I mostly switched from Canon 5D3.  I still use the 5D3 around the house for closeups etc but nearly always use the XT1 for outdoors.  I just love the XT1, both the camera and the images it produces

Pearl

Love the light weight, portability, generally the glassware (after issues), makes you look like any old tourist/snapper.

Don't like the way it renders foliage, flowers and blossom in the mid to long distance. OK if it is really up close though.

Allan

Love the light weight, portability, generally the glassware (after issues), makes you look like any old tourist/snapper.

Don't like the way it renders foliage, flowers and blossom in the mid to long distance. OK if it is really up close though.

Allan

I find that a problem with Lightroom or PS Allan. After using CaptureOne I noticed with was sorted out. LR is pretty rubbish actually. 

I agree with both Allan and Paul above.

Lightroom doesn't do a good job on the files, whereas, it was perfectly adequate for the X Pro 1. I have been deeply disappointed with X-T1 results in LR and am now trying to get my head around C1 which, seems to render a decent picture. This isn't good for me as I use VSCO film presets in LR for other areas of work, which C1 doesn't support (as far as I know, someone please tell me different!!!!!!) I'll find a way around it in due course, but it does extend my workflow.

Fuji have done a good job with the X series, from the original X100, which I still use and love, through to the X-T1. The lenses are extremely good with the exception of the 18mm which is utterly lousy!

The only stumbling block with the X Trans sensor, and the X-T1 in particular, as far as my experience goes, is Adobe! It has been said that Fuji have been working with Adobe to produce a satisfactory RAW conversion process, if this is the case it is not obvious to me!!!

C1 seems to do a pretty good job as does the Affinity Photo Beta (possibly even better than C1)

I came from Nikon, and absolutely love my X-T1.  I haven't had a fail from Fuji images, but as I continue to develop images from my Nikon and RX100, I get the occasional fail from those.  So I have to say that I have less CA and sharper images with Fuji.

Perhaps it's differences in some of the lens, but so far I have no fails due to smeary foliage.  And yes, the floral closeups are very sharp, but I have submitted images with foliage in the background and they also pass.  I think Allan has reported a lot of his foliage problems are from the 55-200, so I believe I'd steer away from that lens.

I own the 18-55 (great but never use now) 18-135 (workhorse for outdoor stock, buildings, etc.) 10-24 (wonderful, don't use much as I'm not a typical wide shooter but will definitely take it to St. Croix next time) 56mm (beautiful portrait lens) and 50-140, which range is covered by my other lenses except for 5mm long, but I can't see myself ever getting the new 90mm since the 50-140 lens separates people from the background so well. I love this lens.

I will go for the super zoom when it comes out and have my wildlife covered. I'll also get the macro.  As far as LR goes, I find it extremely valuable for the Upright tool, if nothing else.  I just upgraded LR on CC, and I've yet to try out the new things, but I have an idea they are worthwhile.  My images are sharp with LR, but since I tried C1 and couldn't wrap my head around it, I can't address how much better foliage would be with it.  I'll stick with Adobe and hope any issues will eventually be sorted.

Betty

Switched to X-T1 here also from Canon full-frame and APS-C.   No regrets.    Love the lighter weight of the system.

Have recent images that passed QC with near and distant foliage taken with the 55-200mm and processed in LR 5.7 with no noticeable smearing I could detect.   But my eyes are getting older...

I am on the verge of, not switching from my D800 but adding the X-T1 as my general walkoabout camera. If anyone has used their X-T1 for live music photography I would love to know you're thoughts.

I am on the verge of, not switching from my D800 but adding the X-T1 as my general walkoabout camera. If anyone has used their X-T1 for live music photography I would love to know you're thoughts.

Good luck with that. Not switching from the D800, that is. I doubt I have taken 50 shots with my D800 since getting the X-T1.

Oh, I forgot. I had a job shooting jewelry when I first got the Fuji, and used the Nikon because I cropped heavily and needed the pixel count. So that 50 would be after that job ended 11 or so months ago.

I suspect you'll use the Fuji a lot more than you think you will. It brings the fun back.

Not really used my XT.1 for music shots yet as still tend to grab my X.Pro1…..which I used to take this a couple of weeks ago….with the 60mm which as everyone knows, is hopeless for focussing in low light….must have got lucky with this shot….  :rolleyes:

young-local-male-singer-marley-blanford-

It's definitely a trick one re: the Nikon D800. I wouldn't get rid of mine simply because I love the lenses - and the camera. The Fuji X100 takes fantastic quality images and I'm wondering if anyone has any comparison between the X100 and the XT-1 that's in anyway meaningful?

If I had a D800, I wouldn't sell it for a Fuji. They do compliment each other and with this new AF update coming it's looking like it's knocking the socks off the competition. Lightening AF seems to be the new marketing tool for mirrorless at the moment. 

It's definitely a trick one re: the Nikon D800. I wouldn't get rid of mine simply because I love the lenses - and the camera. The Fuji X100 takes fantastic quality images and I'm wondering if anyone has any comparison between the X100 and the XT-1 that's in anyway meaningful?

I don't know whether its meaningful or not, but I use the X100 (original) and prefer the images that it produces to the X Pro and XT. Its shortcoming, of course, is that it has a fixed 23mm lens. This is actually the focal length that I use most often, although I do use the 60mm quite regularly.

When I first bought the X100, I remember thinking, if Fuji could make this camera with interchangeable lenses I would be first in the que to buy. Unfortunately they chose to develop the X Trans sensor and put it into the X Pro.

