July 2024 Favourite Uploads

A week ago I went into Perth city when it was raining having been inspired by watching street photography videos taken in the rain. However, it didn't rain all that much once I got there but I tried to see what I could do with the reflections off the wet road and that sort of thing. I think I can do much better and want to do it closer to and after sunset with a wide aperture lens. The lighting at that time plus the wet streets can make for some lovely images. So didn't get quite the images I was after but I thoroughly enjoyed walking around the city and capturing scenes.

a-transperth-bus-at-a-bus-stop-on-st-geo

e-scooters-with-helmets-on-the-side-of-t

a-busker-dressed-in-stylish-clothes-tapp

a-man-walking-towards-the-entrance-of-th

a-busker-playing-the-panpipes-in-murray-

a-yellow-sunflower-in-the-urban-orchard-

a-man-walking-in-the-rain-sheltering-und

• Love 4

8 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Are you sure he can actually see you? Or at that distance? They have so many health problems, this could just be one more. Aren't these the dogs with the shortest life span?

wim

That could well be true. I think bulldogs have a hard time because of the way they are bred, especially with their breathing. But it could be that his eyesight may not be the best too. I think bulldogs also have worse eyesight than other breeds.

7 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I agree with Michael. That was an engaging piece of prose Gen. Have you thought of adding short stories to your creative endeavours while travelling in Oz? You would have so many experiences to write about with all the characters you have encountered. And Raff the dog sounds like a great character too, even if a bit boisterous. I hope your knee is ok?!

I like the way you write too Sally.

As a matter of fact, we have just agreed to supply a monthly package of text and photos about our off-road travels to the company which converted our bus to four wheel drive. Their main clients is the mining industry but it opens up a new market for them: individual recreation. We are an ambassador for them, worked on their website in the past.

Then we extensively write and upload photos on a Toyota Coaster group on FB. They adore our stories. They are mainly Coaster owners that stay on tarmac, so they are fascinated by our adventures. We've been static for a while recently while upgrading our solar system and received a plea from the group GET BACK ON THE ROAD!!

Then there is our blog which records all our trips in the last 26 years. We periodically read it back, it makes for fascinating reading even for us. So many incredible memories! What a life we marvel ! Sorry, it's a private blog.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

A week ago I went into Perth city when it was raining having been inspired by watching street photography videos taken in the rain. However, it didn't rain all that much once I got there but I tried to see what I could do with the reflections off the wet road and that sort of thing. I think I can do much better and want to do it closer to and after sunset with a wide aperture lens. The lighting at that time plus the wet streets can make for some lovely images. So didn't get quite the images I was after but I thoroughly enjoyed walking around the city and capturing scenes.

a-transperth-bus-at-a-bus-stop-on-st-geo

e-scooters-with-helmets-on-the-side-of-t

a-busker-dressed-in-stylish-clothes-tapp

a-man-walking-towards-the-entrance-of-th

a-busker-playing-the-panpipes-in-murray-

a-yellow-sunflower-in-the-urban-orchard-

a-man-walking-in-the-rain-sheltering-und

You have a keen eye Sally! Interesting series.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Are you sure he can actually see you? Or at that distance? They have so many health problems, this could just be one more. Aren't these the dogs with the shortest life span?

wim

I don't know if you've noticed but he has one blue eye and one brown eye. I was wondering if it was the beginning of blindness. I think he sees very well, he's just very excitable and a real bulldozer. When we play ball, I worry if he's going to stop in time or knock himself cold against the wall. Very very heavy, like a piglet. My bum is almost as big as his 😆

As for his sense of smell, it's another story. It seems fairly useless. I throw food 20cm from him and he's sniffing all over the place, missing it. He can't breathe properly and pants like a locomotive even when inactive. He's a friendly dog but I can't say he's attractive.

54 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I like the way you write too Sally.

As a matter of fact, we have just agreed to supply a monthly package of text and photos about our off-road travels to the company which converted our bus to four wheel drive. Their main clients is the mining industry but it opens up a new market for them: individual recreation. We are an ambassador for them, worked on their website in the past.

