Looking into the options but it took me long enough to get used to the changes from 2 to 4.

It's only the odd high ISO image but I did sell one the other month, and not for $6 either, so it's worth the candle.

Ironically the seller was a jpeg I wouldn't dare submit nowadays, hence the RAW questions.

Here are examples of the difference between Lightroom 4 and 5.  I processed both photos to the limit of where noise became apparent in the shadows the darker ones with 4 and the lighter one with 5.  Looking through your collection of images I see many images that would benefit from reprocessing.

Archived