Nikon Wide Angle

Looking at your stuff on Alamy, a lot of it seems to be street photography (broadly speaking) so maybe the 28 would be more suitable for this purpose than the 24. Also you are going to pay a lot more for the 1.4 than the 2.8 but presumably you want the extra speed. However, with a D700 you have great latitude in terms of underexposure and/or high ISO so maybe you don't need the 1.4.

On the D700, you can use the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 - maybe hard to find, as I don't think they make them now, but a very good lens and can be knocked around without worrrying about value. Fast AF and generally excellent optical performance. There is also the option of the Samyang 24mm f/1.4. This is an excellent bit of glass, but manual focus. There are two versions for Nikon, one with focus confirmation and EXIF data (chipped, with contacts) and the other a dumb lens with just a manual aperture setting - the cheap version is also sold as Rokinon, etc and I think you can only get the better one under the Samyang label itself.

The Nikon 28mm f/1.8 is far smaller and lighter than the 24mm f/1.4. I like 24mm as a focal length and find it hard to accept 28mm as a good alternative. You can always crop or move closer, quite often you can't step back if 28mm is not wide enough.

In fairness, the new Sigma 12-24mm HSM II is just slightly different in field flatness. The corners aren't really soft, they are just focused a bit closer. The old version had a zone of closer focus around 1/2 way out from centre then back to normal at the edges. This was much worse, you got a sort of soft zone which makes the lens look as if it has a flaw (Canon 24-105mm L has the same characteristic, so do most lenses with moustache-form distortion).

Wide open is f/5.6 and ask any old large format hand whether they would have expected a 45mm f/5.6 used on 5 x 4 a) to have covered the film at all or b ) to be sharp in the corners wide open, because that 12mm on full frame is equal a 45mm on 5 x 4 or a rather impossible 18mm on 6 x 4.5cm rollfilm!

Cant believe the Nikon 16-35 F4 has not been suggested.Great lens, the VR is really good on this one and usable. The lens is nice and sharp with fast focus...

I’ve heard good things about this lens – but my concern with it is that it is F4; especially with environmental portraiture.  When using it in “challenging” conditions (i.e. lighting, handheld and moving subjects) and with travel throughout Africa and Asia.

Surely a slow shutter speed is still a slow shutter speed?

I’ve heard good things about this lens – but my concern with it is that it is F4; especially with environmental portraiture.  When using it in “challenging” conditions (i.e. lighting, handheld and moving subjects) and with travel throughout Africa and Asia.

Sure is for moving / rustling subjects. I felt a real fool thinking (or not so really) otherwise the first time I took out a VR back in 2004 ! But VR is great for static interiors etc. (Especially in places with tripod bans !)

But on the plus side Nikon VR can deal with panning so you get the benefits if you pan right on a moving subject.

As for lenses I use a Nikon 20mm f2.8 and I remember researching quite a bit before I bought this on EBay. Suits me fine for when I need some width. 

But again I am now using Autopano Pro to stitch together two shots quite a lot these days...

John Crellin

Sure is for moving / rustling subjects. I felt a real fool thinking (or not so really) otherwise the first time I took out a VR back in 2004 ! But VR is great for static interiors etc. (Especially in places with tripod bans !)

But on the plus side Nikon VR can deal with panning so you get the benefits if you pan right on a moving subject.

As for lenses I use a Nikon 20mm f2.8 and I remember researching quite a bit before I bought this on EBay. Suits me fine for when I need some width. 

But again I am now using Autopano Pro to stitch together two shots quite a lot these days...

John Crellin

The Nikon 14-24 lives up to it's reputation but I have a  Nikon 20mm f3.5 AIS since the '80s and the still current 20 mm AFD f2.8. I find vignetting a problem with both 20 mm Nikkors but love the angle of view and the size.

John

Archived