People in a calendar photo?

Hi all, just been sorting out a few shots that may be suitable for a calendar use but some have people in them, I wonder if you could tell me if this is ok, most calendars I look at seem to be devoid of people, also what if the shots are taken in a public place, Eg off a road? 

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nick, I fear this is a question for a lawyer. If the use of the person's image is not clearly editorial, you need a signed release. I don't think a calendar is editorial.

Thanks' Ed, that's what I was thinking 

In my view this is entirely a matter for the calendar publisher. If they decide to go without a release, it's their risk. The photographer isn't the publisher. But it's not a particularly popular view.

In the US, where suing is a sport and lawyers go after everyone and their cat, I wouldn't fancy my chances.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2022 at 16:48, Nick Hatton said:

Hi all, just been sorting out a few shots that may be suitable for a calendar use but some have people in them, I wonder if you could tell me if this is ok, most calendars I look at seem to be devoid of people, also what if the shots are taken in a public place, Eg off a road? 

If they are recognisable I probably wouldn't bother anyway from an aesthetics point of view (it doesn't seem to fit the intended market for a calendar). If they are dots on the horizon I think it would be fine?

• Love 1

I used to buy "Guatemala Rainbow" calendars that had plenty of photos of Maya people. I doubt that they had signed model releases. I guess depends a lot on who is in the images and where or when the pictures were taken.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

On 14/11/2022 at 01:37, spacecadet said:

In my view this is entirely a matter for the calendar publisher. If they decide to go without a release, it's their risk. The photographer isn't the publisher. But it's not a particularly popular view.

In the US, where suing is a sport and lawyers go after everyone and their cat, I wouldn't fancy my chances.

A sport indeed. A certain former president whom we won't name, discuss or even think about reportedly has sued or tried to sue at least 3500 times. 🤐

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nick, I supplied a calendar company for a number of years until it was sold and the format was always for landscape not portrait shaped images.

The standard shaped calendar they produced was A4/ A3 but they also did a 100mm (W) x 297mm (H) slim calendar which they would just crop the photo to suit. When I first started sending to them they said that they wanted images that did not have people in them, just clean images.

Take a look at these and you will see what l mean.

https://www.calendarclub.co.uk/collections/carousel-calendars/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgribBhDkARIsAASA5bsDJ_j4r7Fv2bVqDqedVNNC8rafAMJ_HgFCBZ2_IvYGvhN280Sn_XkaAj4CEALw_wcB

Best Nigel

Edited by Nigel Kirby

21 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Hi Nick, I supplied a calendar company for a number of years until it was sold and the format was always for landscape not portrait shaped images.

The standard shaped calendar they produced was A4/ A3 but they also did a 100mm (W) x 297mm (H) slim calendar which they would just crop the photo to suit. When I first started sending to them they said that they wanted images that did not have people in them, just clean images.

Take a look at these and you will see what l mean.

https://www.calendarclub.co.uk/collections/carousel-calendars/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgribBhDkARIsAASA5bsDJ_j4r7Fv2bVqDqedVNNC8rafAMJ_HgFCBZ2_IvYGvhN280Sn_XkaAj4CEALw_wcB

Best Nigel

Thanks Nigel, great help

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Hatton said:

That's it! but just try getting them with no people

They were all in that pub on the right. So maybe wait till lunchtime? 😀

Yours certainly wouldn't have recognisable people at calendar size. But I've certainly had a page-a-day calendar licence with recognisable people, and in the US, too. But the image was from Italy so perhaps there's a risk assessment. This one.

TD3TKR.jpg

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

the-barge-inn-on-the-kennet-and-avon-can

What is this, Top Trumps or summat? Anyway that's turned up to at least 12. Like wot I do nowadays.

I see he's had a respray😉 And that bloke on the bike would sue, he looks the type.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

What is this, Top Trumps or summat? Anyway that's turned up to at least 12. Like wot I do nowadays.

I see he's had a respray😉 And that bloke on the bike would sue, he looks the type.

Soon sort him out with the clone stamp tool!