5 minutes ago, Rubens Alarcon said:

The option to buy prints is now gone from Edge browser. Back to the "normal" screen.

I thought that too. But if I log out, delete cookies, clear cache and reload, they come back.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I use Firefox (in the UK) and if I open a Private Window I can now see the "Buy a print" option on the left immediately below the main image, together with the Standard and Enhanced licences on the right. I'm not logged in. I did clear the cache, but not cookies, I don't know if that made a difference.

Clearly quite a lot isn't working properly, hence the testing. Media Storehouse confirmed as the supplier.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I can't see the 'Buy a Print' button today. Wanted to see how Archive and Public Domain images are treated in this.

I suspect that it is all in trial at the moment.

Time will tell...

12 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I suspect that it is all in trial at the moment.

Ah, but then so do my Editiorial images, work in progress perhaps. If I log in then all the new stuff disappears so not a proper test really.

Edited by Harry Harrison

3 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Ah, but then so do my Editiorial images, work in progress perhaps. If I log in then all the new stuff disappears so not a proper test really.

7 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Currently your archive images (e.g. 2T4HC91) have the 'Buy a print' option.

It will be interesting to see what print sizes are offered for some very small Archive images - they only have to be over 5Mb to be accepted.

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

t will be interesting to see what print sizes are offered for some very small Archive images - they only have to be over 5Mb to be accepted.

Very good point, at the moment it seems that you can order any size for any image. Not sure I'd be thrilled with a 60" x 40" Fine Art Print from my 12MP X100. Maybe there's some guidance that I haven't seen, guidance is probably all that's necessary. Also people can Zoom & Crop.

Not great fees - I had this one last month for $2.86 gross

Media: Retail poster
Print run: up to 1,000
Image Size: up to 1/8 area
Start: 30 July 2024
End: 30 July 2027
wall art - Print on Demand Sales Q2-2024

10 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

wall art - Print on Demand Sales Q2-2024

I clearly don't know enough about this but I can't see how the buyer would have been given that option through the new 'Buy a print' option, the Media Storehouse 'Poster print' options that I see are for an individual image printed as a poster in sizes up to A0, with or without a thin margin and/or Caption. Would that use be where the buyer gets a download and prints the posters themselves, so they are just buying the license to do that?

On 31/07/2024 at 06:52, MB Photography said:

I thought it said Retail Poster?

What does the Print on Demand mean? 7/8 of it must be a blank border.

Good questions. Apparently the new print ordering option is different from "Retail Poster". I suppose that 1/8 area could mean use in a photo montage or text poster of some kind, and POD might allow the buyer to have up to 1000 prints made. But who knows for sure...

8 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Very good point, at the moment it seems that you can order any size for any image.

I don't think so. If the DPI goes too low, I get a message "Please select a smaller print size for this image". Which seems sensible.

Mmm.. I'd tended to downsize to be sure of passing Alamy QC, now it seems that may have limited my POD (via Alamy) opportunities...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

The available print and frame size options don't seem to suit panoramic format images very well. The choice of frame styles also appears quite limited. The UK based POD site I currently sell through is significantly better IMO. Shame Alamy didn't team up with them instead.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I don't think so. If the DPI goes too low, I get a message "Please select a smaller print size for this image". Which seems sensible.

Mmm.. I'd tended to downsize to be sure of passing Alamy QC, now it seems that may have limited my POD (via Alamy) opportunities...

Mark

I often downsize as well. Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but Alamy faces huge competition from all the POD sites out there. It will be interesting to see how things go...

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

If the DPI goes too low, I get a message "Please select a smaller print size for this image". Which seems sensible.

I don't see that. With a 24MP image, uncropped so 6000 px wide, it seems I can order any of the options, so from 10" right up to 60" wide, for the latter an easily missed message appears saying that "For this size resolution is 100 dpi" but I can still add it to my basket, still pay £199.99 for it should I be foolish enough to do so. I would have expected a warning, an obvious one, way before 100 dpi but I'm not used to POD sites. It may be that it is very much in the beta stage. Still, only two weeks to go.

54 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I don't see that. With a 24MP image, uncropped so 6000 px wide, it seems I can order any of the options, so from 10" right up to 60" wide, for the latter an easily missed message appears saying that "For this size resolution is 100 dpi" but I can still add it to my basket, still pay £199.99 for it should I be foolish enough to do so. I would have expected a warning, an obvious one, way before 100 dpi but I'm not used to POD sites. It may be that it is very much in the beta stage. Still, only two weeks to go.

IME most people tend to order smaller prints thru POD sites. That said, my print sales of any size are now fewer and farther between than ever. Something interesting that I discovered by accident is that a certain large US-based POD site is now using AI to add captions and keywords to uploads if the appropriate fields are left blank. I'm quite impressed with the results. I usually leave the AI-generated captions as they are and end up adding only a few extra keywords of my own. Could Alamy be heading in this direction, I wonder.

Edited by John Mitchell

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

IME most people tend to order smaller prints thru POD sites. That said, my print sales of any size are now fewer and farther between than ever.

Thanks, I don't know anything about POD but was surprised at the seemingly low quality threshold in terms of how wide they were prepared to spread those pixels for 'Photo prints'. The 'Buy a print' option has disappeared for me now so I can't see if that was also true for 'Fine Art'.

9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

For a 60" x 40" inch print I think 100DPI is probably deemed OK because such large prints are typically viewed from further away.

However, the site appears somewhat inconsistent.

For my image 2AEMWT1 the largest "Photo Print" size I can order is 30x20" (which it says is 115DPI).

But for my image 2J8R3BB I can order up to the maximum 60x40" (which it says is only 66DPI)

NB. The links above only work if your Browser displays the POD option (I'm using Brave and I'm not logged in).

Not sure what's going on. Experimental perhaps, but it appears (new?) customers can actually purchase the images.

Even when the message appears "Please select a smaller print size" I can still add it to my basket.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

21 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

NB. The links above only work if your Browser displays the POD option (I'm using Brave and I'm not logged in).

Yes, it doesn't work with a Private Window in Firefox today.

Prices also seem pretty steep. £199 for a 60x40" + £5 postage. The UK POD site I usually use would charge just over 1/2 that for a 60x40" print of an image I supply.

Maybe the other 50% goes in commission to Alamy and us (we can hope).

But... customers could get a much better price by buying the full res image for personal use from Alamy (£9.99 for signed in Customers) and then sending it off for a single 60x40" print elsewhere (for about £100 + postage).

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

48 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

But... customers could get a much better price by buying the full res image for personal use from Alamy

I was thinking that the Buy a Print option would replace Personal Use, wishful thinking perhaps.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I was thinking that the Buy a Print option would replace Personal Use, wishful thinking perhaps.

Maybe. The "Personal use" licence option has disappeared in Brave if not logged in. There's just Standard and Enhanced licences with discounts if buying more than one image.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman