Smartphone resolution question

I've been playing with my Android this afternoon - making pictures, uploading them to Dropbox and downloading them into my Mac (works a treat!) and for the first time, inspecting the metadata for each file, shot under different conditions. Not that any are worth sending to Stockimo ..

Anyway, what flummoxed me is that while the first ones I shot have the full res of 2560 x 1920 (it's a 5mp Samsung) but at some point they then reduced to 800 x 600. I really don't think I've changed any settings: all the highest settings in the phone (Superfine jpeg and Resolution) remain intact but the only thing that differs is that the Colour Profile (sRGB) is missing from the smallest files.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does the phone itself choose whether to embed the Profile and hence, reduce the resolution? Chosen effects, for example?

I've never come across a relationship between a Colour Profile and resolution before and anyway, we're talking of a huge leap from 2560 to 800 pixels wide!

Told you I was flummoxed!

Cheers,

Richard.

Some phone apps can resize your images as part of their built in send/share functions. The intention is obviously to make a smaller file size to save your data transfer usage and as phone shot images are often only sent around for viewing on screens it makes sense. Might be worth checking this isn't happening.

Alex

Thanks, Alex.

Mmm, I've used the same upload method each time but there's no consistency in the file sizes. Maybe there's something hidden for me to look for ..

Thanks Mihai, 

I'm set at the max resolution within the camera so it shouldn't lie there.

Richard. 

I've noticed with my iphone that if I use wi-fi to tranfer to my pc (via photostream) it reduces the pixels from 3262x2448 down to 2048x1536, so could be something like that.

Doesn't seem any way of altering it either which is somewhat annoying.

Dave

I've noticed with my iphone that if I use wi-fi to tranfer to my pc (via photostream) it reduces the pixels from 3262x2448 down to 2048x1536, so could be something like that.

Doesn't seem any way of altering it either which is somewhat annoying.

Dave

I'm not sure what you mean by Photostream... is that one of Apple's Cloud apps?

Anyway I've noticed that iTunes "optimizes" photos when you transfer them from a computer to an iPhone or iPad. I genrally use Lightroom to transfer images from the phone to the computer. Then I email them to myself when I want to transfer them back to the phone.

fD

• 1 month later...

For those of you who are able to do so, you might take a look at the opening credits of food writer-TV dude Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. The opening credits of each segment run over a montage that looks as if it were done in stylized Stockamo. But when something is done in a hip, vivid style, with a special look, one wonders about the shelf life. The essence of style is change, after all. 

B)

I'm not an Android user but here's my method. I use an iPhone 5S to take my Stockimo photos and then use 'air drop' to send them magically over to my iPad. I don't e-mail them. It's too hard to use iPhoto on my small iPhone screen. I edit and submit on my iPad mini.

I'm not an Android user but here's my method. I use an iPhone 5S to take my Stockimo photos and then use 'air drop' to send them magically over to my iPad. I don't e-mail them. It's too hard to use iPhoto on my small iPhone screen. I edit and submit on my iPad mini.

How is the quality on the iPhone 5S?  I'm thinking of ditching my iPhone 4...Not sure if I should wait for the iPhone 6 but not sure when it will even be announced!

L

If you are after the best possible images out of the iPhone, try ghetto app 645pro. It handles the camera better than the native app (don't ask me how or why), it's not as fast as the native app but the images are defiantly better than it. Can save in various jpgs or tiff.....

Archived