No Zooms??

Aggers

Question

14 answers to this question

Hmmm, I'm no expert at this and with a smaller port I have had over 3000 views

Are you sure you have put the dates in correctly and remembered to click the 'Go' button?

Another contributor on here (Wim) had a kind of scale where he suggested no views generally meant poor keywords or captions.

No zooms meant that when viewed the images just didnt hit the spot with the buyer so technique or processing maybe the issue.

Can't see much of a problem with yours however (the caveat as I said previously is that I am no expert 😁)

Edited by Martin L
Added

1 hour ago, Aggers said:

My image views Sept - Nov is 259  but no zooms in that period?  First time a three month consecutive run without any zooms at all. Anyone with the same or is it just me (probably!).

Hello, are you open to the forums comments on your captions and keywords??

Cheers.

In my opinion, your low number of views (and consequently also zooms) is due to inadequate captions and too many irrelevant keywords.

A few examples - your rugby images on page 2. You have short captions like: Italians celebrating their win over Wales. You need a complete caption, something like: The Italian rugby union team winning against Wales at the Principality Stadium Cardiff Wales in the Six Nations Championship on 19 March 2022. You have only put the date in the optional section, which is non-searchable. Keywords like unforseen and crestfallen are probably not helpful - don't try to put 50 keywords, just the relevant ones.

The cycling event pictures - you have included the date in the caption, but it is wrong! It can't be 70.3.2022! Make sure you include the most relevant words in the caption and keywords, for example include Wales and UK in both, not just Gower Swansea.

The Harley Street images - you should add London, England, UK to the captions.

In general, put the important words in both the caption and keywords. Remember the optional fields like Date Taken and Location are non-searchable by buyers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aggers said:

My image views Sept - Nov is 259  but no zooms in that period?  First time a three month consecutive run without any zooms at all. Anyone with the same or is it just me (probably!).

During October I had 2499 views and 8 zooms. All zooms were achieved in the first 13 days of the month and none for the rest of the month. In summary views were up around 25% whilst zooms were down around 50%. Result - higher views and lower zooms = tumble in CTR.

Nothing seems consistent these days! Bit like a roller coaster!

Jim.

Many thanks everyone for the useful information all makes a lot of sense.  I'll now spend time(??) checking on captions and keywording as suggested and make amendments, deletions, additions etc and see if that helps.

Just looking back at your comments I see that Dates and Places are not viewable - I assumed they were.  All tips noted with thanks.

6 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Hello, are you open to the forums comments on your captions and keywords??

Cheers.

That would be great, anything to get those Zooms going up!   Cheers

On 02/12/2023 at 11:11, VbFolly said:

In my opinion, your low number of views (and consequently also zooms) is due to inadequate captions and too many irrelevant keywords.

A few examples - your rugby images on page 2. You have short captions like: Italians celebrating their win over Wales. You need a complete caption, something like: The Italian rugby union team winning against Wales at the Principality Stadium Cardiff Wales in the Six Nations Championship on 19 March 2022. You have only put the date in the optional section, which is non-searchable. Keywords like unforseen and crestfallen are probably not helpful - don't try to put 50 keywords, just the relevant ones.

The cycling event pictures - you have included the date in the caption, but it is wrong! It can't be 70.3.2022! Make sure you include the most relevant words in the caption and keywords, for example include Wales and UK in both, not just Gower Swansea.

The Harley Street images - you should add London, England, UK to the captions.

In general, put the important words in both the caption and keywords. Remember the optional fields like Date Taken and Location are non-searchable by buyers.

Thanks for the advice and all taken onboard. 

Now having a more detailed look at my submissions and making recommended changes from all responses (will take a while!!).

In mitigation, regarding Date and Location, I thought these were covered in the Options Section where other info is included and assumed this would be sufficient. 

I didn't realise they needed to be included in the Captions section also (Date Taken and Location are non-searchable by buyers)- why bother with the Option input if the info is irrelevant, or does Alamy use the info for their data?

Edited by Aggers
typo error

I'm pretty sure I'm correct in thinking that the Date Taken and Location is non-searchable. I always consider the Caption and Keywords to be the most important thing to fill in.

When a buyer finds an image of interest, then they can click on it and see the Optional field information such as location and date taken, if they are interested.

Buyers can also use filters for UK, US, Europe or Australia when searching, so it's good to include those if appropriate. I'm not sure if the Location field information is used for that, so I usually put UK in caption, keywords and location field to be on the safe side.

Please note, it's not necessary to include dates or locations for every image, but when photographing events such as your sports images I think it's good to include this information. The date is not really needed for images of plants and wildlife for example. 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response, that clears up the enigma of date and location use.  Agree your final sentence, I have already adopted the when and where the dates are more useful.  Started on my revisions already and made obvious changes based on the comments (yours included).  It will be a long haul so hope it makes a difference at some point.  Something to do during this cold weather!  Thanks again for your input.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggers said:

Thanks for the response, that clears up the enigma of date and location use.  Agree your final sentence, I have already adopted the when and where the dates are more useful.  Started on my revisions already and made obvious changes based on the comments (yours included).  It will be a long haul so hope it makes a difference at some point.  Something to do during this cold weather!  Thanks again for your input.

Dave

You're welcome. Good luck!