Adorama has SOny RX10 open box for $937!

Wow, good for you, Linda . . . that $300 would have bought me some nice lunches. I hope the RX10 works well for you. 

Thanks Ed,so do I. I've gone thru so many cameras this year since my injury in April.I've realized:

*I need a viewfinder

*wide angle to 200mm

*fast aperture and I do not like variable aperture lenses.

*Do not want to invest in another system with more lenses,different flash units since I use the Canon 6D for work and have almost everything I need...except a decent ultra wide angle. :-)

Great price from Adorama. I have a $125 gift certificate from Amazon I was prepared to use before the end of the year but Adorama beat them on price.

I still have to sell the Sony RX100M2;will try on craigslist since ebay might not be a good bet if someone wants it for Christmas.

I can't wait to get it!

L

Two years ago I bought a Nikon 24-120 f/4 zoom from Adorama. I went into the store on 18th Street to pay the asking price, but my sale lady offered me a refurbished lens at a savings of $300. I always thought that refurbished equipment gets special hands-on treatment from Nikon or whoever, better really than a piece just off the assembly line. That zoom got some bad reviews at the time but mine was and is very good. 

I bought the 3 year warranty for $27 as well.Good deal in comparison to what other 3rd party warranties cost.

I've shopped at B&H and Adorama since my 3rd year as a photographer in the late 70s.

Years 1 and 2 freelancing, I was so poor I couldn't pay attention!

I had 3 copies of that Nikon zoom and like the Canon 24-105mm it just depends on your specific copy.

I am not crazy about my 3rd copy of the Canon 24-105mm either,especially on the long end.

L

2 months ago I bought the Sony RX100M2 for $750 and I just sold it for $580.00.

Cameras sure are not holding their value very well...unless it's the Nikon D700 or Sony RX1 that seem to be holding up at a somewhat reasonable price.

So,gald I bought this one for $360 off the list price.

I plan to hang onto it for at least a year.

L

Linda for a whole year?

That must seem like an eternity.   :D

I know! I will have to stop going on sites like dpreview that's for sure.

No more 'G.A.S'(gear acquisition syndrome) for me!

L

I received the Sony RX10 today.I would not have known if it was an open box had they not stated it! Everything is perfect and there were no shutter activations on the camera.

The camera is much  lighter than my Canon 6D DSLR with any full frame zoom would be.
The battery had enough juice for a few frames and the response was quick and accurate shooting...my computer screen.

I like that it instantly senses macro at any zoom setting so you don't have to go to the menu or find the button.

Battery is recharging...It's too icy to venture out today but I may go out Saturday weather permitting.

It's a bit big for a normal purse but I recently purchased on ebay for under $40 this camera bag which can hold my Canon 6D,extra lens,flash and accessories for when I don't feel like lugging a heavy camera bag and I'm not on a work shoot.

It's a lightweight bag that does not scream,'Camera bag.' The RX10,flash,iphone,bottle of water and iPad will all fit perfectly.

heck I may get the RX1R next spring and just have these 2 cameras to travel with. I still love and appreciate full frame sensors but this camera definitely can do a good portion of the types of things I'd photograph.

http://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-ZINC-Messenger-Digital-Camera/dp/B004H1V6HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387576529&sr=8-1&keywords=Swiss+zinc+camera+bag

L

I had the RX1 over the spring and it wasn't small but not big either.Bigger than the RX100 series,smaller than the RX10 seeing it only has equivalent of a 35mm lens.

I've heard the focus is better on the RX1R than the RX1 so that is why I am considering that.

I like a camera with exceptional low light capabilities and lightweight for other projects.

L

OOPS...Now I figured out,'Open Box.'

No software was included with my Sony RX10! I just realized this when I started going thru the manual.

I think I'd only need it to be able to use the wifi to send photos to my phone and computer thru wifi?

I use Lightroom for processing and do not need their gallery or post processing.

I've never dealt with Sony support.Think they'd send off a CD?

L

No software was included with my Sony RX10! I just realized this when I started going thru the manual.

I think I'd only need it to be able to use the wifi to send photos to my phone and computer thru wifi?

I use Lightroom for processing and do not need their gallery or post processing.

L

The app is a download as far as I can see.

RX10 support

PMM app

Not sure what else you could be needing. The new Adobe Raw converter ACR 8.3 has a camera profile on board according to Adobe.

wim

edit: the Windows software seems completely the same for the RX10 and the RX100 II. It's missing from the RX10 support page (the MacOs version is there) but it's there on the RX100 support pages like here

hth

L

The app is a download as far as I can see.

RX10 support

PMM app

Not sure what else you could be needing. The new Adobe Raw converter ACR 8.3 has a camera profile on board according to Adobe.

wim

edit: the Windows software seems completely the same for the RX10 and the RX100 II. It's missing from the RX10 support page (the MacOs version is there) but it's there on the RX100 support pages like here

hth

Thanks for the links!   L

I love my Sony RX10. I had tix for a musical performance and though I was in row,"S' I managed to get some decent images at iso 640,wide open at 1/160 at 200mm.

Wondering though...anyone suggest an external flash that I can use off-camera with this. Can I use my Canon 580EXII flash? Will it harm the camera?

I tried my generic Yongnuo remotes that usually work on all cameras I've had except for this.Not sure if I am doing something wrong in my settings or that it is just not compatible.

L

That's great, Linda . . . so it's a Happy Christmas.  I have three or four flash units around here that I haven't tried with the RX10 yet . . . But I don't use flash regularly, as you need to do on your celeb shoots. I shoot for stock when I'm attracted by the light. Self indulgent? Maybe, but I did all the things right for assignments for a long time, and now I'm ready to be self indulgent. 

I think this camera is a winner. Try to adjust to the few things you may have a problem with . . . instead of returning it too soon.  ;)

A bridge camera? Maybe, but everybody in this forum is moving in the opposite direction on the bridge, from a DSLR to smaller and lighter.  :)

Merry Christmas, shooters!

Oh,it's definitely a keeper. This camera would be the 'rockstar of camera's if it had an APS-C sensor with this great lens.Then I'm sure it would also be bigger.

I noticed no distortion or purple fringing while shooting indoors. It seriously did a better job at iso 640 than I was able to get in the past with my Canon 60D at iso 400 which really doesn't even look good to me at 400.

I'm on a diet,physically and camera wise for the new year!

Happy Holidays everyone!

L

I lost 25 pounds in 2 minutes. I left all my DSL gear at home! :D

I don't have CA on the Sony but my Canon 60D and with the 17-40 and 24-105 I do.

My on and off boyfriend(ok,just a good friend,he's not been promoted yet) and I go to the best of restaurants(he pays'cause ya know he's really successful and..I'm a photographer in a changing biz climate... :-)

and seeing he's out of town most of the time we just don't have a normal stay at home and cook kind of life which I am actually glad for!

L

Archived