RX10 or Nex ?

Hi all

I know this has just about been done to death and have been trawling through old posts but am still in a bit of a dilema.

My old 5D mk 1 has now driven me to the brink with its dust spot issues. It is slowing me down way way too much with editing as I have become super super paranoid. I will be keeping hold of my trusty 20D as believe it or not it is still serving me well, plus I have too many lenses to get rid altogether!

So I am torn between getting a Nex 6 or now an RX10. Most of my needs will be pretty basic, some at home shots and then 'street/travel' stuff. I don't anticipate much need to fast moving subjects and my 20D still serves me well for any macro. Plus I do not want too much weight. I would like the freedom of not having too much weight or equipment (as do most of us now it seems), and low light if poss, my 5D is awful for noise once I start bumping the ISO too much, I mean above about 400! So I feel I am missing lots of opportunities. I should also add I do not currently sell other than via Alamy so not with FAA or the like at the moment.

I see with the Nex 6 decent lenses bump the price up quite a bit hence wondering about the RX10. Would be interested to hear views esp if you either have or have used both. OR something else that will not take me over 1K (sterling) but serve as well or better.

Thanks and sorry for the seemingly endlessly repeated subject matter.

Hi George

I can't help on choice but...

I have just picked up a Nex 5n with an 18-55 and a tiny but useful flash.

Image quality is good and there is much to like about the Nex's, but I have big hands and it makes using it fiddly and frustrating :-(

I would suggest that you try before you buy.

I shall be selling the Nex, somewhat regretfully

As an ex Canon man myself I wonder if you have thought about or looked at the Canon M. Can be used with your existing lenses with an adaptor.

Allan

Hi Mark

thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I think its unlikely I will get the opportunity to try before buying as live in Portugal. I have spent hours and hours looking a previous posts and online reviews and have just cooked my little brain! I just been looking at the RX100 reviews too and now that one is a potential in the mix. AAAAAArrrrhhhh, I know you went through a similar choice scenario recently, what a pain! I sometimes wish we never had digital and all its choices!!!!!! Thanks again for you input, I guess I can take the 5 off the list as don't need fiddly or frustrating.

Hi Both

As  I understand it there are some very good deals to be had with Jessops on the Canon M as they were not selling, the M2 is now out.

I did consider a Canon M for use with my "L" lenses but if I am carting the lenses about a 5D boddy does not add that much.

My next move will be to track down a Fuji X100 to play with. If I win the lottery this weekend though........

Hi Mark

Yes you and me both, we could share the millions :)

Allan

I have been looking at the reviews for the M and am impressed so far.  It seems the pancake lens would do for most walk around stuff or I could always carry my 85mm fixed, thats not too big or heavy. But I do like the option of being able to utilise all of my other lenses if needs be.  My main beef with the 5D to be honest is the dust, I am spending way way way too long editing, I don't even want to admit how long, just to be sure of no dust issues. Plus we have a motorhome now and at least I could take the camera out and about with me easily and not worry about either carry a heavy bag full of equipment or even more worry, leaving it in the van. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, something else to ponder.

I own both the Sony RX10 and the NEX-6 . . . and also the NEX-7 and NEX-3. These are all great cameras

Understand that none of these cameras are pocket cameras. The RX100 and 100 II lead the way there. I was not looking for a true pocketable camera; I wanted a light-weight, high-quality camera with a viewfinder. If you are seriously concerned with dust, the answer would be the RX10, because the lens is not removable. I do not normally worry about dust. My workflow involved blowing every image up to 100% and viewing every inch from top left to bottom right. I do any and all spotting at this point. Since I think of my images as Romantic Realism, I also remove many cigarette buts or candy wrappers. I have never had a dust problem, not even with my Nikon DSLRs. I have been shooting at ISO800 and 1600 with no problems.

This image here was short at 3200, worked on in LR5, and shows a very limited DoF. But it passed QC. 

This awful winter has not permitted me to do a lot of shooting with my new RX10 yet, but ask any questions you want. 

DP8F2G.jpg

thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I think its unlikely I will get the opportunity to try before buying as live in Portugal. I have spent hours and hours looking a previous posts and online reviews and have just cooked my little brain! I just been looking at the RX100 reviews too and now that one is a potential in the mix. AAAAAArrrrhhhh, I know you went through a similar choice scenario recently, what a pain! I sometimes wish we never had digital and all its choices!!!!!! Thanks again for you input, I guess I can take the 5 off the list as don't need fiddly or frustrating.

I totally understand the fried brain effect.

I would look at the cameras very carefully for the layout of the controls even if only from pictures of the cameras. The smaller sizes of the cameras makes the handling a big issue.

Hi Both

As  I understand it there are some very good deals to be had with Jessops on the Canon M as they were not selling, the M2 is now out.

I did consider a Canon M for use with my "L" lenses but if I am carting the lenses about a 5D boddy does not add that much.

My next move will be to track down a Fuji X100 to play with. If I win the lottery this weekend though........

Hi Both

Mark you may want to consider the X100S. That model has the same sensor as the E-X2 which I am using now as my main camera system. So far seems to be a great improvement over the earlier sensor.

Also I've heard that there are no plans to release the Canon MkII M model in Europe just yet. (that includes the UK).

Allan

Mostly, I can get used to handling different cameras easily. Sure it's a pain but for a short time. One thing that continued to drive me mad was when I was shooting film with Nikon SLRs and Leica Ms. These cameras focus towards infinity in the opposite direction. 

Hi Ed

> Mostly, I can get used to handling different cameras easily.

I am finding that when ever I pick up the nex the pad of the thumb hits the control wheel and I am have to reset things.

