ALERT for USA ***

I just saw on the Today show that millions of user names and passwords have been stolen in the US.  I assume only the US.  They would not reveal what entities or businesses, whether it was multiple or only one huge business that has been compromised, but suggested everyone change their passwords immediately.  I guess after the hit Target took when that happened, they've decided not to tell.

I have changed all my banking, PayPal and Alamy passwords, suggest you do the same.  

What a pain. One of my banks kept refusing the changes.  I finally called the bank and the support guy said they were accepted.  I only spent 30 minutes trying to change that information with no online confirmation!!   :angry:  A great way to start my day.

Betty

Quotes from USA Today

"Hold Security said it is trying to contact the victims, but most of the websites remain vulnerable. Holden would not identify the victims, but said they included the auto industry, real estate, oil companies, consulting firms, car rental businesses, hotels, computer hardware and software firms and the food industry. The gang targeted SQL databases, Holden said."

"Security expert Phil Lieberman, CEO of Lieberman Software, thinks the theft may be more of a warning or a veiled threat from the Russians. "I think this is a political statement rather than a security threat," he said. "I think there is a message being sent and the message is: Watch out.""

Allan

Quotes from USA Today

"Hold Security said it is trying to contact the victims, but most of the websites remain vulnerable. Holden would not identify the victims, but said they included the auto industry, real estate, oil companies, consulting firms, car rental businesses, hotels, computer hardware and software firms and the food industry. The gang targeted SQL databases, Holden said."

"Security expert Phil Lieberman, CEO of Lieberman Software, thinks the theft may be more of a warning or a veiled threat from the Russians. "I think this is a political statement rather than a security threat," he said. "I think there is a message being sent and the message is: Watch out.""

Allan

The only thing I do these days that's on that list is eat . . . and I always pay case. I never pay for anything with my bank debut card, by the way. Credit Cards are insured. ATM cards are not. 

Quotes from USA Today

Allan

The only thing I do these days that's on that list is eat . . . and I always pay case. I never pay for anything with my bank debut card, by the way. Credit Cards are insured. ATM cards are not. 

Good you reminded us of that. I think I am the only one without an ATM or debit card. For cash,good old fashion checks but for most purchases except restaurants I use my credit cards.    L

Quotes from USA Today

Allan

Good you reminded us of that. I think I am the only one without an ATM or debit card. For cash,good old fashion checks but for most purchases except restaurants I use my credit cards.    L

I hardly ever use my debit cards. However, it seems that everyone else in Vancouver does. I'm usually the only one in the lineup paying cash. Credit cards are another matter. It's almost impossible not to use them these days. I didn't get my first one until I was 35. No debt back then. I kinda miss those days when banking was so much simpler.

I never pay for anything with my bank debut card, by the way. Credit Cards are insured. ATM cards are not. 

This depends on your bank. I've had several freudulent charges on my debit card and Chase has always refunded the money promptly. I prefer to pay by credit or debit card because I can download it into Quicken and track business expenses.

If you have online banking you should check your account every couple days for unauthorized charges and fees whether there's a story in the news or not.

fD

I'm willing to bet the breach follows the following protocols...

30% of the passwords discovered are "password"

30% of the passwords discovered are "password1"

30% of the passwords discovered are "Password1"

5% of the paswords discovered are "ABC123"

...and the rest they just got lucky at.

Ed, I've had my "debit" card number hacked twice - both times via an internet purchase at a bike shop in Milwaukee.  Both times I was OK with the result.  It doesn't depend on the type of card, it depends on how you use it.  If you use your debit card as a credit card you are usually fine.  If you use your debit card (with PIN #) on the purchase, then you have a harder time mostly because the money is cleared from your bank in a different manner (and removed from your account immediately).

Like Linda, I do not use debit cards.  I've heard too many bad stories, and they seemed to be the often thing messed with.  I use checks and credit cards.  Period.  I don't even use ATM pins to get cash.  If I need cash, I write a check for it, or go in the bank and withdraw some.  

Every so often people lurk and catch you using an ATM, and force you to withdraw all you can, and maybe shoot you once done.  Of course, I think that happens at night, when nobody is around.

I think that's why my neck is worn out, it's always on a swivel for the bad guys.  Especially in parking garages.

Betty it is illegal in the UK for citizens to arm themselves with any kind of protection device but in the states, in certain if not all states, you can use these for self defence I believe.  If that statement is true could you pick up a Taser for your own protection?

Allan

Not wishing to start a war.

Betty it is illegal in the UK for citizens to arm themselves with any kind of protection device but in the states, in certain if not all states, you can use these for self defence I believe.  If that statement is true could you pick up a Taser for your own protection?

Allan

Oh, I probably could, Allan, but then I'd add something else heavy to my already packed handbag.  I really don't want to take the kitchen sink out of it. ;)​  Plus I want to keep my Sony RX100 MK3 in there.  I certainly know how to aim a kick or a knee to a sensitive area, though.  :angry:

Allan

Oh, I probably could, Allan, but then I'd add something else heavy to my already packed handbag.  I really don't want to take the kitchen sink out of it. ;)​  Plus I want to keep my Sony RX100 MK3 in there.  I certainly know how to aim a kick or a knee to a sensitive area, though.  :angry:

OUCH! That HURTS! :(

Allan

Archived