What is a good set up for Canon EOS 700D?

Hello! I was talking about to upgrade my pocket camera recently and my partner just hand me a Canon EOS 700D and I am just learning how to use it. Photography is my Hobby and I know I am not good at it as other photographer here. So I set up my Canon EOS 700D to P with AI autofocus and tried on taking pictures the photo was very clear but the problem is i cannot upload the files on alamy and even to adobe lightroom won't accept it. What did i do wrong? can anybody tell me what to do?

26 minutes ago, rose22 said:

.. but the problem is i cannot upload the files on alamy and even to adobe lightroom won't accept it. What did i do wrong? can anybody tell me what to do?

they are jpg files?

46 minutes ago, sooth said:

they are jpg files?

unfortunately when i transfer the files on my laptop its not jpg files, but i edit it make it as jpg or jpeg, and it won't upload to my alamy

2 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Can you answer these questions

1. What is the file extension on the files that you copy to the laptop, are they .jpg or .CR2 files?

2. How do you edit it to make it a .jpg file?

CR2 is the file then i save as my file to jpg

Okay, that is the issue.

The .CR2 is a raw file, it needs to be processed before you can save it as a .jpg, you can't just rename it.

Can you load the .CR2 file directly into LR? If so then use that to save it to a .jpg.

The other option is to change the settings on the camera to take .jpg not .CR2.

However if you are serious about Alamy you need to take .CR2 (raw) files and learn to process them properly.

6 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Okay, that is the issue.

The .CR2 is a raw file, it needs to be processed before you can save it as a .jpg, you can't just rename it.

Can you load the .CR2 file directly into LR? If so then use that to save it to a .jpg.

The other option is to change the settings on the camera to take .jpg not .CR2.

However if you are serious about Alamy you need to take .CR2 (raw) files and learn to process them properly.

i have to figure out how

19 minutes ago, rose22 said:

unfortunately when i transfer the files on my laptop its not jpg files, but i edit it make it as jpg or jpeg, and it won't upload to my alamy

a dumb question, but when you edit the files, you are editing them in lightroom, but you mentioned lightroom does not accept it?

the files I guess are *.cr2 canon files? 

you do have the option to shoot *.jpg on the camera and just upload them as-is.   just go into your camera menu and find the option [see below for camera manual link in english/chinese]

However, *.cr2 (raw file) are 100% better for editing. I don't know if you have a new LR, or an old LR, but here are the minimum LR versions and the minimum raw plug in you need to edit the files for the canon 700D https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Camera

EOS 700D
(EOS Digital Rebel T5i, EOS Kiss X7i)

Raw image filename extension

CR2

Camera matching profile available

Yes

Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required

Minimum Lightroom version required

Minimum Lightroom Classic version required

Minimum Lightroom Perpetual version required

If you have a really old LR version that's older than the camera, maybe LR CC version?, then might not work

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-will-not-import-my-cr2-files/td-p/10396224

what will work with CR2 files is canon DPP which is free, just need the camera serial number.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-t5i#idReference%3Dsoftware-drivers

english/chinese support (canon dpp software, camera user manuals, etc)

https://hk.canon/en/support/EOS 700D/model

https://hk.canon/zh_HK/support/eos 700d/model

I have a canon camera, but I have an old photoshop version, that won't work with any of the new adobe raw plugins, so i use dpp to convert and do some minor editing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rose22 said:

i have to figure out how

Which 'how'? Open in LR? Process it? Export as JPG?

You are not very specific in your problems which makes it very hard to help you.

Sooth has given some good pointers above as well

Edited by Martin L
  • Love 1

Adobe also has a standalone program that converts camera brand specific raw files to .dng universal (more or less) raw files.  You will do best to edit in raw, either the camera native raw or .dng (Digital something something). 

Don't know what's available in your area or how your current finances are, but you might want to take a course in Lightroom, or buy or check out your local library for books on digital editing.  Or spend time looking at the better YouTube videos.  We can't see what you're seeing, and you can't see what we're suggesting.

You can not change the format of an image by changing .(your camera's  raw file format designation) to .jpeg or .jpg.  The pull down "save as" menu will make the conversion.

I let LR Classic import files for me, don't import them with the computer (drag and drop or copy and paste) and then point LRC at them. 

Other people do it differently, and what works works. 

Let's start with which version of LR perpetual (before Creative Cloud) you have.   Older version YouTube videos might be a good place to start if you do have an old LR version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Adobe also has a standalone program that converts camera brand specific raw files to .dng universal (more or less) raw files.  You will do best to edit in raw, either the camera native raw or .dng (Digital something something). 

Don't know what's available in your area or how your current finances are, but you might want to take a course in Lightroom, or buy or check out your local library for books on digital editing.  Or spend time looking at the better YouTube videos.  We can't see what you're seeing, and you can't see what we're suggesting.

You can not change the format of an image by changing .(your camera's  raw file format designation) to .jpeg or .jpg.  The pull down "save as" menu will make the conversion.

I let LR Classic import files for me, don't import them with the computer (drag and drop or copy and paste) and then point LRC at them. 

Other people do it differently, and what works works. 

Let's start with which version of LR perpetual (before Creative Cloud) you have.   Older version YouTube videos might be a good place to start if you do have an old LR version.

thanks for the advice i just set my camera to fully automatic instead then edit to LR is like it's already JPG, LR won't accept my CR2 files it accepting the JPG files

23 hours ago, Martin L said:

Which 'how'? Open in LR? Process it? Export as JPG?