Today I found it better if I pull out the screen then hold the nex against my chest and use it a bit the my old waist level finder blads. This also

changes my hand grip so that I miss accidently changing things, it also means that the camera is steadier and that my thumb can be

used to fire the shutter.

Am I still on topic George?

I agree that handling a CSC can feel a bit awkward after using a larger body model. Handling the Fuji X-E2 is still a tad awkward at times and I forget where certain buttons are but it is getting better with use. I found the addition of an auxillary handgrip to be of great benefit.

Allan

Mostly, I can get used to handling different cameras easily. Sure it's a pain but for a short time. One thing that continued to drive me mad was when I was shooting film with Nikon SLRs and Leica Ms. These cameras focus towards infinity in the opposite direction. 

Ditto Canon Fuji. That might be another factor that George may wish to consider.

Allan

I can't speak for the RX10 because I haven't used one. However, I did recently start using the NEX-6 and so far I find it to be a real winner. There are some great deals on the NEX-6 right now. I ended up paying only $500 for the body (I already had e-mount lenses) at a Sony store here in Vancouver. Sony has a nasty habit of discontinuing cameras without notice, so don't wait too long if you decide to go with this camera. No dust problems yet BTW. The self-cleaning sensor seems to work extremely well.  

If you are seriously concerned with dust, the answer would be the RX10, because the lens is not removable. I do not normally worry about dust. My workflow involved blowing every image up to 100% and viewing every inch from top left to bottom right. I do any and all spotting at this point.

Hi Ed, to be honest its only with the 5D MK1 I have the dust problems, my good old 20D is not an issue (touch wood), my workflow is the same, but with additional work to seek out all the small bunnies that are lurking.  Really it could do with being cleaned every few months but its 150 miles away for the closest place and then the cost, so with travel etc its a pretty expensive problem. But then if I work out how much my man hours are working on the images on top of that............. well, it just has to go. I do like the look and reviews of the RX10, but they seem quite costly, and some images I have seen on some reviews to be honest have not been that great at higher ISO's, but maybe thats purely down to the photographer??? Its a difficult one this one. Let us know once you have given your RX10 a thorough work out so to speak, I'd be more than interested to hear.

I can't speak for the RX10 because I haven't used one. However, I did recently start using the NEX-6 and so far I find it to be a real winner. There are some great deals on the NEX-6 right now. I ended up paying only $500 for the body (I already had e-mount lenses) at a Sony store here in Vancouver. Sony has a nasty habit of discontinuing cameras without notice, so don't wait too long if you decide to go with this camera. No dust problems yet BTW. The self-cleaning sensor seems to work extremely well.  

Hi John, $500 seems a good price, I have not seen anything like that in sterling. I suppose its the additional cost of the lenses for me as all of mine are Canons. To get a couple of good lenses I wonder how much more it would be? That would tip me well over the £1,000 mark I guess and I am thinking alot more to get very good lenses.

Cant speak for the RX10, haven't used one, but I can strongly recommend the NEX 5N and NEX 6 when coupled with the 3 Sigma lenses. Also, the Zeiss 24 is extremely good. I have used both up to ISO1600 with no problems, beyond that I find them a bit hit and miss, although that said, I have gone to 3200 and had useable pictures.

Fuji X100 is also extremely good up to ISO3200. Fixed lens but the wide converter does not degrade the image and gives the camera a little more flexibility.

If I could have only one of the three I would go for the X100. It only has 12MP but the IQ in my opinion is better than the 16MP NEX. Depends whether you need interchangeable lens facility I guess.

Just my experience for what it is worth

Hi John, $500 seems a good price, I have not seen anything like that in sterling. I suppose its the additional cost of the lenses for me as all of mine are Canons. To get a couple of good lenses I wonder how much more it would be? That would tip me well over the £1,000 mark I guess and I am thinking alot more to get very good lenses.

Yes, I got a particularly good deal. I originally paid $550 on "Black Friday," and the price dropped another $50 at Xmas. So I hurried back to the Sony store with receipt in hand and they took another $50 off. Also, equipment seems considerably cheaper on this side of the pond.

I'm on a very tight budget and am currently using a trio of Sony e-mount lenses with the NEX-6, the 16mm, 18-55mm, and 55-210mm. I find that I can get  good results with these lenses if I'm careful. If I won the lottery, I would check out some of the pricey Zeiss offerings. But for the time being I'm happy enough with the Sony's. I guess the nice thing about the RX10 is that you get the high quality, fast Zeiss zoom. The sensor is smaller, though, but that doesn't sound like it's a problem.

Hi John (again), I take back what I said about the price, I see its around £539 body only in the UK so not as much as I thought. So toting up lenses would be the thing to do.

Hi Richard, thanks for the info, another to look at which I had not considered.

Has anyone out there actually used the Canon M?

Hi John (again), I take back what I said about the price, I see its around £539 body only in the UK so not as much as I thought. So toting up lenses would be the thing to do.

Hi Richard, thanks for the info, another to look at which I had not considered.

Has anyone out there actually used the Canon M?

Yikes! That's almost CAN $1000. 

I believe that the RX is a fixed lens camera as opposed to the NEX which is obviously a system camera. My experience is only with the Canon G9, another fixed lens semi compact, with which I have never been happy. IMVHO a fixed lens has the inherent problems of:

1. not having a filter thread and therefore no UV protection filter can be used and should the lens be scratched or worse the whole camera must be replaced.
  2. there is no way of getting access to the sensor should cleaning be necessary.

I would suggest that a system camera such as the NEX6, or even the Alpha a5000 NEX3 replacement, would not suffer from the above potential problems.

Just my experience and others may be happy with the compromise.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Archived