Alamy on Photoshelter Summit

I listened to it at the time.

It was a summary of what I think we already knew about the 4 subsections of images Alamy have introduced. Ie. Ultimate, Vital etc.

I’m not sure I learned anything new, apart from the fact that it had all been decided and changed in just 12 weeks

Kumar

• Love 1

I listened to it also, saved the audio on my phone. I'm glad that they will be providing a link to it, it's only 15 minutes.  Some basic figures were quite interesting, 300,000 regular customers, 100,000 contributors, 150 staff in UK, USA, India & Australia.

I thought it was quite revealing regarding the motivation behind the June 22 changes though in itself their presentation has to be regarded as a sales pitch to the new market they are trying to reach, this was essentially a Business-to-Business forum. You were encouraged to join them later on 'Slack' whatever that is, there might have been more on there, I don't know.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I listened to it also, saved the audio on my phone. I'm glad that they will be providing a link to it, it's only 15 minutes.  Some basic figures were quite interesting, 300,000 regular customers, 100,000 contributors, 150 staff in UK, USA, India & Australia.

I thought it was quite revealing regarding the motivation behind the June 22 changes though in itself their presentation has to be regarded as a sales pitch to the new market they are trying to reach, this was essentially a Business-to-Business forum. You were encouraged to join them later on 'Slack' whatever that is, there might have been more on there, I don't know.

Slack is an online forum site, like Discord, with various channels (both public and private/invitation only set up by participants). I'm assuming Alamy has a Public channel that we can join, although it may be aimed at potential clients from the sounds of the webinar. You can download the app for your computer or mobile device through the Apple app store or wherever you get your Android or Windows apps. Search for "download Slack."  

Before you look for the Slack app, it seems like you need to be invited to join a channel on Slack and can't just find a public one. At least, I wasn't able to locate one just now. (TBH, I don't use Slack that much anymore, but was active there when I was taking a year's long course. Back then, I just used the channels set up via that class since the other Channels (forums)  I'm active in are al on Discord). 

@Alamy any more info would be appreciated if it makes sense for us to join you on Slack. 

Edited by Marianne

13 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Slack is an online forum site, like Discord

Thanks for the explanation Marianne, that doesn't sound like it's for me but it is possible that some salient points were raised there, that probably wasn't recorded though, although I guess Alamy might share some of it. As you say, I think the whole thing was aimed at potential clients so it wouldn't have been appropriate to ask questions from the contributor's point of view. In fact the guy from Photoshelter did ask about the contributors at the end but that will be on the recording.

11 hours ago, Marianne said:

Before you look for the Slack app, it seems like you need to be invited to join a channel on Slack and can't just find a public one.

Actually, listening to it again, it was Jeremy Berkowitz from Photoshelter who invited us all, including Alamy, to join them on Slack, this would be the Photoshelter Brands Slack Community and they provided an invitation link, it's quite possible that Alamy don't have a presence there.

This Photoshelter Summit, their first UK/EU summit apparently, was organised by Photoshelter Brands, which is their own Digital Asset Management system aimed at corporates, separate to the Photoshelter for Photographers which some of us use. On the face of it a slightly strange fit for Alamy but I suppose they are looking to reach some of the Photoshelter corporate clients.

The Alamy segment was entitled A Smart Guide to Finding Photos: How To Enable Faster Visual Storytelling which is I suppose why it focused on the new Ultimate, Vital, Foundation and Uncut collections, introduced incidentally because Alamy saw themselves as a boring brand in a creative industry, known more as an 'editorial travel agency'.

Photoshelter Brands are pushing AI for image searching and at the end Alan Capel referred to new methods coming in the future for helping buyers find images, watch this space perhaps.

Edited by Harry Harrison

On 26/02/2023 at 03:02, Harry Harrison said:

Actually, listening to it again, it was Jeremy Berkowitz from Photoshelter who invited us all, including Alamy, to join them on Slack, this would be the Photoshelter Brands Slack Community and they provided an invitation link, it's quite possible that Alamy don't have a presence there.

This Photoshelter Summit, their first UK/EU summit apparently, was organised by Photoshelter Brands, which is their own Digital Asset Management system aimed at corporates, separate to the Photoshelter for Photographers which some of us use. On the face of it a slightly strange fit for Alamy but I suppose they are looking to reach some of the Photoshelter corporate clients.

The Alamy segment was entitled A Smart Guide to Finding Photos: How To Enable Faster Visual Storytelling which is I suppose why it focused on the new Ultimate, Vital, Foundation and Uncut collections, introduced incidentally because Alamy saw themselves as a boring brand in a creative industry, known more as an 'editorial travel agency'.

Photoshelter Brands are pushing AI for image searching and at the end Alan Capel referred to new methods coming in the future for helping buyers find images, watch this space perhaps.

Thanks for the clarification Harry!

• Like 1