A Photographer's Place

Harvey Zucker, the owner of this once famous photography book store in SoHo. New York, passed away last week. He was a close friend. 

His memorial was well attended. He was a prominent member of America's Photographic Society (I forget their official name), and was one of a few people who could make daguerreotypes. 

Edo

• 3 years later...

Dear Ed,

Did Harvey Zucker keep material related with 'A Photographer's Place' after he died?

I'm currently researching the photobook market around the late 1990s and early 2000s, and Mr. Zucker's shop seems to have been a central institution in photobook commerce. I have some information about the shop's history, mostly gleaned online, but have not found any physical or digital catalogues or more substantial information about Harvey Zucker's archives. He did, for instance, keep a record of out-of-print books. Is any of that still available?

Best,

Jose Neves

Hola, Jose

Harvey did run a mail order business for several years after closing the shop in SoHo. He lived in an apartment above the shop, and had his own collection of rare photography books. He has a daughter and a son, who I assume inherited everything, but neither of them had any interest in dealing with photography books, so again I'll assume that all the books were sold to other dealers or collectors.

I have no firm information that would be helpful to you, and I don't have a way of getting in touch with his children. Sorry.

Also, I'm no longer living in NYC, and in fact will be moving to Seville, Spain next week. 

Edo

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Also, I'm no longer living in NYC, and in fact will be moving to Seville, Spain next week. 

Edo

By wagon train again?;)

Allan

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hola, Jose

Harvey did run a mail order business for several years after closing the shop in SoHo. He lived in an apartment above the shop, and had his own collection of rare photography books. He has a daughter and a son, who I assume inherited everything, but neither of them had any interest in dealing with photography books, so again I'll assume that all the books were sold to other dealers or collectors.

I have no firm information that would be helpful to you, and I don't have a way of getting in touch with his children. Sorry.

Edo

Olá, Edo!

Such a shame his archive is (most likely) lost. 

Thank you for replying so promptly and for providing this information. :)

Best of luck with your move to Andalusia. Seville is a wonderful city.

José

Archived