are stock photo freelancers allowed to organize for some issues?

are freelancers allowed to organize for some issues?

specifically, for demanding photo credit?
I just saw report of my photo usage by BBC;
(thanks for reporting Tony ALS)
No photo credit given to me !!
We all deserve it if we want it, IMO.
Is this a general BBC policy?  Why?
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Trying to organize any group of freelance photographers would be like trying to herd cats.

• Love 1

Within the 1988 copyright act you can assert your right to be identified as the author of a work. This applies to a variety of artists and includes photographers. UK publishers and media transmitters are not consistent with compliance but probably better than in the past. A little better in the US I find. If you are pursuing an infringer you can claim more if credit is omitted. It is almost always omitted.

19 minutes ago, Robert M Estall said:

Within the 1988 copyright act you can assert your right to be identified as the author of a work. This applies to a variety of artists and includes photographers. UK publishers and media transmitters are not consistent with compliance but probably better than in the past. A little better in the US I find. If you are pursuing an infringer you can claim more if credit is omitted. It is almost always omitted.

Unfortunately the Alamy contract includes a waiver of credit, but otherwise lack of attribution is a copyright infringement in its own right. I've collected a settlement for an image copied from Wikipedia- the copier would have been home free under the CC licence if he'd given credit.

On 04/06/2024 at 16:03, Avpics said:

As long as they pay me I'm not bothered.

are ye bothered by ~10% less profit in ye pocket?
I have evidence over time that my credit line adds
~10% to me sales via buyers seeing me published
& then licensing it or a "similar" to it soon after...
be ye bothered mate, be ye bothered...

On 04/06/2024 at 20:31, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
are freelancers allowed to organize for some issues?

specifically, for demanding photo credit?
I just saw report of my photo usage by BBC;
(thanks for reporting Tony ALS)
No photo credit given to me !!
We all deserve it if we want it, IMO.
Is this a general BBC policy?  Why?

Haha! Seriously Jeff? I’m on the BBC (all BBC channels in the UK and overseas), and just about any TV channel you can name in the world virtually 365 days a year. The last thing I want is a credit. How is it going to be of any advantage in any kind of way? Probably none at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Gervais Montacute said:

Haha! Seriously Jeff? I’m on the BBC (all BBC channels in the UK and overseas), and just about any TV channel you can name in the world virtually 365 days a year. The last thing I want is a credit. How is it going to be of any advantage in any kind of way? Probably none at all. 

Do you mean you are watching all the BBC channels and ANY TV channel we can name in the world 365 days a year? Apparently, you are quite busy, man. Lucky you, to have this spare time!!!

• Like 1

I hardly watch any TV at all. I’m also retired and apparently have a lot of spare time. No one in the TV and film licensing game cares about credits. They care about what it pays. If they care about getting a credit then they’re in the wrong business. A licence in any form is just that. Just another licence.