Then we extensively write and upload photos on a Toyota Coaster group on FB. They adore our stories. They are mainly Coaster owners that stay on tarmac, so they are fascinated by our adventures. We've been static for a while recently while upgrading our solar system and received a plea from the group GET BACK ON THE ROAD!!

Then there is our blog which records all our trips in the last 26 years. We periodically read it back, it makes for fascinating reading even for us. So many incredible memories! What a life we marvel ! Sorry, it's a private blog.

Gen, that’s fantastic you are doing that writing and photo package for the company that converted your van, as well as with the Toyota Coaster group and your private blog. The story behind a photo gives it another dimension and I love hearing those stories. You would have a wonderful store of memories. If you ever wanted to publish a book I’m sure you have the material. But of course you may want to just keep putting that energy into more adventures and more photos!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Anderton boat lift eastern elevation from upper level Northwich, Cheshire, 2021

anderton-boat-lift-eastern-elevation-fro

Anderton boat lift eastern elevation from low level Northwich, Cheshire, 2021

anderton-boat-lift-eastern-elevation-fro

Canal boat leaving Anderton boat lift caisson onto river Weaver Northwich, Cheshire, 2021

canal-boat-leaving-anderton-boat-lift-ca

Canal boat entering low level lift Anderton boat lift, Northwich, Cheshire, 2021

canal-boat-entering-low-level-lift-ander

Anderton boat lift southern elevation from lower level Northwich Cheshire 2021

anderton-boat-lift-southern-elevation-fr

Allan

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Continuing with "firsts" for me underwater. Top is a Halimeda crab, the first one seen in 45 years of diving, an amazing little creature.
halimeda-crab-huenia-heraldica-a-species

This orange jawfish lives in a burrow in the shallows at one of my favourite dive sites near Tulamben, Bali. Just the head shows out of the burrow. Yet sometimes I can't find the burrow, sometimes I find it, blink and then can't see it. I never knew why. Last trip, I was taking a couple of shots, and suddenly the fish popped up from the burrow, grabbed a nearby rock and disappeared down the burrow, leaving the rock on top. It happened in a second. A few dives later, after waiting for a long time, I was able to get this photo of the fish picking up the rock.

variable-jawfish-opistognathus-variabili

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Early Saturday morning my neighbour knocked on our door and gave me this loaf of sourdough bread from a batch she had just baked. I’ve never tried home baked sourdough, what a treat. The other images are some Mint Aero Brownies l baked with my granddaughter after trying one in a local cafe. Our new favourite Brownie 😋

uk-a-loaf-of-freshly-baked-homemade-trad

uk-a-baker-holds-two-halves-of-a-freshly

a-batch-of-freshly-baked-homemade-mint-a

• Love 4

Annual Mallow pink flower in full bloom

annual-mallow-pink-flower-in-full-bloom-

Diversion road closed, access only, High Street, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

diversion-road-closed-access-only-high-s

Indian pokeweed growing in garden 

indian-pokeweed-growing-in-garden-2XMGJT

Allan

• Love 1

Just two more images from me for the month of July. They are both quite stark architectural images. The first image is the modernist 1960s architecture of the Fremantle Port Authority building that opened in 1964. The second is of nearby warehouses that I decided worked best in monochrome.

the-fremantle-port-authority-administrat

a-black-and-white-image-of-corrugated-me

• Love 1
  • Like 3

books of Royal Mail postage stamps

books-of-raoyal-mail-postage-stamps-2XN0

Openreach engineer working in phone junction box, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

openreach-engineer-working-in-phone-junc

White rose with red outer petals 

white-rose-with-red-outer-petals-2XN0AFX

Allan

• Like 1

Royal mail postage stamps 

royal-mail-postage-stamps-2XNEEJB.jpg

Red Geranium

red-geranium-2XNEEJ7.jpg

SONY A6500 camera with 18-135 zoom lens

sony-a6500-camera-with-18-135-zoom-lens-

Stop watch