Image ID Search Help

I did a test on my small pseudonym.
All 66 images show when I’m logged in.
Only 63 show when I’m not logged in.

The three that don’t show are two pictures of a five bar gate and a picture of an old willow tree.
These three are from the same upload, but other images from that same upload do show.

I don’t think it’s to do with keywords or captions or with censorship by the browsers.

When I’m not logged in and I search for one of the images by image-id, what I get in return is a screen from the Alamy system saying…

Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term
•    It’s possible that we don’t have any imagery, but check your spelling or try changing your keywords
•    If you’ve searched using an image ID, it might be that the image is not available for sale in your country or it has been removed from the collection and is no longer for sale

My guess is that the second part of this message is the key.
The Alamy search CAN find the image for a logged in user, but says it CAN’T find it when the user is not logged in,

suggesting to me that something went wrong at the time the image was stored.

The Alamy search engine is thinking… “ I can findthe image but  …you’re not logged-in so this image is not available for sale in your country.”

A way to test this might be to resubmit one of the images that are currently not being found.  

If the image storage fault is an intermittent one, there's a chance the new upload of the image will go ahead normally and it will be visible to both logged-in and logged-out users.

Or Alamy IT could take a close look at one of the images suggested in this thread to see if there are any flags set on the image that might prevent it from being shown to a not-logged-in user.

GD

(retired software tester) (!)

3 hours ago, Gorilla Dave said:

Or Alamy IT could take a close look at one of the images suggested in this thread to see if there are any flags set on the image that might prevent it from being shown to a not-logged-in user.

I think that's going to be the key if they consider it worth their time. It's interesting what you say but I don't think that it explains the mysterious 'Sotwell Incident'. In that case searching for 'sotwell' brings up 92 images from a variety of different contributors and obviously uploaded at different times. Six of them are mine but they are from two different batches. Logged out then only one comes up, the map section. Also 'sotwell' is to me at least without any possible age-sensitive, or indeed region-sensitive connotations so I agree that it doesn't really fit into the narrative about possible sensitivities. It's a mystery.

Edit:

Mind you I don't think that 'sotwell' has any existence apart from being part of the village name 'Brightwell cum Sotwell' so that brings us back to Michael's theory, I think that all those images relate to that village.

What I wonder is the difference with the map section image:

www.alamy.com/2GERNHF

Bingo, they call the village just 'sotwell', the contentious 3 letter word between Brightwell & Sotwell is missing.

So if they are going to all this trouble how come it doesn't matter if you use Edge? Could it be filtered by the browsers themselves, is that even possible?

Edited by Harry Harrison

Did some testing yesterday and after the database update I can confirm it's the keywords. So identifying the culprit and removing that keyword is enough.

No results yet on the image content.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Did some testing yesterday and after the database update I can confirm it's the keywords. So identifying the culprit and removing that keyword is enough.

No results yet on the image content.

wim

Thanks Wim, difficult to remove the name of an entire village though I suppose I could just call it Brightwell Sotwell, bonkers really. I read your Wiki link, I don't understand it enough to say whether it is Alamy who are doing this. Clearly I can search for these trigger words on the internet as a whole so I suppose it must be, but why not with Edge?

At least I know what the Scunthorpe problem is now, that was new to me.

19 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks Wim, difficult to remove the name of an entire village though I suppose I could just call it Brightwell Sotwell, bonkers really. I read your Wiki link, I don't understand it enough to say whether it is Alamy who are doing this. Clearly I can search for these trigger words on the internet as a whole so I suppose it must be, but why not with Edge?

At least I know what the Scunthorpe problem is now, that was new to me.

AFAIK having the word in description is no problem. Which is weird.

Check AoA if clients ever search for the offending term. In my test image it was the word shitting in the keywords. It's still in the description.

wim

edit: found this online. There will be more I'm sure.

Edited by wiskerke

37 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

AFAIK having the word in description is no problem.

Right, I've removed the full name of the village as a keyword, I'll check tomorrow, added Brightwell and Sotwell separately but I doubt anyone searches for those names on their own.

Edited by Harry Harrison

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

That's because AE3NWP is a keyword in AE56WJ. Which image is not censored out. Why is a tango orchestra verboten? No idea. The female violinist? The suggestive lights?

The dark trees have scary as a keyword. The plush willy is obvious, but it could be it's not those words, but rather proud gay man. It's not pride, because some pride images are being shown. What baffles me most is the toy cab. One passes and one fails. The censored one has the keyword sad-faced. That could be it.

