Sir Elton John's favorite art form is modernist black & white photography

• Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg changed the title to Sir Elton John's favorite art form is modernist black & white photography
14 hours ago, Marianne said:

Black and white photography is my absolute favorite and he collected some of the greats. Thanks for sharing this. 

Back in the late 70's early 80's I was developing and printing my own black and white film and prints. Decent darkroom with enlarger and all ancillaries.

I did try colour but preferred B&W.

Have not really done any mono since digital came in but wonder about trying it again.

Is there any call for mono images from Alamy as I think of mono as wall art or maybe books.

Any one on the forums licence mono through Alamy?

Allan

Sorry to butt in Jeff.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

I have licensed 3 monos, all portraits and all PU/Presentation.

I only have 5 monos in my port, so I'm happy with 3 out of 5.

The other 2 are a landscape and a bird.

2A86XPA.jpg

2B65DR4.jpg

2B65DPW.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Long long ago. I had the privilege of observing W. Eugene Smith make a print. I knew him from playing at his jazz nights and my friend Harvey Zucker was taking a darkroom class with him. For the first 10 years of my photography career, I shot almost entirely B&W until I got involved with travel market. I'm sorry if I'm retelling this story. 🤔

• Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Long long ago. I had the privilege of observing W. Eugene Smith make a print. I knew him from playing at his jazz nights and my friend Harvey Zucker was taking a darkroom class with him. For the first 10 years of my photography career, I shot almost entirely B&W until I got involved with travel market. I'm sorry if I'm retelling this story. 🤔

Your stories never get old or repetitive.  

• Like 2

With B&W, I usually shot Tri-X but developed it in Acufine. The Kodak developer, D76, gave clumpy unpleasant grain. Acufine produced a tight even grain and allowed a normal ASA of 1,000. I loved that look. Digital B&W is pointless, I think. Elton John's collection looks great.

On 13/01/2024 at 03:20, Ed Rooney said:

With B&W, I usually shot Tri-X but developed it in Acufine. The Kodak developer, D76, gave clumpy unpleasant grain. Acufine produced a tight even grain and allowed a normal ASA of 1,000. I loved that look. Digital B&W is pointless, I think. Elton John's collection looks great.

I process my digital B&W slowly and carefully using Nik Silver Efex and I have a printer in Kansas who uses Ilford ILFORD Black and White Silver Gelatin Photographic Paper and I gotta say, they are gorgeous. At least twice at ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) Fine Art Portfolio reviews (in person- pre-Covid), when I showed my digital black and white images printed on the Ilford Paper (and painstakingly processed by me beforehand) a couple of reviewers (both NYC Gallerists of a certain age), remarked, "wow, you're shooting film!" or words to that effect. You should try it. I'm sure there are labs near you given that Ilford is a UK company. In fact, here's one: https://harmanlab.com/collections/digital-silver-black-and-white-prints,

I appreciate your old-school leanings, and share them. I shot on film until shortly before I turned 50. I learned photography in a traditional darkroom in high school and college in the 1970's- then worked on a suburban newspaper in 1980-81 before law school. Tri-X for the newspapers, Pan-X or Ilford film for my artsy prints. In the late 1980s, while practicing law, I took 3 or 4 classes at ICP (International Center of Photography) so I made a lot of black and white prints and exhibited film prints through the 1990's. 

I've also used a special Ilford Black and White Paper on my own Canon Pixma pigment printer and the results are pretty great but it's not a traditional wet process like the lab. For color I generally choose digital C-Prints. I did color photography in college too (using Ektachrome slides). So, I get that love for the pre-digital feel. I was working for a few magazines and newspapers in the early 2000's running around to labs all over Westchester (different publishing groups) to drop off my film. They also took digital but I didn't trust the quality until I got my first D70 in 2006. 

Paper and processing make all the difference. I didn't have my own darkroom so I don't know what chemicals I used - in high school I believe they used Ilford. I always used Ilford paper for black and white (film) and often Ilford film, though I was also a big fan of the fine grain I got with Kodak Pan-X .

Anyway, you should really try using Silver Efex and get some prints from the Harmon Lab. You could be nicely surprised. 

• Like 1