Keywording issue

I do try to make my keywording accurate and regularly check for and remove any keywords that produce searches that may not be what the buyer was looking for.  But I got a search this week that stumps me.  The search was for 'mountain equipment' which brought up 81 of my images but none that have either 'mountain' or 'mountain equipment' in them.  They do all contain the keyword 'equipment' and I assume the 'mountain' came from my pseudo "Zigzag Mountain Art".  Anyway the result is 81 images viewed, none of which the buyer was really interested in.

So is there something else I should be doing?  How do you prevent mass inaccurate searches like this?

Well I beg to differ based on my experience.

Sorry Mark, not true for pseudo's: space-cadet does not come up in searches for space cadet. Just test it, and you'll see.

wim

This often happens to me, just because my surname is "Bell". Every time someone searches for "doorbell" "door bell" "electric bell" etc. etc.

But I am not going to change my name.

Perhaps alamy could remove the contributors name from the general search, and if a buyer wishes to search for a Named contributor, include a seperate search box for that alone.

What about it Alamy?  Or shall I repeat this under the suggestions heading?

Allan

I've noticed recently that the search engine seems to be picking up words in the caption. For example, If I search my name and Live News everything I've submitted via the news feed recently comes up even though it doesn't appear in any of my keywords. BTW, anyone notice when Alamy started adding the photographer's name and Alamy Live News to the captions?

I've noticed recently that the search engine seems to be picking up words in the caption. For example, If I search my name and Live News everything I've submitted via the news feed comes up even though it doesn't appear in any of my keywords. BTW, anyone notice when Alamy started adding the photographer's name and Alamy Live News to the captions?

The Caption field has always been searchable, it carries low relevance: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp

Would have thought searching "your name (or pseud)" and "live news" would return all your images as pseudonyms are searchable. Was it different for News contributors at one stage?

J

>> Zigzag Mountain Art

ZigzagMountainArt also resolves issue.

>> But I am not going to change my name.

Your pseudo is NOT your name!

AllanBell resolves it.

MY NAME IS MY PSEUDO!

Allan

The Caption field has always been searchable, it carries low relevance: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp

Would have thought searching "your name (or pseud)" and "live news" would return all your images as pseudonyms are searchable. Was it different for News contributors at one stage?

J

Searching my name and Alamy Live News brings up the past 60 images I've uploaded to the news feed since March 23rd, but not the hundreds I've submitted via the news feed prior to that. Searching on my name brings up all of my images. The photo credit in the caption definitely seems to be a new addition.

>>>But I am not going to change my name.

>>Your pseudo is NOT your name!

>MY NAME IS MY PSEUDO!

NO!  When you change your pseudo to AllanBell

your name does NOT change!!

Ahhh!  I see what you mean. Thanks for idea. Are there any problems associated with changing your pseudo?

Allan

Ahhh!  I see what you mean. Thanks for idea. Are there any problems associated with changing your pseudo?

Allan

Yes:

1 - it can't be done ;-)

2 - if you do it, you lose the complete history of the pseudo you're currently using. Because:

The only way is to create a new pseudo and move all your images there. This takes about a minute with Manage Images 2. In the Myimages_V2.4 screen click on defaults and pseudonyms; then on Create new pseudonym.

In Myimages_V2.4 screen select all images from the drop down menu; set the Results per page to 96; click on Select all; now drag them all to the batch area on the bottom. Click on Next (page) and repeat  till the end of your collection. No problem with a collection of around 1500 like yours and mine, but it must be a pain if you have a collection the size of JG's.

From here it's simple: just choose the new pseudo in the edit menu.

It's clunky, but it works.

I found out because I once wanted to change from wim wiskerke to Wim Wiskerke. That way I lost all history attached to the first pseudo. So if you value your data: just keep the old pseudo. You lose your ranking too of course.

wim

Allan

Yes:

1 - it can't be done ;-)

2 - if you do it, you lose the complete history of the pseudo you're currently using. Because:

The only way is to create a new pseudo and move all your images there. This takes about a minute with Manage Images 2. In the Myimages_V2.4 screen click on defaults and pseudonyms; then on Create new pseudonym.

In Myimages_V2.4 screen select all images from the drop down menu; set the Results per page to 96; click on Select all; now drag them all to the batch area on the bottom. Click on Next (page) and repeat  till the end of your collection. No problem with a collection of around 1500 like yours and mine, but it must be a pain if you have a collection the size of JG's.

From here it's simple: just choose the new pseudo in the edit menu.

It's clunky, but it works.

I found out because I once wanted to change from wim wiskerke to Wim Wiskerke. That way I lost all history attached to the first pseudo. So if you value your data: just keep the old pseudo. You lose your ranking too of course.

wim

Thanks Wim. Think I will leave things as they are with my name/pseudo as is. Don't want to risk my ranking.

Allan

Archived