Fuji X and Old Flash - A Warning!

I have an answer to my occasional need for  flash that will do until better ETTL flash becomes available for the Fuji X-T1.

I am using an old Viivitar 283 (GN about 36m). It is an old fasioned auto flash (remember them?) with its own sensor; so all I do is use the scale to determine aperture for max distance and ISO and set the camera ISO, shutter to 1/180X and the appropriate aperture - the flash then takes care of the exposure up to maximum distance. Just had to clean up slightly corroded terminals as it had not been used for 15 years. Glad I did not sell it or throw it out!. I will have to make small calculations for ISO above 400. shows how old it is but it was popular even amongst pros when it was launched.

It is a bit bulky but I used it for many years it on Canon AE-1P and T90s which are pretty similar weight and size to the X-T1 especially with grip.

A zero cost solution until such time as a proper all-singing, all-dancing flash becomes available. I am a happy bunny, I have a solution I can take on holiday this summer especially as I probably won't use it! :)

I'm not sure if it's that Vivitar but isn't the voltage too high?

I had read that a few years ago when I was using those flashes.I'd only use them with remotes after reading some flash/camera horror stories of cameras being ruined.

L

Indeed it is that Vivitar.

The later ones such as my 2800 are down around 6-12V, which is fine for digital cameras, but the 283 has a trigger voltage of over 250V. It will probably toast the firing circuit eventually.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Taming-the-high-trigger-voltage-of-the-Vivitar-283/

Thanks Linda, I had forgotten. Apparently the X-T1 hot shoe is good to 300volt trigger voltage according to the user manual, my Vivitar 283 is 285volt (later ones may be lower - I have seen 165v mentioned) - that is rather too close for comfort (any spike when it fires and ...) so I will not be using it after all! I would probably get away with ity but it is not worth the risk!

Linda makes an IMPORTANT POINT - older flash guns may have too high a trigger voltage for modern equipment. There are ways of isolating (Safe Sync ?) such equipment but only use it if you know what you are doing and are sure it is safe. I won't be! It is not worth risking £1,000 worth of kit for sake of a saving a £100 or thereabouts

Thanks Linda for a timely reminder. I would give you 10 greenies if I could, but you will have to make do with one.

Thanks Linda, I had forgotten. Apparently the X-T1 hot shoe is good to 300volt trigger voltage according to the user manual, my Vivitar 283 is 285volt - that is rather too close for comfort (any spike when it fires and ...) so I will not be using it after all! I would probably get away with ity but it is not worth the risk!

Linda makes an IMPORTANT POINT - older flash guns may have too high a trigger voltage for modern equipment. There are ways of isolating (Safe Sync ?) such equipment but only use it if you know what you are doing and are sure it is safe. I won't be! It is not worth risking £1,000 worth of kit for sake of a saving a £100 or thereabouts

Thanks Linda for a timely reminder. I would give you 10 greenies if I could, but you will have to make do with one.

Either get some remotes but better yet,sell it and spend $80 on the Yongnuo 560 III  :-)

L

I was thinking of the Yonguno but on manual the output is fixed so how do you cope in a news (or action) situation where the distance is varying (2-4:1) from shot to shot? That was what made me think of the built in auto of the old Vivitar.

You can change the ratio and zoom the flash out.I use it for all my red carpet events. At 1/4 power say 6-10 feet or so away,the recycle is fast.

I've been working w/flash for more than 30 years so after awhile it just becomes intuitive. Shoot raw!

L

Thanks Linda, I had forgotten. Apparently the X-T1 hot shoe is good to 300volt trigger voltage according to the user manual, my Vivitar 283 is 285volt (later ones may be lower - I have seen 165v mentioned) - that is rather too close for comfort (any spike when it fires and ...) so I will not be using it after all! I would probably get away with ity but it is not worth the risk!

I have just given Linda another green one for both of us Martin.

Allan

Archived