my first upload getting upload error without any reasons mentioned.

ShutterBug Maverick

Question

hi all,

new to this forum. Tried to upload 3 pictures (jpg) but getting upload error without anything mentioned.

pictures are taken with full frame DSLR. pic resolutions are 6016 x 4016 , 14.3 MB compressed jpg, uncompressed image size in Ps is 138.2M, exported with Lr without any export sharpening, with full metadata. Any help would be great.

5 minutes ago, ShutterBug Maverick said:

i have tried chrome and safari browsers. both drag and drop and browse methods

I upload using Firefox 🙃

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped, looks like you're doing everything ok. If nothing from the Forum works, try emailing:

contributors@alamy.com

No idea either, I have just dragged and dropped 10 images from Chrome on Windows no probs.

Edit: ....although I am getting quite a lot of 'community temporarily unavailable' messages at the moment so maybe there is an issue that has just occurred (maybe another order from China updating....those $0 take a lot of processing ;) )

Edited by Martin L

I'm not sure, I haven't uploaded standard shots in a while, but it looks like your images get rejection automatically (right top corner of the screenshot). Check if highlights are not on 255/255/255 (unfortunately that is a common mistake by newbies). On both images from your screenshots the highlights/flare are very strong - the first reason for rejection (bad exposure).

As this is your first upload - try to provide balanced images, stick to the guidelines: https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-how-to-pass-qc.pdf

Hint: If you are not sure how that works in LR - click the top right triangle on the histogram - and use highlight recovery until you get rid of the red overlay from the image.

Edited by Pav

12 minutes ago, Pav said:

I'm not sure, I haven't uploaded standard shots in a while, but it looks like your images get rejection automatically (right top corner of the screenshot). Check if highlights are not on 255/255/255 (unfortunately that is a common mistake by newbies). On both images from your screenshots the highlights/flare are very strong - the first reason for rejection (bad exposure).

As this is your first upload - try to provide balanced images, stick to the guidelines: https://www.alamy.com/contributors/alamy-how-to-pass-qc.pdf

Hint: If you are not sure how that works in LR - click the top right triangle on the histogram - and use highlight recovery until you get rid of the red overlay from the image.

This is not a QC rejection. It's an upload problem.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, gvallee said:

This is not a QC rejection. It's an upload problem.

Please read the top right carefully: 1st submission. 1 image rejected. Having business like Alamy I would invest every penny to save time of my QC guys. And exposure is the easiest to verify, I scripted similar modules in the past. I could be wrong this time but my images go.

Edited by Pav

22 minutes ago, Pav said:

Please read the top right carefully: 1st submission. 1 image rejected. Having business like Alamy I would invest every penny to save time of my QC guys. And exposure is the easiest to verify, I scripted similar modules in the past. I could be wrong this time but my images go.

I do get this message when there is an upload problem, when my internet connection drops or whatever. It's definitely not a QC rejection. At this stage, it hasn't even reached Alamy.

The issue might be with the file size of 138MB. Although allowed, some contributors have reported problems uploading such big files.

Edited by gvallee

8 minutes ago, gvallee said:

The issue might be with the file size of 138M. Although allowed, some contributors have reported problems uploading such big files.

LOL, 138MB JPG? My grainy scan of 38Mpx is smaller than 30MB in JPG...

Agree with Gen, not a QC issue, however the jpg is only 14mb not 138mb so size shouldn't be a prob.

I think the clue is that no other images get uploaded, it bombs out on the first suggesting a network/server/upload issue.

Edited by Martin L

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

And you tell me to read??!! OP said the uncompressed size is 138MB. 

Just to explain technical aspects of the image processing: uncompressed size of 138MB indicates 46Mpx frame (as that is 3xRGB information in 8 bits).

OP's file - 6000x4000px should be 72MB uncompressed, then JPG saves about 40-80% of the file size. Some of my biggest images uploaded earlier were ca. 145M uncompressed (39MB file size)...

Edited by Pav

4 hours ago, ShutterBug Maverick said:

i have tried chrome and safari browsers. both drag and drop and browse methods

This could be problems on your network.   I have to reboot my router from time to time and had to add a different server for routing.  I have a relay router in an upstairs room and it and the router near my modem sometimes stop talking.  Speedtest is a coarse test of connections, but is handy when a coarse fast test is what you need. 

11 hours ago, Pav said:

tried this also. there was some highlight clippings. got rid of those but still the issue is same. Upload Error - without any explanation.

9 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

This could be problems on your network.   I have to reboot my router from time to time and had to add a different server for routing.  I have a relay router in an upstairs room and it and the router near my modem sometimes stop talking.  Speedtest is a coarse test of connections, but is handy when a coarse fast test is what you need. 

Network is fine. getting uploads in all other websites without any issue.

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

ISTR that JPG images need to be saved as Baseline ("Standard") or Baseline Optimised for Alamy uploader to accept them and NOT Progressive which will be rejected. Could that be the issue?

Mark

i am exporting through lightroom so the option of saving as Baseline ("Standard") or Baseline Optimised does not arise. exporting without any sharpening, image quality 100, with all Metadate, fine renaming with only letters and numbers. The issue is still same Upload Error - without any explanation.

Are you trying to upload one image at a time? If so, try populating all three slots before hitting Submit. Also, Alamy seems to have issues with slow Internet connections, so that could be a problem if you have a noisy link. Other than that, you will probably have to contact Alamy directly (they refuse to answer questions asked in this forum).

1 minute ago, DJ Myford said:

Are you trying to upload one image at a time? If so, try populating all three slots before hitting Submit. Also, Alamy seems to have issues with slow Internet connections, so that could be a problem if you have a noisy link. Other than that, you will probably have to contact Alamy directly (they refuse to answer questions asked in this forum).

i am not hitting Submit button, just after image get uploaded in alamy, the Upload Error is coming. Raised the issue with Alamy Directly, but their answer is standard and of little help.