The keywords are very similar for both images, but these are the extra keywords in the one that does not show up:

accident
accidental
bender
blemish
blemished
blemishes
bumper
crash
damage
damaged
dent
looking
looks
mark
paint
sad-faced
scratch
scratched
scruffy
used
well
worn

Beats me.

I notice my images came without a link. Let me see if I can fix that. (So if anyone wants to look for offending keywords he/she can have a go at it.)

wim

"bender" old slang for gay person in UK? maybe considered offensive?

2 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Ah right. Thank you! I'll test it.

wim

edit: done; will report back tomorrow.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

So identifying the culprit and removing that keyword is enough.

One of the major reason I keep with Alamy is the flexibility of working with keywords and captions. In other places (including the one where I experience the same disappearing images if not logged-in) the captioning and keywording is performed by staff, which supposedly should make contributor's life easier and keywording stronger, but certainly it is not (and moreover, they do not update the obsolete scientific names). I can just do nothing with my images rather then look at them... and cry 😥

Amsterdam Pride

logged in:        6697
logged out:     1992

missing:          4705 = 70.26%

gay pride

logged in:       248180
logged out:       70547

missing:          177633 = 71.57%

Who is this to please? And why let so many through?

The percentage is remarkably consistent.

wim

https://c7.alamy.com/thumbs/3/3588e7a5-53c5-4353-baf6-3585de9c3d97/AM5JPB.jpg

Morris Minor Woody

logged in:     114
logged out:   0

Morris Minor

logged in:     5,670
logged out:   0

That filter needs a shrink.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
image added

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

That filter needs a shrink.

This might be a diversion but if you search for 'minor' when logged out you just get 266 images, when logged in you get 861,488

These 266 images are all from a number of hearings at the US Capitol from a particular agency (well I haven't checked them all but it looks that way), as far as I can see 'minor' doesn't appear in the caption or keywords, only 'minority' but Alamy doesn't do stemming?

Edited by Harry Harrison

For me removing 'Brightwell cum Sotwell' as a keyword wasn't enough to allow an  image to appear when not logged in, it looks like it has to go from the caption as well. It did allow 3 images to now be found when 'Brightwell-cum-Sotwell' had only been in the keywords but not in the caption (it was the nearest place of habitation to the location).

Google has no such scruples when finding Alamy images of that village.

Edited by Harry Harrison

In my 'Sotwell' example I'm not searching using the offending word, it's just that the caption or keywords of the image contain the offending word and so they are blocked unless the user is not logged in. The same goes for 'minor', Morris Traveller comes up with 181 images if you are not logged in but 668 if logged in. The difference is that the missing images have 'Morris Minor' in the caption or keywords.

I'm not really suggesting that this 'feature'  is going to have a major impact on sales (though it could have for potential buyers casually searching to buy images of Brightwell cum Sotwell, or Morris Minors!).

No really I'm just trying to understand what on earth is the point of it and why have the IT Team not been able to explain it to us, they must know about it surely. Perhaps they're too embarrassed, I've embarrassed myself just testing for it, what is wrong with Gorilla Dave's 'five-bar gate' images for example, I dread to think.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

In my 'Sotwell' example I'm not searching using the offending word, it's just that the caption or keywords of the image contain the offending word and so they are blocked unless the user is not logged in. The same goes for 'minor', Morris Traveller comes up with 181 images if you are not logged in but 668 if logged in. The difference is that the missing images have 'Morris Minor' in the caption or keywords.

I'm not really suggesting that this 'feature'  is going to have a major impact on sales (though it could have for potential buyers casually searching to buy images of Brightwell cum Sotwell, or Morris Minors!).

No really I'm just trying to understand what on earth is the point of it and why have the IT Team not been able to explain it to us, they must know about it surely. Perhaps they're too embarrassed, I've embarrassed myself just testing for it, what is wrong with Gorilla Dave's 'five-bar gate' images for example, I dread to think.

Just a minor impact then.

Sorry couldn't resist.

The caption is traveling with(in) the files, just as the keywords are in the IPTC fields. In most cases anyway. Whereas the description is only present on the zoom page on Alamy.

The more words that are socially undesirable, the more slang words and street talk we're getting. That's a simple law, I would say of nature.

See words like bent and woody from this thread alone.

wim

Am curious. Most of us have "Alamy portfolio page" which we can share with anybody, presumably including people who do not have Alamy account. So, if get to this portfolio page logged out, can one still see and search all images, or some would be missing? I cannot check on my port because I do not know which mine are not shown in logged-out searches.