I dont blame Fuji for wanting to develop a new type of sensor, but I really think that more research should have gone into the development of RAW conversion software before they released it onto the market. Here we are 3 years(ish)? since the launch of the X Pro and we are no further forward. X Pro files in LR are certainly passable, XT files render appallingly. Capture One is marginally better, but far from perfect.

To get back to the virtues of the humble X100, its files open perfectly in LR, C1 and any other RAW converter you care to mention and require little work to get them ready for market. File size is small in comparison but adequate for most stock work. Focus is slow and clunky, but by and large accurate, forget manual focus!

Colour rendition is excellent, detail excellent and no water colour smearing.

Why do I stick with X Pro and XT?

For most of what I do, up close, plain background, its fine

And, hope springs eternal. One day the processing issues will be sorted out

Bottom line, if Fuji could build an X100 with interchangeable lenses, I'm still first in line to buy!

<snip>

Bottom line, if Fuji could build an X100 with interchangeable lenses, I'm still first in line to buy!

Fuji makes a wide angle adapter (28mm FF equivalent) and a tele adapter (50mm FF equivalent) that can be attached to the fixed lens of the X100, X100S and X100T. Maximum aperture stays the same at f/2 and apparently, there is no loss of IQ when using the adapters.

<snip>

Fuji makes a wide angle adapter (28mm FF equivalent) and a tele adapter (50mm FF equivalent) that can be attached to the fixed lens of the X100, X100S and X100T. Maximum aperture stays the same at f/2 and apparently, there is no loss of IQ when using the adapters.

I have the wide angle converter and it is very good. There is a very slight loss of IQ, but images still get through QC with no problem. Only downside is fitting it if you use the Fuji filter/lens hood adapter. Lot of fiddling about taking one off to fit the other. Actually a small price to pay for the quality probably :0)

<snip>

I have the wide angle converter and it is very good. There is a very slight loss of IQ, but images still get through QC with no problem. Only downside is fitting it if you use the Fuji filter/lens hood adapter. Lot of fiddling about taking one off to fit the other. Actually a small price to pay for the quality probably :0)

I don't have either adapter (although I'm tempted, regularly and frequently). Don't you also have to dive into the menus to toggle the adapter option on and off?

The D800 is definately going nowhere have al full arsenal of lenses and love them all but the more good thinngs I keep hearing about The Fuji the more and more I want one. It's going to be between the D750 or the Fuji as I am at that stage now where I need a 2nd body for my gig photography and the Fuji offers a whole lot more in the way versatility, i.e when not shooting gigs I dont have to lug all the weight of the Nikon gear around

I think I'm going to go for the X100 T based on what I've read here so far. My wife has an X100 original and the colour rendition on that thing is phenomenal. I can't prise it out of her hands and I want a small camera for carrying around for myself. I have a Sony, but the image quality isn't as good as the Fuji X100, even though it's a lot of fun to use.

<snip>

With the X100 being so cheap now why not get another one and have the adaptor permanently fixed to it?

Allan

<snip>

I don't have either adapter (although I'm tempted, regularly and frequently). Don't you also have to dive into the menus to toggle the adapter option on and off?

Russell I use the adaptors and do not dive into the menu to change the camera over.

As I do not use the video function I reprogrammed/reassigned the video button to flick through the changes. Quick and easy. :)

Also with the new upgrade to the X100T firmware I am not peering at the little icon in the corner. When I press the video button now an easily read banner appears in the middle of the screen to let you know which you are changing to.

Allan

<snip>

With the X100 being so cheap now why not get another one and have the adaptor permanently fixed to it?

Allan

Probably just because of 16MP. :)

I find that a problem with Lightroom or PS Allan. After using CaptureOne I noticed with was sorted out. LR is pretty rubbish actually. 

Yeah, very seldom have any problems with foliage with C1. The NR and Sharpness controls are far better and that is the main cause of the problem.

It's been 2 years since I migrated to Fuji, leaving Sony (nex7) and Canon (5dmkii) behind. I had a selection of L glass for the Canon but in all honesty, Fuji lenses are equal to and often better. Especially the 50-140, 10-24, 23mm, 56mm and.... well, its a long list. Apart from the 18mm... and I didn't get on wth the 18-135.

As far as flash goes, I don't use TTL and as such, use Yongnuo 560III with their remote trigger that controls up to 6 groups of flashes. They are very cheap and have excellent build quality!

I have an X100T which I love for just carrying around for when I need absolute silent shooting or high flash sync (up to 1/1000).

The only dammed thing they aren't so good at is video.... and it looks like I may have to add a Panasonic G7 that is due out soon for the 4k video.

Duncan, I've just started playing around with the trial version of C1, and you are right, the foliage issue is certainly a lot better. I'm finding it very frustrating at the moment as I have been using LR for so long, and the change is proving very difficult.

Do you set NR and sharpen controls to suit each picture individually, or do you have some presets?

Duncan, I've just started playing around with the trial version of C1, and you are right, the foliage issue is certainly a lot better. I'm finding it very frustrating at the moment as I have been using LR for so long, and the change is proving very difficult.

Do you set NR and sharpen controls to suit each picture individually, or do you have some presets?

I have some presets that a use to speed things up but when I'm back a little later, I can tell you the principles I apply when sharpening and starting points etc for NR.

If you go to Phase One's website, they also have some really good webinars on how to use various parts of the program but also one specifically for people migrating from LR. I used that one myself when I moved over to them a couple of years back.

I'll post back here later with a details about each slider I use and why etc for sharpening.

Archived