Live News- beware duplicate submission going to QC fail queue

Having made a caption error and resubmitted through Live news, I was appalled this morning to find that the duplicate batch has gone into QC. Of course it's in the fail queue for size and sharpness, but news is supposed to bypass QC!

If I wasn't already in the fail queue I'd be livid at being put there by what seems to be Alamy's mistake.

So beware, don't submit a duplicate batch.

BTW I have already waited an hour for a satisfactory reply from MS, so I'm not jumping the gun.

Images not accepted as news images have always been transferred to your stock upload queue for QC. However, this seems to be some sort of special case. I think I would have e-mailed the newsdesk about the initial problem, perhaps they would correct the caption - or ask you to resubmit. They usually reply very fast.

A fail for size shouldn't be any problem as to sin bin. Sharpness something else.

They telephoned me and I told them about the duplicate sub. They said it would be deleted.

However MS are now saying it was rejected- it wasn't! The original batch, captions corrected, is on the newsfeed as we speak!

They seem unable to understand the concept of 'duplicate'.

If you make a caption error with your Live News upload (it's a common mistake I make when the clock is ticking), you can edit in My Images and they update immediately in the News window so there's no need to resubmit.

Richard.

Definitive answer is that there's only one way out of Live News, even for a duplicate sub, and that's to the stock queue, so if it wouldn't pass QC be careful and don't resend.

Be careful anyway- if you're not absolutely certain it will be accepted as news, don't submit either because it could put you in the bin.

I find it odd that Alamy have no control over images once uploaded, but that's what they say.

After having an image deemed not newsworthy three years ago and then spending a month in the sin bin because it subsequently failed regular QC, I now only upload images to Live News that I believe would pass regular QC.  Personally, I think that unaccepted news images should be deleted, not automatically made into something they weren't intended to be -- i.e. regular stock.

After having an image deemed not newsworthy three years ago and then spending a month in the sin bin because it subsequently failed regular QC, I now only upload images to Live News that I believe would pass regular QC.  Personally, I think that unaccepted news images should be deleted, not automatically made into something they weren't intended to be -- i.e. regular stock.

Mine go through as reportage after their time on the Live News pages. I thought that was the normal procedure.

Any case it means they bypass QC, but get the line This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage somewhere on their zoom page.

Maybe you do have to get permission to upload reportage/archival first? (I have that.)

wim

Mine go through as reportage after their time on the Live News pages. I thought that was the normal procedure.

Any case it means they bypass QC, but get the line This image could have imperfections as it’s either historical or reportage somewhere on their zoom page.

Maybe you do have to get permission to upload reportage/archival first? (I have that.)

wim

I do have reportage/archival permission. Images that are deemed "not newsworthy" are removed from the news feed and go into the QC queue where they are put through the regular QC process and will fail if they have the "imperfections" that Alamy mentions. This seems unfair to me because they were uploaded as news images, not stock. Fortunately, this has only happened to me once. I just posted this as another warning. I don't mean to highjack this thread.

The odd thing was that both batches, the correctly and incorrectly captioned, wen through to MI. Perhaps my mistake was in immediately deleting one set.

They were grab shots, cropped and enlarged to the News minimum size, so they didn't have a prayer at QC. Most unfair when one is told they will bypass QC.

In submissions' they no longer show as 'bypassed QC but just 'passed.

The odd thing was that both batches, the correctly and incorrectly captioned, wen through to MI. Perhaps my mistake was in immediately deleting one set.

They were grab shots, cropped and enlarged to the News minimum size, so they didn't have a prayer at QC. Most unfair when one is told they will bypass QC.

In submissions' they no longer show as 'bypassed QC but just 'passed.

Glad to hear things worked out. Hopefully, Alamy will overhaul this system one day and make it more consistent

How about this news photo?

N002R7.jpg
Hayden, Idaho, USA. 12th May, 2015. Close up of red quilted pillow

wim

I have seen some odd items sent to the newsfeed - like fluffy clouds in a blue sky, and people sitting in a park- but that one tops it.   Maybe it was a very newsworthy pillow.

Edit- I now see it's a stockimo image.  The submitter probably hit the wrong upload button and likely meant it for regular stock.

How about this news photo?

N002R7.jpg
Hayden, Idaho, USA. 12th May, 2015. Close up of red quilted pillow

wim

I have seen some odd items sent to the newsfeed - like fluffy clouds in a blue sky, and people sitting in a park- but that one tops it.   Maybe it was a very newsworthy pillow.

Edit- I now see it's a stockimo image.  The submitter probably hit the wrong upload button and likely meant it for regular stock.

I guess that red towels are big news in Idaho. After all, it's usually a blue (Democrat) state, I believe.

Archived