1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

So, if get to this portfolio page logged out, can one still see and search all images

I might try that, I've just created a lightbox of these Sotwell images and you don't need to be logged in to see them but maybe that is because you, as an account holder,  have made the decision to share them. It's a different matter I suppose if someone not logged in to Alamy or without an account at all should accidentally stumble across a picture of a Morris Minor Traveller.

23 hours ago, StokeCreative said:

23 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Ah right. Thank you! I'll test it.

wim

edit: done; will report back tomorrow.

Removing bender did not fix it. Not on it's own anyway. Maybe wait another 24 hours to be sure.

Now I'm looking into keywords for Miffy (the rabbit doll). I've removed the word bunny.

Then there are 2 images of The White House; and many of my Gay Pride Amsterdam Canal Parade images.

Some image with a string of pearls. My guess is it's the word string.

wim

22 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

can one still see and search all images

I suppose this could be classed as an anomaly but if you are not logged in and you do a search on Alamy and find one of your own images as a result then clicking on your name (or pseudo) seems to bring up all the images, including those excluded. It seems to be only when you do a search that these exclusions are applied. I suspect that your portfolio pages would therefore be unaffected.

18 hours ago, wiskerke said:

My guess is it's the word string.

Some do seem baffling, certainly Gorilla Dave's five bar gate and willow tree, and since Allan shared his 2M7MDWK I don't see anything obvious here:

Cosy Club sign over doorway at night, Lincoln 2022

cosy club sign over doorway at night
fancy logo
illuminated sign
lincoln 2022
logo
red leaves
reflections in glass
wheat ears

Oh, wait though, 'fancy'. 630418 logged in, 549,166 logged out.

With Rico's carnival images then 'cleavage' is probably enough for the naughty step but I haven't checked.

Edited by Harry Harrison

My test result of today:

Check an image that does not appear when you're logged out.

Now open the same image in AIM.

Compare the keywords.

My guess is that the offending keyword or phrase is not present in the keywords shown on the zoom page.

One word in a phrase seems to dismiss the other words in the phrase. So be careful with grouping (unrelated) words as a key phrase.

My other result is not a test result, but a quicker way of finding offending/missing images:

First start with a search, filtering for one of your pseudos, while logged in and while logged out.

Note the amount of results. If the numbers are identical, all images in that pseudo are cleared.

If there are images not being shown while logged out:

Find a keyword that yields a reasonable amount of images in that pseudo.

Do a search for that keyword while logged in and while logged out. Both with the pseudo name in the Contributor: filter.

Note the amount of results. If the numbers are identical, all images are cleared.

If there's a difference, open Alamy in two windows. I even use two browsers. One while logged in; one logged out.

Compare the pages. It works best on two monitors the same size next to each other, or two windows on a very wide monitor.

This is much quicker than trawling through all one's images, even by pseudo.

wim

edit: prepositional idiom https://tweakers.net/g/s/bonk.gif

Edited by wiskerke

6 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Some do seem baffling, certainly Gorilla Dave's five bar gate and willow tree, and since Allan shared his 2M7MDWK I don't see anything obvious here:

Cosy Club sign over doorway at night, Lincoln 2022

cosy club sign over doorway at night
fancy logo
illuminated sign
lincoln 2022
logo
red leaves
reflections in glass
wheat ears

Oh, wait though, 'fancy'. 630418 logged in, 549,166 logged out.

With Rico's carnival images then 'cleavage' is probably enough for the naughty step but I haven't checked.

Thanks for running 2M7MDWK again Harry and finding the culprit. I will remove "Fancy" and see what happens.

Allan

Just realised I have a second image of Cosy Club taken later 2R603WE which does not have "fancy" in the caption or keywords.

Ran that one both logged in and logged out and it appeared in both occasions. That confirms your finding I believe.

I am going to remove "fancy" from the original image.

ITMA

I have removed "fancy" but will have to wait till Alamy's updated their system.   HOWEVER There is another key word phrase with 2M7MDWK and that is "Relaxed dining and drinking with a touch of timeless glamour".

It could be "glamour" is the culprit. We shall find out tomorrow.

ITMAA

• Relaxed dining and drinking with a touch of timeless glamour
  • Relaxed dining and drinking with a touch of timeless glamour
Edited by Allan Bell

Once we find these keywords which are causing images to be omitted from searches we should make a "Words not to be used as keywords" list.

That should be fun.

Allan

20 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Once we find these keywords which are causing images to be omitted from searches we should make a "Words not to be used as keywords" list.

That should be fun.

Allan

Index verborum prohibitorum. Or INDEX for short.

Now find a nice way to make I.N.D.E.X. into a funny acronym.

wim

• Alamy locked this topic