C129NY.jpg

A61WJT

A61WJT.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

A few more.

Two Chihuahua dogs on leads.  (PA39H0)

two-chihuahua-dogs-on-leads-at-wings-and

Orange brown and white tabby cat in Coffee cats window The Strait Lincoln City.   (2R33JHG)

orange-brown-and-white-tabby-cat-in-coff

Coots fighting.   (D1MGHG)

coots-fighting-D1MGHG.jpg

Robin Redbreast on fence in winter.   (CERD6H)

robin-redbreast-on-fence-in-winter-CERD6

Kestrel hovering looking for food.  (FW0C4A)

falcon-hovering-looking-for-food-isle-of

Captive Scarlet Macaw cleaning foot.  (DG6ET7)

captive-scarlet-macaw-cleaning-foot-zoo-

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

A few more.

Two Chihuahua dogs on leads.  (PA39H0)

two-chihuahua-dogs-on-leads-at-wings-and

Orange brown and white tabby cat in Coffee cats window The Strait Lincoln City.   (2R33JHG)

orange-brown-and-white-tabby-cat-in-coff

Coots fighting.   (D1MGHG)

coots-fighting-D1MGHG.jpg

Robin Redbreast on fence in winter.   (CERD6H)

robin-redbreast-on-fence-in-winter-CERD6

Falcon hovering looking for food.  (FW0C4A)

falcon-hovering-looking-for-food-isle-of

Captive Scarlet Macaw cleaning foot.  (DG6ET7)

captive-scarlet-macaw-cleaning-foot-zoo-

Allan

Great shots Allan!

Are you sure your Falcon is not a Kestrel ? Great BIF (Bird In Flight) image! Well done!

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Great shots Allan!

Are you sure your Falcon is not a Kestrel ? Great BIF (Bird In Flight) image! Well done!

Eurasian Kestrel is a falcon -- they do a fair amount of hovering.   Quick check on falcon vs. accipiter (Eurasian Sparrow hawk, NA Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned hawks, goshawk: falcons have dark eyes as adults and a slight hook between the base of the beak and the tip. Sharpies males are the size of robins; Cooper's hawks are slim and larger.   Falcons are also more closely related to parrots than to the hawks and eagles. 

Quick Google search look like it matches European kestrel.  

Edited by Rebecca Ore
Google check of common name

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Great shots Allan!

I did look it up and not being expert that was the closest I could get at the time. Will check again.

Allan

By the way the photo of the little Robin was taken with a standard lens. I could have held my hand out and I think he would have hopped onto it.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
Add comment

3 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Eurasian Kestrel is a falcon -- they do a fair amount of hovering.   Quick check on falcon vs. accipiter (Eurasian Sparrow hawk, NA Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned hawks, goshawk: falcons have dark eyes as adults and a slight hook between the base of the beak and the tip. Sharpies males are the size of robins; Cooper's hawks are slim and larger.   Falcons are also more closely related to parrots than to the hawks and eagles. 

Quick Google search look like it matches European kestrel.  

Thanks Rebecca. Hope you don't mind if I double check.

Allan

12 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks Rebecca. Hope you don't mind if I double check.

Allan

Allan, you probably have found it now, but this is how you can keyword/caption this bird:

European Kestrel, Eurasian Kestrel, Old World Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus, Falconidae

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Allan, you probably have found it now, but this is how you can keyword/caption this bird:

European Kestrel, Eurasian Kestrel, Old World Kestrel, Falco tinnunculus, Falconidae

Hope this helps.

All done and dusted. Thank you everyone.

Allan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

thanks, but I do not care. Just tested if the image show this way. Well, it doesn´t.

Well, most people just drag the image into their post and show it that way. If you want to provide a link then that's fine of course, but this form takes up a little less room:

https://www.alamy.com/BNP1KW

That works with any Alamy image ID. Actually putting the Image ID separately into the post as well probably helps Alamy compile a list of contenders.

Edited by Harry Harrison

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Well, most people just drag the image into their post and show it that way. If you want to provide a link then that's fine of course, but this form takes up a little less room:

https://www.alamy.com/BNP1KW

That works with any Alamy image ID. Actually putting the Image ID separately into the post as well probably helps Alamy compile a list of contenders.

I still believe that the idea is to post the POTM images on the Alamy Twitter account to be displayed to potential customers, not just a lightbox to be made at the end of the month. 

20 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I still believe that the idea is to post the POTM images on the Alamy Twitter account to be displayed to potential customers, not just a lightbox to be made at the end of the month. 

That's what I originally thought but Louise didn't really say as much in her reply on the Weather thread that sooth linked to, though I'm sure that they are very happy for contributors to do so. Also of course they do post the winning lightbox on there, and elsewhere I imagine.

