Need to identify Building at the Toronto Ferry Docks

Silly me, I ASSUMED that this building was a rowing club and I would be able to find it on google. But, it isn't a rowing club and street view will not go there, so I am stumped. You would think with the oar on the building it would certainly have something to do with rowing. But the mosaic is all about the ferries.

It is located at the ferry docks and you pass it when you are leaving the ferry.

toronto-mosaic-9970%20small.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jill

Are you able to zoom in on the name board? It's too blurred on this image.

a further google search under 'mosaic toronto ferries' shows a link to pinterest which records it as the 'jack layton ferry terminal'. Does that help?

It is the City of Toronto Logo, but it does say Forest, Parks and Recreation. The pic was taken at the ferry docks, but I am now assuming (not again!) that it is some city maintenance building for the ferries. Its that stupid oar on the side that is throwing me off.

Jill

Doesn't help a lot, but scroll down this blog, there is an image and some mentioning of the art as part of the "shore story" installation - but no building identification.

http://icelandpenny.wordpress.com/2013/07/07/art-architecture-on-the-toronto-islands/

The oar doesn't look like a rowing club oar - more like a general old maritime symbol.

Oh, a few minutes too late. wiskerke has given you all the information you could ask for   :)

Great links to help with keywording, but my mosaic isn't on the retaining wall, its on that darn building, which I suppose isn't overly important to the story of the mosaic.

You are one heck of a researcher. I'll use those references for my keywording and not worry too much about the building itself.

+1 for you.

Jill

That's exactly why I posted the links. When I keyword I keep a list of things like that, just to check for things I haven't thought of myself. Here it's something like community art project.

And I figured it would somehow give you a clue as to where your wall fits in. Don't you have an intersection or something like that?

Maybe the art project is more important than the building. For keywords I mean.

wim

edit: sorry forgot to thank you for the compliment ;-)

That's exactly why I posted the links. When I keyword I keep a list of things like that, just to check for things I haven't thought of myself. Here it's something like community art project.

And I figured it would somehow give you a clue as to where your wall fits in. Don't you have an intersection or something like that?

Maybe the art project is more important than the building. For keywords I mean.

wim

edit: sorry forgot to thank you for the compliment ;-)

I've decided the building itself isn't really important and not going to worry exactly what its for. It's the mosaic that is the focal point of the shot and yes, just giving the directions of where it is at the ferry docks is probably good enough. I wasn't cheeky enough though to go up to it and get some closer shots. Probably could have, but it looked like it was in a no public access area. Next time I'm down, I might just wander over.

Jill

Archived