You are not very specific in your problems which makes it very hard to help you.

Sooth has given some good pointers above as well

I think when i open my LR my CR2 files is not accepted but it's accepted my JPG files 

On 24/10/2022 at 12:19, sooth said:

a dumb question, but when you edit the files, you are editing them in lightroom, but you mentioned lightroom does not accept it?

the files I guess are *.cr2 canon files? 

you do have the option to shoot *.jpg on the camera and just upload them as-is.   just go into your camera menu and find the option [see below for camera manual link in english/chinese]

However, *.cr2 (raw file) are 100% better for editing. I don't know if you have a new LR, or an old LR, but here are the minimum LR versions and the minimum raw plug in you need to edit the files for the canon 700D https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Camera

EOS 700D
(EOS Digital Rebel T5i, EOS Kiss X7i)

Raw image filename extension

CR2

Camera matching profile available

Yes

Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required

Minimum Lightroom version required

Minimum Lightroom Classic version required

Minimum Lightroom Perpetual version required

If you have a really old LR version that's older than the camera, maybe LR CC version?, then might not work

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-will-not-import-my-cr2-files/td-p/10396224

what will work with CR2 files is canon DPP which is free, just need the camera serial number.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-t5i#idReference%3Dsoftware-drivers

english/chinese support (canon dpp software, camera user manuals, etc)

https://hk.canon/en/support/EOS 700D/model

https://hk.canon/zh_HK/support/eos 700d/model

I have a canon camera, but I have an old photoshop version, that won't work with any of the new adobe raw plugins, so i use dpp to convert and do some minor editing.

yeah i know i have dump question i am sorry i am new to this camera im just trying to learning. thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, rose22 said:

I think when i open my LR my CR2 files is not accepted but it's accepted my JPG files 

Here is what I would do if I were you

Carry on taking .CR2 (raw) files. These will give you more flexibility in editing. JPGs are quite restrictive unless you get it spot on in camera.

Forget LR if you have issues (it should be ok unless as Mark says its really old. It is difficult to understand what is going on I'm afraid with out looking over your shoulder). 

Download Canons own RAW processor called DPP as sooth suggested. It is free and a good starting point to learn processing raw files, correcting exposure adding saturation etc and will have no probs with your .cr2 files. There are lots of tutorials on the the internet.

PS. sooth was not accusing you of a dumb question, he was saying it about his question.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

What version of LR are you using? It must be quite old if it won't load a Canon 700D .CR2 raw file.

Mark

oh im sorry i am using adobe lightroom for free i am not subscribe though

10 hours ago, Martin L said:

Here is what I would do if I were you

Carry on taking .CR2 (raw) files. These will give you more flexibility in editing. JPGs are quite restrictive unless you get it spot on in camera.

Forget LR if you have issues (it should be ok unless as Mark says its really old. It is difficult to understand what is going on I'm afraid with out looking over your shoulder). 

Download Canons own RAW processor called DPP as sooth suggested. It is free and a good starting point to learn processing raw files, correcting exposure adding saturation etc and will have no probs with your .cr2 files. There are lots of tutorials on the the internet.

PS. sooth was not accusing you of a dumb question, he was saying it about his question.

thanks for the advice and explanation it helps alot

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rose22 said:

oh im sorry i am using adobe lightroom for free i am not subscribe though

Which version was my question?   B. I've been using LR since my Nikon D50, sometime in 2005 or earlier.  I bought one copy of it with an academic discount when I was working for Drexel.  I don't remember it ever being free.  Before LR, I used Gimp, which was and is still free. 

Before anything else, you need to understand your camera and its' settings.  Download the manual from the Canon site or look on youtube for some instructional videos. Just using the Auto setting will not work very well over time.  I find most cameras will compensate with higher ISO settings which in the end gives you noisy images that will not be accepted by Alamy.

You're trying to jump in the deep end before you've learned to swim.  Master the camera, and then master the post processing.  I generally shoot aperture priority with as low an ISO setting as I can get away with.  I let the camera select the shutter speed.  This is my general rule unless shutter speed is mandatorily high and I am in low light, then I switch to either manual settings or shutter priority.  You need to learn how to set the camera based on subject and environment.

Jill

• Like 4

I agree with Jill about mastering your camera first.  You can never understand how/why certain lighting situations need to be over or under exposed...when to use a fast or slow shutter speed or when to use a wide or narrow aperture.  It's like showing up at car race track and not knowing how to use a manual transmission.  

My brother took up photography after retiring and he bought a real nice Nikon DSLR and wanted to use it in full automatic to shoot everything and after a lot of convincing I got him to learn his camera and shoot in manual as much as he can.  Once he learned his camera, his photography improved dramatically.  He thanked me for pushing him to get off the AUTO Modes.   Now I am not saying that the AUTO Modes have no purpose or usefulness, I use them at times, but just knowing when to use them is half the battle.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

, I use them at times, but just knowing when to use them is half the battle.

Quite. I usually use program, but I do know why. All those little pictograms on the rest of the dial? Not a scooby what they do.

The dial on my A58 is a little unsticky- when it falls off you're on your own this side of a tube of Bostik.

Edited by spacecadet