"Although it's nice for all to see the actual images everyone's submitting, it's actually really helpful for us to get the image IDs, as ultimately, we add all the images to our lightbox which is then shared on twitter and with customers at the end of each month. Which ever way you decide to submit, we enjoy receiving the entries and curating the resulting lightbox!"

In fact I don't personally post on Twitter so it's good that we have this alternative on here.

P.S. Anyone who doesn't normally look at Twitter can get on there and search for #AlamyPOTM to see the images that are being uploaded there to the Alamy Content Team account - @AlamyContent

Edited by Harry Harrison

2 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

That's what I originally thought but Louise didn't really say as much in her reply on the Weather thread that sooth linked to, though I'm sure that they are very happy for contributors to do so. Also of course they do post the winning lightbox on there, and elsewhere I imagine.

"Although it's nice for all to see the actual images everyone's submitting, it's actually really helpful for us to get the image IDs, as ultimately, we add all the images to our lightbox which is then shared on twitter and with customers at the end of each month. Which ever way you decide to submit, we enjoy receiving the entries and curating the resulting lightbox!"

In fact I don't personally post on Twitter so it's good that we have this alternative on here.

P.S. Anyone who doesn't normally look at Twitter can get on there and search for #AlamyPOTM to see the images that are being uploaded there to the Alamy Content Team account - @AlamyContent

Yes, it's correct. I just think that Twitter is a great way to promote yourself when you have a chance.

9 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Yes, it's correct. I just think that Twitter is a great way to promote yourself when you have a chance.

I'm sure, it's something I'd actually quite like to do myself in fact but the new owner does seem to have made a real mess of it. Half the time I don't even get to see a lot of the people I actually follow anymore unless I switch to the awful 'For you' tab. I've seen complaints from some with huge accounts saying that they seem to have lost engagement with their followers. Maybe the new CEO will sort things out because I think advertisers have been leaving in droves.

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

So what's the real point to spend time/effort on this, except playing a childish game in this stellar community?

The announcement sounds ignorant to me because "animal kingdom" is nearly a dimensionless topic. For example, there are 11.6 million images tagged "animal" on Alamy (by comparison, even the "weather" tag is present in "only" 5 million images). If not ignorant, then it demonstrates that Alamy does not really care of animal images submitted here or elsewhere, and that the person who made such announcement just did her job [somehow] or tried to please her bosses.

I do not have Twitter or other social network accounts. I have hard time to believe that customers would be swarming in that place looking at the tremendous "animal kingdom" images selected by the same folks that announced such POTM.

Edited by IKuzmin

1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

So what's the real point to spend time/effort on this, except playing a childish game in this stellar community?

I imagine that you're not looking to me to defend or even define Alamy's Social Media objectives but I suppose they might welcome some constructive criticism from these parts.  I think I see it as a way of engaging the contributors rather than much of a sales tool, certainly anecdotally no one seems to have made any sales as a result of being selected. It does seem like work in progress to me and I suppose we're not in a position to gauge how successful (or otherwise) it is for them. It isn't necessarily just about Social Media as I suppose they might promote these monthly lightboxes to clients in some other way.

For me it wasn't really any extra work and it had the added bonus of highlighting some personal howlers on the caption & keywording front.  We don't have to enter and I'll be giving the Animal Kingdom theme a miss as it's not a subject area I cover anyway, before 'The Weather' last month I hadn't entered since 2019.

Edited by Harry Harrison

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

we're not in a position to gauge how successful (or otherwise) it is for them

I have the right of speech to express my opinion about proficiency of the people who take 60% of my sales (assuming their effort is 1.5x greater than my?)

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

they might promote these monthly lightboxes to clients in some other way

And this is exactly what I was referring to initially: a person who came up with the "animal kingdom" POTM is going to make such a lightbox from the images submitted here and on Twitter to feed the clients?

Obviously, this is not a question to you again...

11 hours ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

thanks, but I do not care. Just tested if the image show this way. Well, it doesn´t.

if you can't drag and drop, you can try the following:

in the image details page, there is a "enlarge 🔍" button at the bottom right corner of the image. [windows] hover mouse cursor over the "enlarge 🔍" button, either right click, or [on a laptop] two finger click to pull up the menu, select "copy image address".  paste [control v] into this page.

if the image details page has the "X" in the middle of the image (which is found in version 2 of the alamy details page), then you have to do the following: hover mouse cursor over the "Download Preview" link, either right click, or [on a laptop] two button click to pull up the menu, select "copy image address", paste it into this page. 

• Alamy unpinned this topic