my first upload getting upload error without any reasons mentioned.

ShutterBug Maverick

Question

hi all,

new to this forum. Tried to upload 3 pictures (jpg) but getting upload error without anything mentioned.

pictures are taken with full frame DSLR. pic resolutions are 6016 x 4016 , 14.3 MB compressed jpg, uncompressed image size in Ps is 138.2M, exported with Lr without any export sharpening, with full metadata. Any help would be great.

37 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

All jpegs are 8 bit, but I was wondering if somehow the original RAW, (although I can't think why) being 16 bit affects it.  Don't know why it should, just grasping at straws on what the issue it.  Have you emailed Alamy?

Jill

yes i have already raised the issue with Alamy but their response is of no help. it says upload sRGB, high quality, uncompressed 17MB, file name with letters & numbers only, then again responded by saying your file size is too big (they think)... but i have tried will all what they suggested, even by 50% resolution (3000 x 2000) file size but same result. Upload Error.

27 minutes ago, ShutterBug Maverick said:

yes i have already raised the issue with Alamy but their response is of no help. it says upload sRGB, high quality, uncompressed 17MB, file name with letters & numbers only, then again responded by saying your file size is too big (they think)... but i have tried will all what they suggested, even by 50% resolution (3000 x 2000) file size but same result. Upload Error.

Save your tiff as an 8bit instead of 16 bit, and then do the jpg from that file.  See if it makes a difference.  Could be the 138mb is what they are referring as too big. Again, grasping at straws.

Jill

15 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

I don't think the script should run until you hit Submit. Initial submissions must be three images - no more, no less - or I believe they will be rejected automatically. Is the image actually uploading, or is the script throwing an error immediately? If it is uploading, can you populate at least one other slot before the upload completes, then get in a third before the second finishes going through?

I've had a photo rejected for being too small before the upload was complete, but that didn't throw off the whole upload.    I'm re-reading the whole thread to see if anything looks like it could be the problem or part of the problem.

7 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Save your tiff as an 8bit instead of 16 bit, and then do the jpg from that file.  See if it makes a difference.  Could be the 138mb is what they are referring as too big. Again, grasping at straws.

Jill

I exportt from Lightroom without working photos in Photoshop most of the time.  Conversion to .tiff can make for a large file.  If you're using the latest Photoshop, I'm finding it creates a tiff that exports into jpegs larger than just a simple LR export even from a DXO tiff.   I have no idea whether this is the problem or not, but perhaps finding suitable photos that can be exported from LR without a pass through PS will work, or at least rule this out.

(I found an interesting bug in the latest LR -- it goes crazy and hangs when I tried to increase the font size.  Had to delete the preferences and restart my computer to get it behaving again--latest versions can be fun).

My LR exported jpgs are half the size of yours when I open them in PS, but the files that Photoshop imports through LR are the size of yours.  Not sure that is the issue, though, but a simple test of using export straight from LR should be sufficient test.  I'm more likely to run files through DXO than Photoshop.  If I open the raw file directly in Photoshop, it's about 68 MP.  If I export it from LR to PS, the sizes are what yours are. 

Try direct exports from LR without running the file to PS and back before exporting.   Don't know if this will solve the problem or not, but your expanded file sizes look like they're double what I'm getting exporting from LR to my upload folders.

On 08/11/2022 at 12:45, sooth said:

Somebody had this problem before, it was their (slow) Internet. If it takes too long to upload, the server closes connection.

if you can upload from a different place with faster internet, maybe a different computer, that might work.