Capture One Express FREE for Sony users

Thanks very much, Linda. I'm not familiar with Capture One. How good is it?

In the opinion of some, very good . . . although I'm not sure how much of a compromise "express" is compared to "pro" . . .

dd

Thank you Linda, I have downloaded and installed it.

So far as I can see however it is only a 60 day trial, after which I guess I have to pay. . .

Peter, where does it say that it's a 60-day trial? I didn't see that on the website. Thought it might be too good to be true, though.

It's the best OOTB raw convertor in most people's opinion. Certainly I would say it's superior to ACR. I'm still on v7 Pro and but don't use it for most work because I need to have an LR workflow for clients. 

Considering how cheap the full fat version is, if you are going to use it...buy the pro version. Their blog has loads of tutorials on using it.

So far as I can see however it is only a 60 day trial, after which I guess I have to pay. . .

Peter, where does it say that it's a 60-day trial? I didn't see that on the website. Thought it might be too good to be true, though.

Hi John,

I went through the installation process, and got to a page to select which Cap1 product, the options were:

(1) PRO

(2) PRO (for Sony)

(3) Express (for Sony)

(4)  DB for MamiyaLeaf

I clicked (2), and got three options:

(1)  Try (60-day)

(2) Buy

(3) Activate (If you have a license key)  (Which I don't)

I will investigate the "Express (for Sony)" option and report back, maybe it is a free cut down option.

If you had a different kind of interface after downloading, please let me know.

It's the best OOTB raw convertor in most people's opinion. Certainly I would say it's superior to ACR. I'm still on v7 Pro and but don't use it for most work because I need to have an LR workflow for clients. 

Considering how cheap the full fat version is, if you are going to use it...buy the pro version. Their blog has loads of tutorials on using it.

+1. 

I don't like their keywording system but now I've found Photo Mechanic and that it integrates well with C1 Sessions, I don't really care anymore.

I've been playing with C1 Pro v8 for the last couple of weeks and for me, the key selling point for the new version is the much improved Shadow / Highlight tool and improved speed. C1 v7 would flatten the mid-tone contrast quite a bit when recovering highlights but not in C1v8. 

I'll upgrade from the C1v7 pro  when I get to the end of the 60 day trial of C1v8. 

See when it comes to raw converters. No matter what or which one. I always find the cameras own converter to be the best and most optimized one. Maybe not for lots and lots of tools but certainly for just converting. ACR will clip the color channels, especially yellow but I suppose as a general jack of all but master of no camera, its OK.

Hi John,

I went through the installation process, and got to a page to select which Cap1 product, the options were:

(1) PRO

(2) PRO (for Sony)

(3) Express (for Sony)

(4)  DB for MamiyaLeaf

(1)  Try (60-day)

(2) Buy

I will investigate the "Express (for Sony)" option and report back, maybe it is a free cut down option.

Thanks. I haven't installed the download yet. If I see different options, I'll let you know.

They should have put that info on their website IMO. Sneaky buggers.

Saw this:

http://www.phaseone.com/PhaseOne/Downloads/Materials/Download-CO-for-Sony.aspx

L

I think you'll find Linda, this version Capture One Express is the last one unless it has morphed into bundled software. They want you to use the  rpo version

Regards

John

Saw this:

http://www.phaseone.com/PhaseOne/Downloads/Materials/Download-CO-for-Sony.aspx

L

I think you'll find Linda, this version Capture One Express is the last one unless it has morphed into bundled software. They want you to use the  rpo version

Regards

John

John, do you mean "pro" (rather than "rpo") version?

Hi John,

(1) PRO

(2) PRO (for Sony)

(3) Express (for Sony)

(4)  DB for MamiyaLeaf

(1)  Try (60-day)

(2) Buy

Thanks. I haven't installed the download yet. If I see different options, I'll let you know.

I have been trying out the "Sony Express" version, which does not have a 60-day limit.

It seems to work quite nicely, but the snag for me is that it does not seem to recognize .DNG files.    For a number of years now I have converted all RAW files to DNG when importing from the camera and to keep the Sony ones as ARW would make an unnecessary complication.   I know that you can make DNG's with the original RAW file embedded, but the files become unacceptably large.   I will play with the "Sony Express" some more, but I expect to stick with LR5.

Hi John,

(1) PRO

(2) PRO (for Sony)

(3) Express (for Sony)

(4)  DB for MamiyaLeaf

(1)  Try (60-day)

(2) Buy

I have been trying out the "Sony Express" version, which does not have a 60-day limit.

It seems to work quite nicely, but the snag for me is that it does not seem to recognize .DNG files.    For a number of years now I have converted all RAW files to DNG when importing from the camera and to keep the Sony ones as ARW would make an unnecessary complication.   I know that you can make DNG's with the original RAW file embedded, but the files become unacceptably large.   I will play with the "Sony Express" some more, but I expect to stick with LR5.

I finally got around to installing Sony Express but haven't fooled around with it yet. You're correct, it doesn't seem to have a 60-day expiry date. That must have been for the pro version.

Archived