Medium Format digital rumours

Well, Fuji did off the wall things with film MF cameras. But an account manager working for a major professional dealer recently told me that MF sales are only a few hundred per year, perhaps barely 1,000 a year in the UK in total. Would explain why Hasselblad are struggling especially if those low figures are repeated globally.

Another more possibility would be a digital X-pan. After all the original was manufactured by Fuji and sold as such in many markets especially in Asia.

I would gladly welcome it if it were truly a "medium format" sensor.  Many people believe their 36mp Nikons are "medium format" but that's not the case - they are full frame cameras with a higher megapixel count.  Medium format is different - it shoots different, it acts different, and the images render a different "look" than what you get out of a full frame sensor.

Wow,how much will that cost? Well they took a different turn and who knows.PhaseOne has a medium format which a lot of high profile photogs rave about. Hasselblad doesn't seem to be mentioned as much anymore.

Doubtful our lovely Fuji primes would cover the bigger sensor field of medium format.

I'm sure images form this will be stunning! But for what I shoot at this time  it really would be overkill.

L

Wow,how much will that cost? Well they took a different turn and who knows.PhaseOne has a medium format which a lot of high profile photogs rave about. Hasselblad doesn't seem to be mentioned as much anymore.

Doubtful our lovely Fuji primes would cover the bigger sensor field of medium format.

I'm sure images form this will be stunning! But for what I shoot at this time  it really would be overkill.

L

But Fuji have lots of experience designing and making lenses to cover most MF formats from 6x4.5 through 5x7, 6x8 up to 6x9. They may even have provided lenses for large format of which I am not aware. They already have the lens design, they may just need an update.

I agree it is more than a tiny number of photographers need, so would it be viable? I guess it might if they could find a way of lowering the price and raising demand; but they are struggling to do that with X series. A lot of photographers would WANT it even if they don't NEED it.

L

But Fuji have lots of experience designing and making lenses to cover most MF formats from 6x4.5 through 5x7, 6x8 up to 6x9. They may even have provided lenses for large format of which I am not aware. They already have the lens design, they may just need an update.

I agree it is more than a tiny number of photographers need, so would it be viable? I guess it might if they could find a way of lowering the price and raising demand; but they are struggling to do that with X series. A lot of photographers would WANT it even if they don't NEED it.

I know a bit about their history but I was refering to the amazing lenses we are using now with the X APS-C cameras.  I'm sure they'd have lenses specific for the new line of MF cameras.  

L

Fuji has manufactured glass for all formats for decades - their repro and technical lenses, and their large format range, were legendary. I shot with the GX680 system for a couple of years. They already actually make all the glass for the Hasselblad system as it now stands, and the cameras themselves are made by Fuji, with the digital parts provided from Sweden/Denmark. A current Hasselblad actually is a Fuji.

The suggestion was that the Fuji X-mount is able to handle full frame, and I can confirm that - the contact array is just a little more intrusive than the NEX array, but it's possible for the Fuji to do full-frame X.

I had a Fuji film medium format as well in the early 1990s.So much fun to shoot with that lightweight camera after getting rid of my boxy Bronica SQA

L

I also used Fuji MF rangefinder cameras back in the 90s and really liked them — the image quality of the 6x9 and the point-and-shoot portability of the 645.

As for flash, I'm looking forward to getting the Nissin i40 when it becomes available for Fuji.

Archived