Jpegs straight out of Fuji X-E1 and QC?

Hi, could I just ask all X-E1 users are any of you routinely submitting jpegs straight out of camera and are they going through ok? When I say straight out of camera obviously I mean after you have checked them :)

Thanks

I don't have an X-E1, but I do shoot and upload Jpegs straight from camera from X-M1 (same sensor as X-E1 & X-Pro1) and my old X100. The Jpegs out of these camera's are absolutley these Fuji's are excellent and you should have no problem passing QC with Jpegs straight from thes X=Trans sensor camera's.

This one was a jpeg straight from the X-M1 (shot in square crop mode) with nikkor 24mm Tilt/shift lens, hand held!

DP9TMY.jpg

This a jpeg straight from X100 (handheld in the pouring rain at night),

DT5HP8.jpg

Cheers,

Parm  

(Must add....The nikkor 24mm f3.5 PC-E (tilt/shift) has to have a power supply in order to change aperature, but the fuji X cameras do not have the contacts to do this, so I tinkered around abit and found you could set a desired aperature by first mounting the lens on a nikon body, switch power on and set your desired aperature....then without turning camera power off, remove the lens from the nikon body, the aperture of the lens will remain frozen at what you last chose, now mount it on you fuji with adapter. Downside is you will only have use of that one aperature, unless you want to lug your nikon body around with you too. :lol:

I haven't had any problems with OOC jpegs from My X-E1 getting through, occasionally I use Capture One to convert RAW files. In the past I've always used RAW convertors but the fuji's jpegs are so good. Tend to use the Astia setting

I haven't had any problems with OOC jpegs from My X-E1 getting through, occasionally I use Capture One to convert RAW files. In the past I've always used RAW convertors but the fuji's jpegs are so good. Tend to use the Astia setting

I archive my RAW files from the X.pro and just use the ooc j.pegs, usually shot at the Astia setting also, no problems with QC....

Also using Capture One to process Fuji ARF files but I wish they would give users the software they use to convert to jpegs in camera. Not the conversion software offered in their download.

Reason is I do not think it is the same.

Allan

I've uploaded some jpeg images straight from our X-E1, and all are approved. I'm having more troubles getting my Canon 5D (mk I and II) approved...

These Fujifilm X-sensor machines are really great! And their lenses are too :-)

Thanks everyone. I have now set up the camera to take raw and jpegs, I just need to work out how to get lightroom to load the jpeg ! It automatically loads the Raw. Only just starting to look but I am guessing I need to go to the file they were put into first ? Anyway I will work it out I am sure, I would just like to do a little comparison.

Those of you that are using jpegs straight from camera, are you bothering to capture in Raw too or just jpeg only?

Thanks again for ever helpful responses. :)

We capture in both raw and jpeg (we used to do alot of weddings, and it's a leftover from there...), however, we almost always use the jpegs. Most of the time we use the Velvia setting btw.

About Lightroom, there is a setting to import to the jpegs too, but it takes a while to find it, we've been struggling with it too. I think it was in the catalogue settings, but I'm not sure, and I don't have a LR here to check...

I have an X-Pro1 and a x100s and will be receiving an XT-1 tomorrow.  I shoot both RAW and JPG.  I import both into Lightroom.  Generally, if the JPG is fine, I will stack the photos together.  9 times out of 10 I just end up submitting the jpg.

http://www.lightroompresets.com/blogs/pretty-presets-blog/7528404-how-to-handle-raw-jpeg-in-lightroom-part-3

Lightroom is rumored to be coming out with an update soon that will allow you to mimic in camera processing of your RAW files so essentially you will only need to capture RAW images and then set the pre-set in Lightroom to mimic what you want the image to look like.

http://petapixel.com/2014/02/02/rumor-x-trans-film-simulation-support-coming-soon-lightroom-camera-raw/

We capture in both raw and jpeg (we used to do alot of weddings, and it's a leftover from there...), however, we almost always use the jpegs. Most of the time we use the Velvia setting btw.

About Lightroom, there is a setting to import to the jpegs too, but it takes a while to find it, we've been struggling with it too. I think it was in the catalogue settings, but I'm not sure, and I don't have a LR here to check...

Many thanks, I have been playing around with the settings and keep going back to Velvia, I like it. :) I will check out the catalogue settings in Lightroom.  I must also say, I am very impressed with the sharpness, almost like its been sharpened :)

Many thanks, I have been playing around with the settings and keep going back to Velvia, I like it. :) I will check out the catalogue settings in Lightroom.  I must also say, I am very impressed with the sharpness, almost like its been sharpened :)

I always used the Fuji Velvia rolls when I was still shooting film (except for portraiture), and these X-Sensor bodies are the first that give me the same wow as when I was using the original film. Love it!

The sharpness of the Fuji X is indeed incredible too, I was really baffled when I first saw it (and still am regularly).

Ha ha, I was baffled too, compared to my Canon 5D mk1, its incredible. I had to check I had any auto sharpening turned off!

I think I have sussed the import of jpegs, I have it set to not import suspected duplicates, so will try my next import without that ticked.

Thanks Ed, I tried the lightroom link and it wouldn't work :(  Are you using LR4 by the way?

I'm a Creative Cloud subscriber so I get updated to whatever the latest version is.

That's strange - the link works for me....U.S. computer going through Canadian Proxy server.

Thanks everyone. I have now set up the camera to take raw and jpegs, I just need to work out how to get lightroom to load the jpeg ! It automatically loads the Raw. Only just starting to look but I am guessing I need to go to the file they were put into first ? Anyway I will work it out I am sure, I would just like to do a little comparison.

Those of you that are using jpegs straight from camera, are you bothering to capture in Raw too or just jpeg only?

Thanks again for ever helpful responses. :)

I shoot purely raw (X-T1 & X-Pro1). What I have started doing is processing the occasional raw in camera to velvia/astia etc. While viewing the file, hit the Q menu button and it will bring up the processing options. Pick your film type etc and process. It adds the new jpg file to the back of the existing files. I quite like doing this, it saves having stacks of unwanted files at the end of a shoot.

For processing X-T1 raws, I change the camera name in the EXIF data to show X100s (same sensor) and then I can import them into Capture One Pro 7 as normal.

Also using Capture One to process Fuji ARF files but I wish they would give users the software they use to convert to jpegs in camera. Not the conversion software offered in their download.

Allan

What, if any, sharpening do you apply in Capture One, I find they come out too soft. I'm now finding the camera raw release candidate for Photoshop pretty good. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw8-4.html

Allan

What, if any, sharpening do you apply in Capture One, I find they come out too soft. I'm now finding the camera raw release candidate for Photoshop pretty good. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw8-4.html

I do not have a single standard sharpening procedure. Each image is treated on it's own merits.

Back to the processing software that Fuji issue with their cameras. (X-E2, X-pro, etc) I notice that I have only received Silkypix 3 on disc but if you go to Fuji's site they are offering Silkypix 5 for a lot of dosh.

At least Canon gave you the latest processing software which you were able to update free of charge.

Allan

I tend to shoot JPG + RAW. JPG set to the film style i want... if the style does not suit the pic then i process the RAW but 9/10 with the Fuji the JPG is uploaded,

I think I'm going to do a lot more of this in the future, cut down on processing time. I like the function that allows you to process another jpg from a raw inside the camera to one of the film types available. Comes in handy if you feel you picked the wrong one first time round.

Archived